House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

This Is Why Millions Are Leaving Britain, Mr Blair

I want to leave Britain because I am fed up being ripped off. Ripped off by the price of food; ripped off by car manufacturers, who charge high prices because they are allowed to get away with it; ripped off on housing. But mostly ripped off by this Government who take 50 per cent of my income through direct, indirect and stealth taxes and then rip me off on my pension.
I left a £700 a month NHS position, for $90,000 in the US. I have no poll tax, no TV licence, no VAT. My children are being educated in a classroom with great teacher/pupil ratios. I can afford a nice home. I have access to quality healthcare of my choosing. If I could have this same standard of living in Surrey, I would pack up tomorrow and come home.
The cost of living in Britain is crazy now. House prices don't reflect salaries, and certainly don't reflect the worth of the house. But the rental sector is dreadful - overpriced and unregulated so you can end up with terrible flats and landlords. Even having a post graduate qualification and being on a reasonable salary, you end up not having any quality of life, either because you're stuck in a shared flat, or you're broke paying mortgage payments.

More at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1770

The UK would be a much better place if all of the Daily Hate's readers effed off to wherever their narrow minds will allow them to go.

The UK would be a much better place if all of the Daily Hate's readers effed off to wherever their narrow minds will allow them to go.

So which of those quotes are not fair comment?

Britain is the greatest country to live in in the world.

If you don't like living here stop whinging and bugger off. Please surrender your passport on the way out and we will give your place to someone who appreciates it.

PG

Masked Titup,

You may not have noticed but the General Election campaign finished months ago so why are you peddling this load of cr@p from the Daily Fascist as if it had any relationship to the truth? Save it up for the next election campaign in 4 years' time. It might help your cause, though I doubt it.

p

Guest Bart of Darkness

You are either (a) mad or (B) a grade 1 wind-up merchant.

If (B) I salute you. Never let it be said that I don't acknowledge talent when I see it.

You are either (a) mad or (B) a grade 1 wind-up merchant.

If (B) I salute you. Never let it be said that I don't acknowledge talent when I see it.

it's b ). The smell of fish is pervasive

edit: ooh, 300 posts an extra block and a change in my title to "Regular" poster. The benefits of a high-fibre HPC diet.

Edited by Fancypants

If you don't like living here stop whinging and bugger off. Please surrender your passport on the way out and we will give your place to someone who appreciates it.

PG

I agree in that the UK isn't really a bad place to live, although every now and then it seems like it's not the case.

The problem IMO, is that we have serious problems that need to be addressed. I think the current government is too weak to make some really tough decisions (pensions being a good example). Blair has only really grown some nuts when he stood his ground over Iraq (better not go there).

Reminds me of my former employer. We had a steady decline over two years of business, the directors constantly came up with all sorts of ideas to turn things around but they always seemed to fade away. I was made redundant in the end...

No it wouldn't. Like 'em or hate 'em most Daily Mail readers have jobs and pay tax. If they all went the spongers left behind would have to support themselves.

Speed cameras seem to be one of the main reasons people have left the UK. Well that's good in my opinion. Britain has one of the best road safety records in the world.

PG

Precisely what is happening. 350,000 a year buggering off and a hell of a lot more immigrants coming in. Do the maths. In 20 years this country won't be anything like it is now.

Never mind though. Good news if you're the sort of scumbag that buys up crappy inner-city properties and lets the poor old immigrants rent them 10 to a room.

We are ranked 29th by the economists quality of life index:

http://www.economist.com/media/pdf/QUALITY_OF_LIFE.pdf

I have not got a clue myself, the furthest i have been was to Amsterdam. Do not really remember that month of my life. It seemed a lot nicer than UK cities, but you can not really tell when you are on holiday.

Uk can not be that bad. There is a bit of nice countryside left, the ale is good and there are not a lot of starving people. Shame you can not but a house though

PG

You really don't have a clue, do you?

btp

Masked Titup,

You may not have noticed but the General Election campaign finished months ago so why are you peddling this load of cr@p from the Daily Fascist as if it had any relationship to the truth? Save it up for the next election campaign in 4 years' time. It might help your cause, though I doubt it.

p

You must be one of those NuLab activists I have read about who write into the press in support of our great government pretenting to be private citizens? I don't really like the Mail but what is untrue about the comments posted? Your party has wrecked this country...

The people who are leaving are the ones who have money.

The ones coming in are all skint.

I know we are told they are all doctors but that lot running around the train stations in France just dont quite look like doctors to me.

Precisely what is happening. 350,000 a year buggering off and a hell of a lot more immigrants coming in. Do the maths. In 20 years this country won't be anything like it is now.

Never mind though. Good news if you're the sort of scumbag that buys up crappy inner-city properties and lets the poor old immigrants rent them 10 to a room.

Don't worry, I think he is the tea boy in a small EA-the property portfolio is strictly fantasy...

Don't take any noice of that Economist survey. I spoke to an Irish women who said it was ridiculed when it came out. She lives in Cork and has a list of compliants about it as long as your arm. And Norway at number three?! Yes, the standard of living is high but it's a bit of a cultural desert.

Edited by Matt

well your country has got WORSE.

you can now start to feel the new tension in the city centres at weekends. very punchy. very angry and increasingly divided. theres in no longer a social colusion to the uk. too mixed up. too many self interests.

the country is going down the pan to become a millenium workhouse with little quality of life. work is all that is offered. family life is dying. having a child is too costly. too many easy benefits. too much tax. its over priced, over rated and over crowded.

theres talk of all this nice countryside. try walking on it. see how long before you get arrested. all there really is are a few public footpaths. most is private land. theres no greenbelt, just the view of it from your gridlocked motoryway toll road daily commute.

the government(s) dont care about quality if life - just economys. just working. just making a shareholder profit. services are either over subscribed causing a boom or underfunded causing the run down of services. nothing has been done purely for the benefit of the citizens for at least 20 long years. from both parties.

you pay oodles in tax for health, yet cant get a dentist. when you do get cancer or something serious. they wont prescribe the needed drugs as they cost too much ?

whats been going on here ?

are you all asleep at the wheel or hypnotised by housing greed and comercial trinkets ?

Edited by right_freds_dead

tell me something GOOD about daily life in the UK ?

you just have rose tints on and a too strong a dose of blind patriotism.

france life better. spain life better. itay life better. most of eu - lifes better.

this country was good in the 50s 60s 70s and part of the very early 80s.

since then its rotted and no ones stood up and done somethign about it.

Guest Bart of Darkness
The problem IMO, is that we have serious problems that need to be addressed. I think the current government is too weak to make some really tough decisions (pensions being a good example). Blair has only really grown some nuts when he stood his ground over Iraq (better not go there).

The trouble with statements like Britain is the best coutry in the world" etc. is that it encourages complacency. If we said instead "Britain is a good place to live but we can make it even better" and actually faced some of the problems we have, we would all benefit.

Trouble it, it would require actually doing something, which we don't seem to be very good at.

BTW Matt, I would hazard a guess that you're no older than your 20s. This might explain your acceptance of modern Britain.