House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
walktothewater

The Irish Boom Continues?

Meanwhile in LaLaland... "House slowdown postponed"

AIB, the second largest irish bank is calling for a rebound in prices and units built with the 'slowdown' to 2%p.a. starting in 2008. They're saying another 77,000 units built this year, thats on a population base of 4.1m

Link: http://www.rte.ie/business/2005/1027/houses.html

some choice cuts,

"inflation is on the rise because of higher energy and mortgage costs, but this will be offset by downward pressures arising from international competition and technological change."

"current high levels of housing output can be justified only on the basis of 'sustained sizeable net inward migration'"

"On concerns about debt levels, AIB says affordability is 'comfortable' and will remain so even if interest rates rise "

I fear us 'Going Japanese' in Ireland before this mess is sorted out....

I fear us 'Going Japanese' in Ireland before this mess is sorted out....

I know what you mean, but expect more guff like this from Banks and other VI's in the near future, as interest rate rises loom ever closer. I expect the media to hit us with an absolute torrent of bullish reports over the next few months. Be prepared. :)

The Irish Independent reports that the Irish will become the biggest borrowers in Europe by the end of next year, with total debts amounting to two years' national income (GNP), a new study suggests.
This means Ireland's future economic cycles will be more volatile," Mr O'Leary said. "The implications of an international shock are greater than ever, given the leverage of Irish households."

Inward investment has fallen by 75% in the past three years, costs continue to rise, rents continue to fall. Investors are happy to buy properties which they have to subsidise, Irish investors are stuck in every property sap trap between here and the Urals.

I expect falls of 40-50% over the next few years.

Finfacts

AIB, the second largest irish bank is calling for...

The share price of the big banks have taken a pounding in the past few months.

Average share price across the banks is down something like 10% (twice as bad as the euro average)

Why? : some reports are saying international investors are starting to dump Irish bank stocks.

No wonder they are trying to talk things up !

I know what you mean, but expect more guff like this from Banks and other VI's in the near future, as interest rate rises loom ever closer. I expect the media to hit us with an absolute torrent of bullish reports over the next few months. Be prepared. :)

I think you are right about this Flash.

Just look at some the headlines on the Independants website:

http://www.unison.ie/business/irish/

"Investors now see property as a safe investment"

"More in house hunt after 100pc"

and in Breaking News:

"Price of Housing Set to Increase"

Hiliarious isn't it !!

Direct foreign investment to Ireland falls sharply

Foreign Direct Investment into Ireland fell sharply from $26 billion (€21.6 billion) to $9.1 billion in 2004, according to a United Nations study that was published on Thursday.

Overall investment in the EU plummeted by 38 per cent. Ireland is suffering because many companies are shifting investments to low-cost economies in Asia and eastern Europe

I wonder what 2005 will look like?