House Price Crash Forum

No Children, No Pets, No Smokers

This f**ks me off more than almost anything else as regards renting. Saw one the other day, 3 bedrooms, large enclosed garden, room for 2 cars, what they called a "family" bathroom, 5 minutes toddle from the local nursery school. NO CHILDREN!

FFS!

Of course it rents out anyway (in this location in this climate they all rent out within days), presumably to childless couples (not that I have anything against childless couples!) who for some reason need 2 spare bedrooms.

If I'm prepared to repaint rooms that get accidentally drawn on, or replace/clean carpets that "accidents" occur on, then I can't see what the problem is. As a family with a young child wanting a place within walking distance of the nursery, you'd think that we'd be ideal as we'd want the place fairly long term, but these landlords seem to think that all children live like a cross between Stig of the Dump and the kids from The Lord of the Flies

FFS, do yourself a favor and move out of the UK.

I moved to Ireland a couple of months back and pay 700/m for a 4 bed bungalow 20 mins drive from the city on which I have a 12 months lease.

The landlord is a nice (but broke) chap and was surprised that we did not have a dog or and kids. I did explain that we have lived for years and the the repressive regime that is the UK and he was quite interested to hear about the unfurnished accommodation and the bias against working people who want to have a family.

THE UK DOES NOT WANT OR NEED YOU,. Take the hint, get out whilst you cant and let a shared household of polish replace you.

You can't fight back so just escape from the rotten regime that is the UK. Antoher alternative is give up and let the state look after you.

If I'm prepared to repaint rooms that get accidentally drawn on, or replace/clean carpets that "accidents" occur on, then I can't see what the problem is. As a family with a young child wanting a place within walking distance of the nursery, you'd think that we'd be ideal as we'd want the place fairly long term, but these landlords seem to think that all children live like a cross between Stig of the Dump and the kids from The Lord of the Flies

Technically it accelerates the rate an "asset" in the form of fixtures and fittings are depreciated. However its not as if the landlord isn't more than adequately compensated.

not let so put the price up - good move and Blakedown is nowhere special except for a stop on the Bham line and near Kidderminster - aaargh.

between houses a year or so ago I wanted a short term rental while in possession of a dog - unfurnished.

it was a nightmare that left me feeling like one of the great unwashed. Said dog is very well behaved but know they can have antisocial habits - but he was not left shut in all day, he rarely barks and the only furniture to be damaged would be my own.

I did find a rental but only because landlady had dogs herself so understood.

the problem is that rental properties are often furnished with pale walls and carpet - recipe for soiling from dogs and children (and some adults).

I had to professionally clean the carpets at the end of the tenancy and they came up good as new.

If I was dastardly enough to be a BTL landlord I would not object to families or dogs (draw the line at smokers though) given that it is their 'home' and they would have to make good any damage.

Of course it rents out anyway (in this location in this climate they all rent out within days), presumably to childless couples (not that I have anything against childless couples!) who for some reason need 2 spare bedrooms.

Bedroom 3 as a study/computer room/office (yes i do need a separate room for this) 2nd bedroom guest room.

alot of my friends have/need a office now, due to having our own business/second business and wanting a room to "detach" from the rest of the house.

Also, the size of the living room/kitchen/bathroom is very likely to be smaller in a 1 bed house (assuming you can find a 1 bed house rather than a flat) . Why should someone without kids have to live in a box?

That's been my bugbear for many years. Only solution in the UK seems to be a flat in a converted Victorian (or older) house with big rooms.

In Italy I did that in style. One-bed flat in a 400-year-old ex-coach house. The living room and bedroom could each have fitted a modern English 3/4-bed "family" house.

FFS, do yourself a favor and move out of the UK.

I moved to Ireland a couple of months back and pay 700/m for a 4 bed bungalow 20 mins drive from the city on which I have a 12 months lease.

The landlord is a nice (but broke) chap and was surprised that we did not have a dog or and kids. I did explain that we have lived for years and the the repressive regime that is the UK and he was quite interested to hear about the unfurnished accommodation and the bias against working people who want to have a family.

THE UK DOES NOT WANT OR NEED YOU,. Take the hint, get out whilst you cant and let a shared household of polish replace you.

You can't fight back so just escape from the rotten regime that is the UK. Antoher alternative is give up and let the state look after you.

Alternatively, grow a pair and try to change things for the better.

I hope its been empty since being marketed 80 days ago.

I'll keep an eye on it, but it's been on for ages. Think it's come backa couple of times as 'new' property.

'No children' is on a par with Section 21 evictions when it comes to homeowner apartheid in the UK.

• 2 months later...

No kids LL still not let his palace....

He's now reversed his price increase! [LL logic in July, cant-rent-property-put-price-up]

02 October 2012

Price changed: from '£775 pcm' to '£750 pcm'

29 July 2012

Detailed Description changed: 3 The Stables, Belbroughton Road, Blakedown is an unfurnished and quality fitted barn conversion situated in most popular prestigious Village location benefiting double glazing and gas fired central heating to accommodation briefly consisting of entrance hall, large lounge/diner, large fitted kitchen, three bedrooms, downstairs cloakroom, contemporary bathroom with shower, allocated parking for two vehicles, double glazing and gas fired central heating heating.NO CHILDREN . NO PETS . NO SMOKERS

24 July 2012

Price changed: from '£750 pcm' to '£775 pcm'

22 May 2012

Initial entry found.

Two things.

1) I like how property bee shows up the "First Listed on Rightmove: 02 October 2012 ( 3 days ago ) " as the lie that it is

2) I don't smoke, have kids or pets. But would run a mile from any potential landlord who banned them "IN LOUD CAPITAL LETTERS IN THEIR ADVERT". Makes them seem like the kind of people who'd come round late at night and murder you in your sleep

It's crazy. Especially as the number of households that don't have either a child, a pet, or a smoker will be very small indeed.

Before moving abroad, we ended up having to rent a four bedroomed detached house for just the two of us and the moggy, as at the time there were no other properties available in the area for pet owners.

If I was a landlord with a house like this I would be marketing it to appeal to as many potential tenants as possible.

I can only assume that the house is owned outright and landlord not too bothered. It has cost him/her around £3,000 in potential rental income. Hardly a great business model is it? :rolleyes:

And as for 'trying it on' with a £25 hike in the rent in July - cheeky fooker! :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

It's crazy. Especially as the number of households that don't have either a child, a pet, or a smoker will be very small indeed.

Before moving abroad, we ended up having to rent a four bedroomed detached house for just the two of us and the moggy, as at the time there were no other properties available in the area for pet owners.

Keep cats quiet. You need notice for any inspection and the trace of cats can be whizzed away in a jiffy.

Perhaps someone should tell him that a blanket ban on pets is specifically mentioned in the Office of Fair Trading's examples of potentially unfair contract terms. One of the (few) things we have to thank the EU for. Can't immediately find the original OFT doc, but :

• Unreasonable ancillary obligations and restrictions

Terms that put tenants at risk of incurring contractual penalties that are more severe than is necessary to protect the landlord’s real interest in safeguarding his property generally will be considered unfair. Terms restricting a tenant’s use of a property should be reasonable in relation to the type and location of the property. Other examples of unreasonable prohibitions include terms against keeping pets. Such a term has been considered unfair under comparable legislation in another EU state because it could prevent a tenant from keeping a goldfish. A term prohibiting the keeping of pets that could harm the property or be a nuisance to other residents would be unlikely to meet the same objection.

http://www.letlink.co.uk/letting-factsheets/factsheets/factsheet-10b-office-of-fair-trading-guidance-on-unfair-terms-in-tenancy-agreements.html

Not sure what the situation would be if a childless couple were to move in and then had kids. Would they be asked to move out? I guess there would be little chance of the contract being renewed.

We're in this position. We're on a rolling AST. We've been here a long time, and have always paid the rent.

The place is inspected every 6 months. The summer inspection, I knew I was pregnant, but it was less than 12 weeks along, so I decided not to tell them at that point. About a month later, the shower broke, it was the height of summer, and we played the pregnancy card with the person on the phone from the Letting Agent that was dealing with it - so technically, at that point, I told someone, but not in an "official" way. I was probably at the hospital giving birth for the winter inspection. If he actually turned up to do the inspection (he's a bit lazy, and doesn't always turn up) he'd have let himself in, and will have found a cot and other baby-related paraphenalia in one of the bedrooms, and also scattered around the house. The next summer inspection he didn't turn up for, then the winter inspection (by which time our little one was over a year old) she was asleep in her cot... I talked quietly, and said that the baby was alseep, he asked how old she was, and wrote something on his officious looking clipboard...

We haven't heard anything, and they haven't turfed us out. If they'd been doing their job properly, they'd have spotted the (then) imminent arrival ages ago.