House Price Crash Forum
apom

Spending Under Control..?

In a recent comparison of high end televisions to find the true best picture the costs of the TV's moved into the thousands.. Plasma against TFT.. moving up into bespoke beautiful kit..

In the end the comparison was won bya £350 CRT...

So how is my home Cinema set up..?

£100 on a 21inch wharfdale CRT

£35 on a multi region DVD player..

£35 on a surround sound set up...

and its fantastic..

Car... well everyone is buying new.. Mewers etc.. its pushed the cost of a second hand car to the floor..

What do I drive? I drive a 1995 alfa romeo 155..

It cost me £800 three years ago.. hasn't missed a beat since I bought it and It knocks out 150bhp and pulls over 40 mpg on a run.. great car.. lovely to drive.. But its an Alfa so it depreciatte like a stone.. So buy one second hand..

New cars have been so much better for way over a decade... They don't rust.. The suspension doesent collapse at 80,000 miles anymore and the engines are good for 200,000 miles..

Somehow they have become more disposible now then ever.. Weird..

I have two bikes... a naked Triumph 900 stood me £2000 and a suzie SV 650 stood me £800 plus £200 to restore on top of my time.. ( I enjoy it so I don't charge myself the time.. sad man)

So two bikes and a car and home cinema were £3500

about £3700 with my home cinema..

Why am I sharing this..

I feel bad spending £400 on oliver sweeney shoes at the weekend..

also.. care with money dioes not mean no fun

In a recent comparison of high end televisions to find the true best picture the costs of the TV's moved into the thousands.. Plasma against TFT.. moving up into bespoke beautiful kit..

and its fantastic..

Car... well everyone is buying new.. Mewers etc.. its pushed the cost of a second hand car to the floor..

It cost me £800 three years ago.. hasn't missed a beat...

Consider yourself lucky, they're nice when they're working but those things break down when wind blows the wrong way, leave it out in the rain for one night and it will rot to bits :lol:

I would never buy a brand new car. Total waste of money. You lose 20% the minute you drive it off the forecourt. Decent secondhand is the way to go.

I dunno, for some people there is a reassurance with a new car, you know everything is brand new rather than thrashed in a former life. Reliability can trump money, especially when it comes to keeping bangers on the road and getting them through MOT's.

I dunno, for some people there is a reassurance with a new car, you know everything is brand new rather than thrashed in a former life. Reliability can trump money, especially when it comes to keeping bangers on the road and getting them through MOT's.

Yep, that was my situation with my current car (Nissan). I normally wouldn't dream of buying a new one but the prices had just that weekend been slashed and my previous car, at a mere 4 years old, had broken down every single winter and was picking up new faults every few weeks. The day I went for a test drive, the back wiper motor seized up - I will never buy another Fiat as long as I live. So I just thought "sod it" and bought new. It's been a great car so far and it's now almost 5 years old...

Yep, that was my situation with my current car (Nissan). I normally wouldn't dream of buying a new one but the prices had just that weekend been slashed and my previous car, at a mere 4 years old, had broken down every single winter and was picking up new faults every few weeks. The day I went for a test drive, the back wiper motor seized up - I will never buy another Fiat as long as I live. So I just thought "sod it" and bought new. It's been a great car so far and it's now almost 5 years old...

More an argument for not buying Fiats than not buying new.

Guest Bart of Darkness
Which tv won?

Can't remember the exact makes used but if it's The Gadget Show that Rich is referring to, it was a subjective test of a Plasma, and LCD and a normal CRT telly.

The CRT was judged to give the best picture quality, followed by the LCD, then the Plasma.

ive got a 1997 mitsubishi l300 van, these vans never rust.Look at transits the same age the back doors are rotting off.Ive had the van 4 years and must admit the first 3 years i never even changed the oil!!!!, i think 1 new tyre and a wiper blade is all i replaced for the MOT.

Paid 2000 for this van and had now 4 years coming up trouble free.

my dad had a toyota hiace a few years ago and he does serious high milage, that van just ran and ran and ran, and even at the end its not the mechanics that kilkled it but a load of little things that just added up to more than the cost of a replcement.He did 350k miles in it .

now ya cant say this about ford transits, which are dearer to buy, have a higher mpg and are slower.

though i will say ya gota source parts smartly they cost a bomb, me i get them from germany where these vans are as common as bmw's.

Renault Lagunas are a very good buy.

There is no need to spend more than £2000 on a car. For this money a lot can be had. I recently bought an absolutely mint Renault Laguna W-reg for this. 4 X airbags, CD player, sunroof, air con, rear headrests, basically everything and mint bodywork. All for £2000.

Renault Lagunas are a very good buy.

There is no need to spend more than £2000 on a car. For this money a lot can be had. I recently bought an absolutely mint Renault Laguna W-reg for this. 4 X airbags, CD player, sunroof, air con, rear headrests, basically everything and mint bodywork. All for £2000.

sounds good, what about £2250 ?

So you are saying that people NEVER have problems with new cars?

A second hand car can be bought very reasonably, still with 2 years manufacturer warranty and a large chunk of the depreciation off it. What significant advantage does buying brand new offer over this that would justify the extra expense? It is often more a case that people like the 'kudos' of pulling up in a brand new car.

apom

great point. Thrift will return to the nation's consciousness after xmas.

I am with you on all counts including a sad addiction to Oliver Sweeneys - 8 pairs and counting - it is impossible to leave the shop with only one pair. A tip for you if they start to get worn/tired, I sent 3 pairs over to Italy (the shop does it) recently for the complete refurb (they were 2 years old) - £50 each I think and back truly like new. Best money I ever spent on clothing/footwear. Gap for t shirts, jeans, tops etc but always buy good footwear my old dad told me - it will look after you.

Used cars: Mate of mine bought a BMW 320i (1997) for £2000 a while ago. Ran it for 18 months no problems and sold it for...£1950 recently. Why buy new or even nearly new...

Used cars: Mate of mine bought a BMW 320i (1997) for £2000 a while ago. Ran it for 18 months no problems and sold it for...£1950 recently. Why buy new or even nearly new...

we need a registry that keep all the sale price for cars too.

netcarprices.co.uk ?

So you are saying that people NEVER have problems with new cars?

A second hand car can be bought very reasonably, still with 2 years manufacturer warranty and a large chunk of the depreciation off it. What significant advantage does buying brand new offer over this that would justify the extra expense? It is often more a case that people like the 'kudos' of pulling up in a brand new car.

another fine analysis of Quality from Phaedrus there.

I bought my current motor last spring and it was a year old. Admittedly the collapse of MG Rover meant that it instantaneously lost another £2000 overnight, but I've no plans to change it anyway.

Interestingly, part of the reason given for the failure of MG Rover was their inability to market new models. Now, my year-old car may have an underlying 10 year old design, but that only seems to mean that a lot of the flaws have been ironed out.

The illusion that we must have a high turnover of things and the obsession with "newness" is very dangerous indeed in my view. To expand the argument, it lies behind a lot of the over-aggressive leverage in today's society. Not just in financial terms, but in art and cultural pursuits too.

I worked in Japan for a while in the 90's, and there was a great sport of "gomi hunting" (skip surfing I guess would be best translation)

gomi = rubbish.

Given the small flats & no attics, when a Japanese household bought something new, something had to be thrown out - but still in great nick.

Many of my friends were students, who completely kitted themselves out with quality second hand gadgets for free... I picked up TV for my rented flat, oven toaster etc/ Seemed rude to let it go to waste

More an argument for not buying Fiats than not buying new.

Heh. Yep, I'd agree with that :D

I worked in Japan for a while in the 90's, and there was a great sport of "gomi hunting" (skip surfing I guess would be best translation)

gomi = rubbish.

Given the small flats & no attics, when a Japanese household bought something new, something had to be thrown out - but still in great nick.

I seem to be doing something similar on a family-and-friends basis myself. I tend to prefer old junk to be routed my way because I seem to be the only person who will dispose of it properly if it really is broken. Got my eye on the parents' TV at the moment. They want to get a flat one because the current one's speakers are buggered. I figure I can just plug some other speakers in. The rest of it works fine.

My only problem is that I now have 6 PCs of varying ages lying around and I'm running out of ideas for what to use the old ones for.

Freecycle is the way to go - to get rid off and get stuff (providing you don't take the piss with requests for G5s, plasma TVs etc).

I'm amazed at what gets thrown out - recently found a Pentium III, 128MB RAM, 20G HD, CD/DVD drive dumped by the side of the road. Thing was riddled with spywave until I wiped it. My unemployed mate now has a free computer for doing his music stuff on.

and its fantastic..

It cost me £800 three years ago.. hasn't missed a beat since I bought it and It knocks out 150bhp and pulls over 40 mpg on a run.. great car.. lovely to drive.. But its an Alfa so it depreciatte like a stone.. So buy one second hand..

New cars have been so much better for way over a decade... They don't rust.. The suspension doesent collapse at 80,000 miles anymore and the engines are good for 200,000 miles..

Somehow they have become more disposible now then ever.. Weird..

I have two bikes... a naked Triumph 900 stood me £2000 and a suzie SV 650 stood me £800 plus £200 to restore on top of my time.. ( I enjoy it so I don't charge myself the time.. sad man)

So two bikes and a car and home cinema were £3500

about £3700 with my home cinema..

Why am I sharing this..

I feel bad spending £400 on oliver sweeney shoes at the weekend..

also.. care with money dioes not mean no fun

I've got a pair of Oliver Sweeney boots bought in the sale for £200 - best bit of footwear I've ever owned!!

DO NOT FEEL GUILTY!!!!! <_<

I've got a pair of Oliver Sweeney boots bought in the sale for £200 - best bit of footwear I've ever owned!!

DO NOT FEEL GUILTY!!!!! <_<

too right.. I was sold as soon as I tried them on...

It is nice to be able to look at something and see the quality so evident..

Expensive...? yes.. But normal designer shoes are falling apart inside a year.. and try and get them for less then £80..

I am still trying to convince myself they are a bargain..

But any guilt fades as you put them on.

Quality comes first with this guy.. that they also look great.. a secondary concern..

I have had people comment on my shoes... which is odd..

The Alfa Romeo..

No rust.. not any.. and its never been undercover in a decade..

Top gear say that everyone should own an alfa atleast once..

If you want to see a bargain.. check out the 166..

£30,000 new.. £3,500 now three years old..

Buying one new is akin to buying a btl in the financial suicide stakes..

Second hand..

Quality..

Expensive...? yes.. But normal designer shoes are falling apart inside a year.. and try and get them for less then £80..

Quality comes first with this guy.. that they also look great.. a secondary concern..

The Alfa Romeo..

Second hand..

Quality..

£3.5k - seriously? Unreal. I am v. tempted for a bit of fun - good looking big car for family too. Off too Autotrader (again).

The Alfa Romeo..

Second hand..

Quality..

Hey, it's not about how much it costs, it's about whether it represents *value for money*

If something represents good value for money, its worth leveraging yourself for. Obviously property does not, but at half the price it might do. I'd still be shelling out a small fortune at that price (and more money than I actually have) but I think it would be fair to say that it would represent good value for money.

If the shoes last a few years and make your feet look very attractive then what's a couple of hundred sheets? You'll get plenty of value from a quality pair of shoes.

So where are the best places to read up on / look for prices on nearly newish cars to buy. I'm looking to get a car in the next few months. Willing to spend a bit more than I'd like if it keeps its value and I can get rid of it for not too much less in a couple of years. Can I get a nearly new Mazda RX8 yet for about £8k? :)

another fine analysis of Quality from Phaedrus there.

I bought my current motor last spring and it was a year old. Admittedly the collapse of MG Rover meant that it instantaneously lost another £2000 overnight, but I've no plans to change it anyway.

Interestingly, part of the reason given for the failure of MG Rover was their inability to market new models. Now, my year-old car may have an underlying 10 year old design, but that only seems to mean that a lot of the flaws have been ironed out.

The illusion that we must have a high turnover of things and the obsession with "newness" is very dangerous indeed in my view.

A 10 year old design based on a 1990 Honda design that was designed in the 80's, so the fundamental blueprint is actually pushing on two decades.

In the case of Rover the danger lies very much with the age of the designs, for example why did they stop making the Rover 100/Metro, because there was a better replacement or it had reached the end of its design life? Nope, they only axed the model after Euroncap published safety data showing it to be the worst car they've ever tested, folding up like a tin can in the case of an accident.

rover_100.jpgpeugeot_1007_2005.jpg

A Rover 100 crashing at 40mph into a deformable barrier, compared to the same test on a Peugeot 1007 with a 5 star rating (right)

Like I said, other things trump money when it comes to such matters, would you be happy to see your wife and kids in such a car? I'm not advocating people take to the roads in Chelsea tractors however they could certainly do a lot better than than the above Metro. As for rover, a bit of 'newness' and a regard for the safety of their customers would have gone a long way, Mrs T should have let Honda take over the place in the 80's, but I'm sure they're now glad that they went their own way with a new factory.

Edited by BuyingBear

In the case of Rover the danger lies very much with the age of the designs, for example why did they stop making the Rover 100/Metro, because there was a better replacement or it had reached the end of its design life? Nope, they only axed the model after Euroncap published safety data showing it to be the worst car they've ever.

I was unfortunate enough to arrive at the scene of a head-on between a Rover 100 and a BMW 320(old shape).

The family in the BMW were fine and didn't need treatment.

However, the poor young woman driving the Rover was not so lucky. I could hardly see her, most of the dash and front of the car was crushing her legs and chest, she was virtually in the back seat!!

Amazingly she was still alive(just), and was cut out and air lifted to hospital.

My advice. Do not buy a Rover, they are sooo 5hit in every way. Plus the K-series petrol engine is probably one of the worst engines ever made.