House Price Crash Forum

Couple Who Made £350,000 At Car Boot Sales And On Ebay Are Jailed. . . Because They Didn't Pay Tax

HOLA441
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Because we have a principle in the UK that we pay tax on income. If I flog my old CDs at the car boot sale it is mine to keep. If I buy CDs with the express intent of selling them at a car boot sale and making a profit, then it is taxable income. You may as well apply your argument to any commercial venture that buys produce at one price and sells for another, be it BP or GSK.

Who is this 'we' you speak of?

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

So let me get this straight.

Two people who decided not to pay protection money to the mafia, are criminals and go to jail, and it is the mafia that sends them their.

Maybe only i can see the irony in this?

Like injin says, if you dont pay the criminals they come for you with guns and cages.

You don't have to pay tax if you don't want to. Just go and live in a different country. I'm sure your view will be different after a few years living in a mud hut and eating beetles.

HOLA447

You don't have to pay tax if you don't want to. Just go and live in a different country. I'm sure your view will be different after a few years living in a mud hut and eating beetles.

To be fair there are livable places with no income tax (Monaco, Dubai etc).

Frankly i wsh rather than moan people would just head off there.

And i mean properly, not flying back and forth as a tax dodge a la Mr Green...

Strangely they don't. Which kind of implies they are getting something from their taxes...

HOLA448

So what exactly do i get for my tax at the moment?

The olympics?

Foreign wars?

Militarisation of the police?

Decaying infrastructure?

Back handers to mates of Mps?

Social decay?

Freebies to banks?

That is not tax, it is extortion. IMO everyone has a moral duty to avoid paying tax to corrupt regimes.

HOLA449

To be fair there are livable places with no income tax (Monaco, Dubai etc).

Frankly i wsh rather than moan people would just head off there.

And i mean properly, not flying back and forth as a tax dodge a la Mr Green...

Strangely they don't. Which kind of implies they are getting something from their taxes...

I don't understand this kind of comment. Is it deliberate trolling?

People usually live in a place because it's where they were born, it's the place where the community they belong to also lives.

Most people I would guess do not simply up and move to a different place based on how much money they can make / keep.

It seems to me that the above comment is a bit like saying "don't like high house prices? Well seeing how that's the way things are here you should feck off to somewhere cheap rather than moaning. Don't like the coalition government? Well bog off rather than whining about how some other party would do better."

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I don't understand this kind of comment. Is it deliberate trolling?

People usually live in a place because it's where they were born, it's the place where the community they belong to also lives.

Most people I would guess do not simply up and move to a different place based on how much money they can make / keep.

It seems to me that the above comment is a bit like saying "don't like high house prices? Well seeing how that's the way things are here you should feck off to somewhere cheap rather than moaning. Don't like the coalition government? Well bog off rather than whining about how some other party would do better."

No it's not. People's have differences on opinion on government or any kind of policy but arguing that "taxation is theft" is arguing about the whole basis of the society we live in. I'd say a better analogy is arguing for Sharia law or the like.

Millions move across continents for a better life for them and their familes every year. If i felt i was being robbed of thousands of pounds every month by people with guns i would definately not hang around. Would anyone stay in a place where people robbed them at gunpoint on a monthly basis if they could get away?

I'd say the trollers are the people who say "taxation is theft". Their actions show they don't really believe that.

HOLA4412

No it's not. People's have differences on opinion on government or any kind of policy but arguing that "taxation is theft" is arguing about the whole basis of the society we live in. I'd say a better analogy is arguing for Sharia law or the like.

Millions move across continents for a better life for them and their familes every year. If i felt i was being robbed of thousands of pounds every month by people with guns i would definately not hang around. Would anyone stay in a place where people robbed them at gunpoint on a monthly basis if they could get away?

I'd say the trollers are the people who say "taxation is theft". Their actions show they don't really believe that.

Taxation is currently globally unavoidable theft.

better?

HOLA4413

"If you don't want thugs stealing your stuff all of the while, we suggest you move to a different street", says a representative from the failed policing and judicial system.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Who is this 'we' you speak of?

'We' are the gangsters that forces taxation from you at the point of a gun. As you have not consented to the state, the state is illegitimate and therefore all taxation is theft etc etc.

I know the arguments, I have had the pleasure of reading Nozick et al, calling myself a libertarian and spent much of my degree wrapped up in this shit, but there is a point at which you have to move on and look at the world from the point of view of how it actually operates. Yeah, tax is shit, as is the state, but I guess it is a necessary evil and I really do not have the time to get diverted into an undergraduate debate every time tax is brought up. Although I just have...

HOLA4417

... Yeah, tax is shit, as is the state, ...

I think there are plenty of people who do not share that opinion and yet STILL find the judgement crazy and the punishment meted out disproportionate. Let's just remind ourselves that they have essentially been found guilty of obtaining all of the money by crime because they can't prove otherwise to the satisfaction of the court. This has led to a "proceeds of crime" penalty. Surely we can all see the difference between his provable non-payment of tax (liability ~£5000) and his unproven criminal activity through which the untaxed funds were presumed to have been obtained.

Edited by Sledgehead

HOLA4418

'We' are the gangsters that forces taxation from you at the point of a gun. As you have not consented to the state, the state is illegitimate and therefore all taxation is theft etc etc.

I know the arguments, I have had the pleasure of reading Nozick et al, calling myself a libertarian and spent much of my degree wrapped up in this shit, but there is a point at which you have to move on and look at the world from the point of view of how it actually operates. Yeah, tax is shit, as is the state, but I guess it is a necessary evil and I really do not have the time to get diverted into an undergraduate debate every time tax is brought up. Although I just have...

I'm glad you agree, but you were the one who leapt to the defence of taxation and the state.

HOLA4419

Odd comment, as this is precisely what I have done. Of my many 'huts', my main one has five bedrooms, marble floors and a swimming pool...

Strange how people offer opinions without knowledge...

HOLA4420

Belated disclaimer on the above.

In my lakeside site I am developing now, I have just found an ant in my coffee dispensed from the bloody grinder. Gave me a sunrise shock here, I can tell you!

Think I will turn some of the proposed villas into mud huts after all...

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Do the same to all the gypo's please, HMRC.

Subtle point here. For a person to be convicted there has to be an element of voluntary engagement with the authorities. A criminal gypsy will have no address at which papers can be served, every interview will be conducted in an accent so thick it's impossible to understand what he is saying, he and all his relatives will turn out to have the same name and effectively be indistinguishable from each other, needless to say the accused will be unable to read or write so all communication must be oral only. Of course he will have an eagle-eyed lawyer making sure none of these deficiencies can actually be used against him.

HOLA4423

So this couple decided instead of sitting on the dole or working for someone they would get up in all weathers to recycle tat on the car boot sale thus generating money to put back into the economy and allow others to buy goods at a reduced price so that they could put more of their earnings back into the economy. And just because they weren't paying direct taxes they should be treated as criminals?

So what is the incentive for them to go an earn an actual living after they get out of jail? And we pay £40k a yr each for them to be locked up.

HOLA4424

you see the education system failed me in this country, this is why I can not get a job, right?

Wrt to English Language, it faied me as well.[1]

But I can get it right (and I also can't get a job).

tim

[1] I was crap at it, but unlike people who were crap at say, maths, who got the sympathy of the teacher for their weakness, I just got to sit at the back of the class and hope that I got better by osmosis.

HOLA4425