House Price Crash Forum

Monster Boxes

HOLA441
HOLA442

Hi all,

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether leaving a Monster box, whether it be silver eagles, maples or philharmonics, unopened increases its overall value at all? Would you open it up or leave it closed as it came from the mint?

I don't think it would really matter as a potential buyer would probably open it anyway to check the contents. I would advise you to do the same.

If I buy any type of silver I check to ensure it is the real thing and if I was thinking of investing is such a large amount of silver I would check every coin.

Just to add, do not think of storing all that silver in a single place. Split it up into different stashes and I would recommend burying a large part of it.

HOLA443

If it came from the mint leave it closed.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Although I have both coins and bars, I was told that coins have a slightly better resale value. Also a little more difficult to forge. Also a little easier to sell in some markets, i.e. Maples and Eagles sell better in the USA as some buyers don't have enough faith or experience to buy anything they haven't seen before.

European buyers sometimes like having unusual coins. I have a couple of original Pieces of Eight, some Ducats and some Thalers, for their historic value and curiosity value.

I would avoid anything from China, unless it was very attractive (i.e. I wanted it and my covetousness outweighed the risk) and had been tested. Strangely, I think silver bars from China would be safer, as they can be tested carefully without damaging the bullion. As for large gold bars from China, not on your Nelly.

HOLA448

I don't see the point of having monster boxes. There's no numismatic value in it, so you're better off with bars.

Yes, they have no numismatic value, just the bullion value.

Buying a monster box of 500 coins you will be getting them at a lower premium/"bulk discount".

The advantage of coins is that they will be easier to sell bit my bit or to trade with. 1kg cast bars, for example, have lower production costs and thus retail less than coins per gram or troy ounce, however Canadian maples can be purchased at prices not much more than cast bars.

I do have both bars and coins.

Edited by Take Me Back To London!

HOLA449

Although I have both coins and bars, I was told that coins have a slightly better resale value. Also a little more difficult to forge. Also a little easier to sell in some markets, i.e. Maples and Eagles sell better in the USA as some buyers don't have enough faith or experience to buy anything they haven't seen before.

European buyers sometimes like having unusual coins. I have a couple of original Pieces of Eight, some Ducats and some Thalers, for their historic value and curiosity value.

I would avoid anything from China, unless it was very attractive (i.e. I wanted it and my covetousness outweighed the risk) and had been tested. Strangely, I think silver bars from China would be safer, as they can be tested carefully without damaging the bullion. As for large gold bars from China, not on your Nelly.

With regards to bars, I would stick with the well known German, Swiss and US bars.

Edited by Take Me Back To London!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I don't think it would really matter as a potential buyer would probably open it anyway to check the contents. I would advise you to do the same.

If I buy any type of silver I check to ensure it is the real thing and if I was thinking of investing is such a large amount of silver I would check every coin.

Just to add, do not think of storing all that silver in a single place. Split it up into different stashes and I would recommend burying a large part of it.

w

When you receive your monster box, you must insist on it being with the original seal as some dealers rifle through them to look for high quality coins which have numismatic value. Some dealers charge a lower price for unsealed monster boxes because they have gone through them to take out the better quality coins.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

It makes no difference. None of these coins have any numismatic value anyway and no idiot should be buying a big box of anything without opening it...

Yes they do.How does a ' douchebag open something before they buy it from the usa or online ? how can you buy something without opening it Doh !

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Yes they do.How does a ' douchebag open something before they buy it from the usa or online ? how can you buy something without opening it Doh !

If I read and understand what you are saying correctly, when the monster boxes leave the mint they are sealed with security seal straps and if it is delivered without being opened by the dealer, which I don't know if they do or don't do, then when it arrives, you unpack it from the transportation packaging and don't break the seals and open the monster box, quite easy.

I have coins from the Royal Mint which I bought years ago, when their online prices used be very slow in being updated and you could buy coins £5-10 cheaper than even the best dealer price. I have them in their presentation boxes which I have, apart from one or two, left untouched in their sealed outer bags.

HOLA4416

If I read and understand what you are saying correctly, when the monster boxes leave the mint they are sealed with security seal straps and if it is delivered without being opened by the dealer, which I don't know if they do or don't do, then when it arrives, you unpack it from the transportation packaging and don't break the seals and open the monster box, quite easy.

I have coins from the Royal Mint which I bought years ago, when their online prices used be very slow in being updated and you could buy coins £5-10 cheaper than even the best dealer price. I have them in their presentation boxes which I have, apart from one or two, left untouched in their sealed outer bags.

Correct, dealers will break the seal looking for mint american eagles then replace them with others.i read today about a 2011 eagle selling for 4500 dollars

so it is important that they still have the mint seal there some dealers offering two prices one for mint sealed and one for unsealed.