House Price Crash Forum

Hmmm.... interesting. The auction site is now stating a sold price of £256,000 (which would be silly money for that house!!). I smell a rat.

Just to add to my earlier post, I emailed the auction company for clarification. They confirmed that it has sold for £256,000. So some lunatic has stumped up that at an auction along with the extra stamp duty and auction fees. Bonkers, simply bonkers.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just to add to my earlier post, I emailed the auction company for clarification. They confirmed that it has sold for £256,000. So some lunatic has stumped up that at an auction along with the extra stamp duty and auction fees. Bonkers, simply bonkers.

Heard of similar elsewhere. "don't care about 3% stamp duty threshold".

Need to remind myself how it works for companies and/or offshore purchases.

At least £2,650 of auction fees too (including buyer's admin fee to auctioneer). Then having to abide with all the other parts of complicated auction conditions + completing on their terms. Then unknown unknowns as for why it was being sold on behalf of Police & Crime Commissioner..

It doesn't surprise me that much though. Looks to be SoldSTC. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-30034780.html

And I was hesitating whether I'd bid to £140K (it came on at that guide-price for a few days, until upped to guide price £175K) with it needing work and money spent, having quite a few limitations, including with school options, compared to other locations. You could likely get better value for a house on the open market, in Cheadle Hulme or other parts of South Manchester

A lunatic lol. I don't disagree. Too few opportunities for proper value discovery in these market conditions is my reasoning, and just have to accept the outcome. I'm not looking forward to telling a family member what it sold for. Already had told them it hadn't sold. The selling price really doesn't backup my view market conditions are very strained and on brink of changing towards better value. I still believe that though.

• 2 weeks later...
Someone wants to sell this house (Guide Price £550,000) but not exactly the slickest presentation for such a big asking price.

http://www.rightmove...y-34929631.html

I didn't even know there were houses down that narrow lane.

Looks like they've done a little bit more work on it, or tidied up the site, and cut the price. Still looking for a cash-buyer-only.

http://www.rightmove...y-37961650.html

Just around the corner there was a pub called The Smithy. I think it was called The Smithy for a long time back. My memory of the pub was that it mostly served a more working-class clientèle from the surrounding area. As an 18-20 year old I played played pool and darts there a few times during afternoons, but always felt had to blend in as switched-on, to avoid possible rowdiness from other tougher looking 18-30 year olds. Although I never did see any real trouble, just some banter and posturing. Went a couple of times in the evening when music was very loud and everyone seemed to have their fill by the end of the night. A couple my parents knew bought their council-house just around the corner a bit down and off Gillbent road, getting a really good right-to-buy discount in the late 90s. (Can't recall exactly but was told they got it for something like £12K, when I guess they'd vale it around £160K-£180K now if putting it on the market.)

Some company I was loosely associated with put some money behind the bar and we were told to get there early else it would go quick. It had all gone when we turned up an hour after the start, but to be fair the money was meant mostly for the labourers who'd just finished a big contract Same night a WPC full uniformed strip-a-gram brassy blonde entered surprised some birthday guy at his table with his friends, ending up with him having to remove canned-whipped-cream with his tongue and get on all fours to suffer a few light lashes of a whip on his rear end.

Then sometime around 2004/05 it was renamed something so tacky I refused to lodge the memory of its name. The pub signage was also cheap looking. Never went in during the few years of its name change. Then I think it reverted back to being named The Smithy once more for a year or so.

More recently I was somewhat surprised to learn someone was piling in a lot of money for a total refurb. A new gastro-pub called The Pointing Dog. (Why that name?) In fact I think they totally rebuilt the place. It looked completely different from outside; all timber rendered. I thought it a little over-ambitious but was persuaded by a friend's argument it was a convenient location for people from a wider area to gather at, with the bypass Manchester-Wilmslow-Airport links running so close. When it opened, that has been the truth of it. Very popular by all accounts I've heard of associates meeting up there for an evening, often coming in from different directions, way more upmarket from the time I knew it from reports I've heard back.

I passed the Pointing Dog just a few days ago, stuck in traffic waiting for the roundabout to clear ahead, wondering how often the timber needs to be treated to maintain it, and whether it would cope longer term with the English weather. The frontage of the building appeared damp in places from driving rain. That very same evening I found out from the newspaper (Stockport Times or Express) there had just been an arson attack just days before (4th March 2013), affecting the rear of the building. A little fire damage but mostly smoke damage I think. It's closed for repairs now, but their website says they're fast at work to reopen soon.

http://www.mancheste...r-blaze-1716671

Edited by Venger
  • 2 weeks later...

A good downsizer home. I think it should go at that price, unless too many older homeowners are holding out for stupid asking prices, refusing to lower, thus limiting competition for quality downsizer homes in good areas.

http://www.rightmove...y-38066768.html

A friend of a friend who lives nearby tells me a young couple bought it.

£140K. (Down from initial asking of £175K, and way under last listed asking price of £159,950K, meaning seller accepted their £140K offer.)

http://www.rightmove...country=england

I've got to wish them well. An unusual FTB purchase, on a stretch of housing associated with older people. Not the ideal sort of house but it could just see them right for a good few years. If and when there are more downsizers from the higher end, the couple may do alright even if we go on to have our crash from here.

It was the adjoining bungalow that sold for £180K in 2009.

Edited by Venger
  • 3 weeks later...
Good local shops (inc Waitrose), Bruntwood Park and the pitch and putt, or just when you have kids as it's very popular with families. I've always felt comfortable in Cheadle Hulme.

Just reading local papers. I already knew councils were looking at pulling back on spending for bowling greens (not just Stockport), but I would have thought Bruntwood's pitch and putt pays for itself. Oh well, it's only the most basic of courses and a few other options around, but it's part of that park... where Dad's take their kids to play for the first time, as mine did. They list 7 bowling greens that could be all scrapped, including the one in Heaton Moor.

Bowls players fear the sport may be on the brink of extinction in Stockport ahead of proposals to cut the number of greens by a third. ....... Cash-strapped town hall bosses say proposals - which include cutting 70,000 hours of maintenance - could save £1m if implemented.

The cuts could also see an end to Bruntwood Park's pitch-and-putt course. Proposals could also see remaining greens subject to a new timetable, abandoning the current system which sees them mowed daily and available for play by 11am.

• 2 months later...

In the conservation area, iirc. Almost in the centre of my saved draw-a-search field for Cheadle Hulme.

Charming looking house, but I'm seeing an old listing from 2011 when they tried it on the market for £15K less than it's come back to the market today (asking £565K now, having paid £465,000 in 2004. And according to Zoopla, it selling for £210,000 in 1997.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-27178851.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=18459969&sale=30251525&country=england

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property/46-swann-lane/cheadle-hulme/cheadle/sk8-7hr/21538750

Thought you might appreciate this one - prime Cheadle Hulme off Ack Lane and near your £315k three bed semi from the Wilmslow thread (For a cool £140k less). Of course its already under offer as on at a reasonable price:

Romsey Drive, Cheadle Hulme

Not a big fan of Dormer windows, but I'd take it at the price for that area of Cheadle Hulme....

No need for an apology. I'm in full agreement with you that most housing is ludicrously priced compared to actual incomes. That one to me just seemed slightly more reasonable than most in that area. The adjoining house (I think) seems to have gone on at Offers Over £190k today:

Link

2 minutes walk away, this house sold recently (£125,000), but I guess that it wasn't a normal sale, even though it was listed on the market. £125,000 take it down to 2003 general transaction prices I would have thought. A joinery business associated with the address.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=37970435&sale=49132061&country=england

Previously listed for sale on 19th Jun 2012 for £239,950: http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-history/6-roche-gardens/cheadle-hulme/cheadle/sk8-7qt/20067925

Thought you might appreciate this one - prime Cheadle Hulme off Ack Lane and near your £315k three bed semi from the Wilmslow thread (For a cool £140k less). Of course its already under offer as on at a reasonable price:

Romsey Drive, Cheadle Hulme

Not a big fan of Dormer windows, but I'd take it at the price for that area of Cheadle Hulme....

Seller was asking £179,950.

They accepted £165,500.

Seller was asking £179,950.

They accepted £165,500.

Hello again.

Actually £165k dead on.... every little helps.

I'm looking at 4 bed detached Cheadle +1 mile (just to track) as that's what we'll hopefully be looking to buy in two years when paid off this place. About the cheapest you seem to be able to get a decent 4 bed detached for (without venturing into Wythenshaw) is about a quarter of a million.

Pretty depressing that we'll pay off this place, and then just take out another (likely even bigger mortgage) for the privilege of an extra bedroom and not having to share a wall with anyone....

Mr Osbourne's 'Help to Buy' is certainly a curse for someone like me playing 'Equity Catch Up' with the housing market. Still recognise I probably have it better than most of my generation. Which is a sad indictment of modern Britain. Ho hum. At least its Summer.

Hello again.

Hi Credulous. Good to see you still keeping an eye on market activity. Oops lol, foolish me for giving it £500 more that recent exact market value; what am I doing lol. Thanks, yes £165K. It's a good area, and I agree with your earlier post about that. Also with RK as there is a primary school nearby, so if it's highly rated as I recall him suggesting it was, that's another positive. Going in the right direction. No doubt I think it's better overall value than that wreck of a house off Hulme Hall Ave that went to auction in Cheadle Hulme and sold for £256,000 + auction fees. Don't want/need much but don't particularly want dormer style either. If it were a slightly different build/style....

I'm looking at 4 bed detached Cheadle +1 mile (just to track) as that's what we'll hopefully be looking to buy in two years when paid off this place. About the cheapest you seem to be able to get a decent 4 bed detached for (without venturing into Wythenshaw) is about a quarter of a million.

Pretty depressing that we'll pay off this place, and then just take out another (likely even bigger mortgage) for the privilege of an extra bedroom and not having to share a wall with anyone....

Mr Osbourne's 'Help to Buy' is certainly a curse for someone like me playing 'Equity Catch Up' with the housing market. Still recognise I probably have it better than most of my generation. Which is a sad indictment of modern Britain. Ho hum. At least its Summer.

At least you can be quite relaxed about your present position. I genuinely agreed with the strategy you set out previously as having a lot of merits. I'm personally not that anxious about Help-To-Buy. There's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip. Hearing about another 'wealthy' person earlier tonight (big house, nice area), who turns out to be on the financial edge.

It had three bedrooms and also a (ropey) loft conversion meaning it was actually fairly sizeable for the house. This meant if all else failed and we never reached a position to but the 'next rung' we could just about raise a family there (although by no means in the same size of house as we were both brought up in). Still believing the second option you set out is more likely, or at least no runaway HPI.

..and use that as a 50% deposit on a 4 bed detached in Cheadle Hulme, Gatley, Bramhall, Cheadle or similar. Alternatively houseprices tank (most likely due to rising interest rates) we sell ours for 80k and buy a 4 bed detached for 150k (I'd much prefer this option).

Hello again.

http://nealhudson.com/post/53266865872

• 1 month later...

This house seems somewhat encouraging, on opportunities that we may see more of in the future. Assuming it's freehold and no other nasties.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-27670944.html

Might suit someone at say an offer of £130K-£145K accepted for a quick sale, for the few in a position to act quickly. However it's backing on to the railway line, although much of expensive lovely Swann Lane does the same on the opposite side. I've got some irrational association between railway tracks and J-knotweed, so not a house I'd ever be interested in. Also the house clearly needs some work. The lower brickcourse at the bottom of the extension looks well iffy from the pic.

• 1 month later...

750>700>650>? How keen to dispose of the empty house?

http://www.rightmove...y-40462859.html

Yeah, came to my attention a while ago. A fine Edwardian house, but such houses, in these sorts of locations, at the mid-to-upper price range, are where I think the market will be most tested. It's got a big garden, but not best location on the road, on the corner, siding on to busy Upton Ave, where lot of traffic used to gather with parents collecting from the 2 nearby schools. One thing I do know, I wouldn't like to maintain that hedge (Upton Avenue side). Struggle to see them getting £550K, in my own opinion.

Looks like the owner might have croaked.

5 bed house on Hill Top Ave: £750,000 :o

Maybe as it's a lovely road, but evermore of these homes coming to market are going to be hard to shift, at the heights they've risen to over the decades, and the boom decade especially. I rate many homes on Hill Top Ave above it... including all the semis.... don't like how it is on the corner of Upton, where you get a lot of school-kids and parents cars passing/parking.

I was walking down that road a few months ago. Paused to look at this house, as I hadn't seen it on Righmove at the time. It's now come to market. However it backs onto a school, and a side lane that used to take all that school's own coaches and buses. Used to sneak in and play on the tennis courts on many a summer, at the bottom of that garden, but I see from the satellite it's now a car-park in the school grounds, and they've moved the courts a bit further down into the school grounds, onto the old all-weather pitch.

Not sure if this house ever sold either, at the bottom of Hill Top (which if I recall correctly is all in the Conservation Zone). No sign on house-price records it ever did. Perhaps just waiting for the market to recover. http://www.rightmove...y-35718721.html

Edited by Venger

Yeah, came to my attention a while ago. A fine Edwardian house, but such houses, in these sorts of locations, at the mid-to-upper price range, are where I think the market will be most tested. It's got a big garden, but not best location on the road, on the corner, siding on to busy Upton Ave, where lot of traffic used to gather with parents collecting from the 2 nearby schools. One thing I do know, I wouldn't like to maintain that hedge (Upton Avenue side). Struggle to see them getting £550K, in my own opinion.

It's a 'solid' house and spacious, No garage. Needs complete refurb and presumably things such as central heating & electrics. Good school catchment. Anyone wanting it would be made not to try a low-ball offer when it's presumably a probate and has sat unsold for a while. I think it will go for between 560 and 590. If someone managed to get it closer for 500 than 550 I'd say they'd got it for a decent price.

It's a 'solid' house and spacious, No garage. Needs complete refurb and presumably things such as central heating & electrics. Good school catchment. Anyone wanting it would be made not to try a low-ball offer when it's presumably a probate and has sat unsold for a while. I think it will go for between 560 and 590. If someone managed to get it closer for 500 than 550 I'd say they'd got it for a decent price.

Maybe, at a transaction at something over 500 would be a decent buyer price, allowing for all of that. In this mostly stalemate market. I've got difficulty understanding the market at that higher end. Not quite sure why an upsizer wants such a large house, unless they are very rich, and don't have to worry about mortgage/pension/school fees/ living costs.

Oh, it's now showing SoldSTC.

I'm sure there will be many more such houses though, coming to market, if it does sell. A 500Kish transaction price may have some affect on values on the road and general area.

One of the nearby schools is an excellent school (junior and senior), but it's a private school. With house prices as they are, even the lower-end housing stock in surrounding areas of Stockport and Cheshire, such fees must be a challenge for many younger professional couples. Unless they get parental help with house or fees. Although there must still be a few high earners positioned to afford both mid-to-upper end house such as the one we discussed, and the school fees.

Not seen any sold price for this, unless it was just removed from the market, and I think I first saw it come to market at over £450K.

£439,950 http://www.rightmove...y-35070028.html

£415,000 http://www.rightmove...y-40678697.html

This gives me a glint of hope. Came to market asking £250K, selling for £225K. http://www.rightmove...country=england

Edited by Venger

I've been tracking the housing market in Cheadle Hulme for the past few years, with a mind for buying for myself, and because a relative had an interest in buying there too. Although she has recently ruled it out having recently checked how much private school fees are nowadays. Likely to be Hale or even Wilmslow for her.

Someone wants to sell this house (Guide Price £550,000) but not exactly the slickest presentation for such a big asking price.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-34929631.html

I didn't even know there were houses down that narrow lane. It's definitely not my idea of a nice part of Cheadle Hulme, at the end of the bypass.

It sounds like a lot of money to live near Liverpool! B)

Not sure if you're jokingly referring to the whole NW as close to Liverpool or you've mixed Cheadle Hulme up with somewhere else. If the former then we could sadly find you many examples of houses in Cheshire vastly more overpriced than that one....and don't take that to mean that house is cheap...

Doesn't it. So many parts of South Manchester and into Cheshire are special for some reason. Even some fairly average areas still seeking lunatic prices, and home-owners who don't have their homes on the market not fearing anything, thinking all their HPI is locked in.

• 6 months later...

Looks like the owner might have croaked.

5 bed house on Hill Top Ave: £750,000 :o

Maybe as it's a lovely road, but evermore of these homes coming to market are going to be hard to shift, at the heights they've risen to over the decades, and the boom decade especially. I rate many homes on Hill Top Ave above it... including all the semis.... don't like how it is on the corner of Upton, where you get a lot of school-kids and parents cars passing/parking.

750>700>650>? How keen to dispose of the empty house?

The owner had died, according to my source; kept to the very end with 1 guy living there.

Nothing up on sold prices for Cheadle Hulme for it (as I post): http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detail.html?country=england&locationIdentifier=REGION^6108&searchLocation=Cheadle+Hulme

......yet I'm very reliably informed it sold for £590K. It's a prestigious period sort of house for that area, and much better that it's shifted into the hands of a family to make use of it. I wish the new owners well with it. Looks like they're quite senior types, and at least one income there from the thrust of work/application/capitalism. I hear extension plans (for kitchen ect) have been submitted to planning office.

£590K.. vs this semi, still requiring finishing touches, just come to market on same road, at £499,950. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29701629.html

Nothing up on sold prices for Cheadle Hulme for it (as I post): http://www.rightmove...n=Cheadle+Hulme

......yet I'm very reliably informed it sold for £590K.

Recent sold price data just been updated.

Scrolling down a little, it did sell for £590K.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detail.html?country=england&locationIdentifier=REGION^6108&searchLocation=Cheadle+Hulme

• 4 months later...

£99,950
This property is for sale by the Modern Method of Auction which is not to be confused with traditional auction. The Modern Method of Auction is a flexible buyer friendly method of purchase. We do not require [...]
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-47923853.html

Sale Date: 07 Dec 2011. Price Paid: £120,000

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=47923853&sale=23704062&country=england

Can't see any archive for it on zoopla; eg old listings/old rental listings. 2011 purchase to this... wonder what sort of condition it's like inside?

Going from other sales in the postcode, if it goes for £99,950 ish... 2003/04 price? Not for me as I want more/better.... although now I think of it, seem to recall reading some concerning things about 'modern method auctions' with non-refundable reservation fees.

Directly around the corner from this, which sold for £175,000 in 2013.

This terrace cottage is very nearby. I can't help but like it, but the location is just wrong. Have to be closer to a train station and bus routes, and I've got to give some thought to schools.

http://www.rightmove...y-38872994.html

Sorry, I'm purely indulging myself with that house link. It's also very expensive for what it is, and where it is too, in my opinion, but still appealing. I know we're all after different things, and have a bearing on what others in the NW section are after.

A house like that, but 3 bedrooms would suit me just fine, at my very lower end target requirements for a house. Except not an end-of-terrace like this one, for structural concerns. And for wall collision or scrape worries, with the wall of the house exposed to a busy road, and also a side road leading to other terraces.

stanleyroad_cottage1a.jpg