House Price Crash Forum

Each Olympic "gold" Medal Weighs 412 Grams And Is 92.5% Silver, Copper And Just 1.34% Gold. Value: £500

@zerohedge:

Each Olympic "gold" medal weighs 412 grams and is 92.5% silver, copper and just 1.34% gold. Value: £500

The Olympic bronze medal is 97% copper, 2.5% zinc and 0.5% tin. Value: £2

Edited by Asheron

@zerohedge:

Each Olympic "gold" medal weighs 412 grams and is 92.5% silver, copper and just 1.34% gold. Value: £500

Interesting...have always wondered about that.

I`m curious how many have ever been put up for sale on E Bay :)

Ah the fakeness of the modern olympics. Macdonalds sponsored, professional athletes everywhere and to top it off the gold medals aren't even real.

Maybe if they hadn't increased the medal size so much then gold price wouldn't be such an issue.

@zerohedge:

Asheron, may I ask what are the silver medals made of, melted down Coke cans finished off with a sprayed coating of Humbrol, Supermarine Spitfire silver?

Asheron, may I ask what are the silver medals made of, melted down Coke cans finished off with a sprayed coating of Humbrol, Supermarine Spitfire silver?

The last Olympic gold medal that was actually made from gold was awarded in 1912

The Silver London 2012 Olympic medals are 92.5% silver 7.5% copper

Edited by Asheron

So the silver medal is the one to have ... from a purist's investment point of view. It's proper .925 Sterling silver. The bronze medal is just bronze, I can get as many bronze coins from sorting through the change in my pocket as I want (although the number of bronze coins is falling, most of them are copper-washed steel now. Thanks Brown you utter *******).

If you want a gold medal, then I suppose you could try here;

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/Swimmer-s-Olympic-gold-medal-sale/story-16553483-detail/story.html

They estimate £6k.

Yes if I won Gold in the Olympics I would be a bit jealous knowing the Silver is actually worth more money in terms of melt value :)

And No :) the Bronze medal is Copper :) lol

97% copper

Edited by Asheron

It's actually.....

Faux Gold

Sterling Silver

and Copper

There is no Bronze Medal, it's all Lies :)

Bronze is a metal alloy consisting primarily of copper, usually with tin as the main additive

Silly me :)