House Price Crash Forum
bubbleizer

Renting A Council Flat

Hi!

I have been in a private rented house for a few months now, and I have found out that it is a council home and the landlord has it in a leasehold basis.

Is it legal for him to rent that flat at a market price?

I wound't like to find myself in an illegal rental!

If it is legal I am a bit disgusted that this people got the flat for a bargain for humanitary reasons (and with the money of all the taxpayers) and now they are making an outrageous profit off it.

Thanks

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Hi!

I have been in a private rented house for a few months now, and I have found out that it is a council home and the landlord has it in a leasehold basis.

Is it legal for him to rent that flat at a market price?

I wound't like to find myself in an illegal rental!

If it is legal I am a bit disgusted that this people got the flat for a bargain for humanitary reasons (and with the money of all the taxpayers) and now they are making an outrageous profit off it.

Thanks

If he purchased it as a Right To Buy, I see no problem for him if he has rented it out.

If it has been purchased on a personal mortgage he could also be in breach of the terms and conditions.

As a tenant he would have broken the terms of his tenancy and can be evicted.

I suspect this is quite a common thing

If he purchased it as a Right To Buy, I see no problem for him if he has rented it out.

If it has been purchased on a personal mortgage he could also be in breach of the terms and conditions.

As a tenant he would have broken the terms of his tenancy and can be evicted.

I suspect this is quite a common thing

you suspect right Charlie. In fact, considering the amount of abuse of what little social housing is left, I wonder what happens to the people who genuinely need it.

I understand that successive governments have consciously tried to privatise social housing, but I'm far from convinced of the wisdom of doing so. I suppose the full ramifications will only become clear after this crash has played out

Guest Charlie The Tramp

you suspect right Charlie. In fact, considering the amount of abuse of what little social housing is left, I wonder what happens to the people who genuinely need it.

Incredible, the wife has just returned from her parents who have a council property. Evidently they quickly evicted a tenant who sub let the flat for £550 a month while paying a subsidised rent of £150 per month. It appears he/she returned to live with his/her parents.

This could be endemic nationwide

Incredible, the wife has just returned from her parents who have a council property. Evidently they quickly evicted a tenant who sub let the flat for £550 a month while paying a subsidised rent of £150 per month. It appears he/she returned to live with his/her parents.

This could be endemic nationwide

yup - most councils are quite happy for tenants to sublet provided that there is full disclosure of the details and the amounts changing hands. However, I suspect that they simply lack the resources to properly police this.