House Price Crash Forum

Did You Hear The About The Guy On Income Support

doahh

An acquaintance was telling me today that they used to claim Income Support of about £90 per week until the recent benefits shakeup when they were then transferred to Job Seekers Allowance. After a few weeks of having to hunt for jobs they got tired of it, and so has decided to try and move over to Working Tax Credits instead. If successful, they will get the standard £50 per week, and because they used to be on Income Support they will get another £50 as well. That gives them £100 per week, and makes them £10 better off than when they were on Income Support. Does anyone have any supporting information about this story?

If true, then it would see that the government shakeup of the incapacity system is not all it seems. People will quickly figure out that they can be better off if they came from the Income Support/Incapacity system by claiming Working Tax Credits. The government get to claim that the benefits system is being reformed and the long term disabled are being 'helped' into work, while those who were moved off incapacity benefit/Income Support are also better off and so vote for the government.

People should claim what they can, but the government policy would seem a little misleading if this anecdotal is correct.

I should have added a poll to see who thinks I should go and write for the Daily Wail.

Edited by doahh

It looks like I can answer my own question here. The disabled worker element is £2,790 per year.

So people who were moved onto incapacity benefits to massage the employment figures are now being moved onto WTC instead. I was wondering how they were going to find jobs for all those incapacity claimants.

I don't think I understand. WTC is for people who are in "work" is it not?

You can also claim it for being self employed. So it is possible to draw up a business plan (or download one of the internet?), claim that you are setting up in business, then sit back and do nothing for a few years. I guess that will change with the Universal Credits that are being brought in between 2014-2017, but maybe UC has a provision for disability as well.

WTC means you can take a min wage job and get paid multiples more depending on individuals circumstances.

which is exactly what it is intended to do.

But the point is an unemployed person cannot just choose it, they have to get offered a job first

tim

You can also claim it for being self employed. So it is possible to draw up a business plan (or download one of the internet?), claim that you are setting up in business, then sit back and do nothing for a few years. I guess that will change with the Universal Credits that are being brought in between 2014-2017, but maybe UC has a provision for disability as well.

Roll on a week today when I become eligible for WTC!

which is exactly what it is intended to do.

But the point is an unemployed person cannot just choose it, they have to get offered a job first

tim

Or as mentioned above go the self employment route, just say you do 30 hours a week and submit you tax return declaring amounts that leave you behold the threshold anyway.

For a single person over 25 is only worth about £52 a week, but get your circumstances right and the hours required are less and the credits are a whole lot more.

• 2 weeks later...

just say you do 30 hours a week and submit you tax return declaring amounts that leave you behold the threshold anyway.

Until you get an eviction notice as your housing benefit stopped because you didn't hand in your accounts when asked. Housing benefit while self employed is a right pita.

I claim WTC for 16 hours a week as I'm not capable of doing 30 and imo it's a pretty good system. It's like legally working on the side. I can see those getting paid £20+ per hour while surfing HPC getting hot under the collar about it but life is hard, then you die.

Contrary to popular belief, most people get bored when having no work but the current benefit system (WTC aside) is like a glue trap. Once on it, you must not earn anything and it's soul destroying.

just say you do 30 hours a week and submit you tax return declaring amounts that leave you behold the threshold anyway.

Until you get an eviction notice as your housing benefit stopped because you didn't hand in your accounts when asked. Housing benefit while self employed is a right pita.

I claim WTC for 16 hours a week as I'm not capable of doing 30 and imo it's a pretty good system. It's like legally working on the side. I can see those getting paid £20+ per hour while surfing HPC getting hot under the collar about it but life is hard, then you die.

Contrary to popular belief, most people get bored when having no work but the current benefit system (WTC aside) is like a glue trap. Once on it, you must not earn anything and it's soul destroying.

It's fekcing outrageous that the system has grown so that almost anyone earning below the median gets money from the state.

• 3 weeks later...

Virtually everybody I know, working or not, are on some form of benefits and use it to top up their incomes so they have a nicer lifestyle than me working full time.

Long gone are the days of welfare being a safety net. It's now like pin money for luxuries for those eligible.

Virtually everybody I know, working or not, are on some form of benefits and use it to top up their incomes so they have a nicer lifestyle than me working full time.

Long gone are the days of welfare being a safety net. It's now like pin money for luxuries for those eligible.

Not to much pin money, rather money required to eat, be housed or cover the council tax. Pin money is the money your earn that makes you better off than dole.

• 3 weeks later...

We tried this but it does not work out, well if you live in the South East with a mortgage at least. Trouble is in the S/E to be just about comfortable you need a family gross income of at least £50k p/a.

I tried the small business, claiming working 30 hrs a week but only working 9am to 3.30pm during school term time to have no childcare costs, and only putting enough through the books to be a few hundred under the £6.5k - £7k tax free allowance on my self cert tax return.

However because of no childcare costs, the wife earning £37k gross and my £7k earnings the returns from the WTC and CTC top ups were crap. At least £500 pcm net short of taking a basic £20k p/a job.

So i went back to work for an old emplyer on the deal that I do the first year @ £20k then they slot me in a managers role for at least £30k.

I'm sure if you can get by on a £25k family income and don't want to own your home you can work this system but it's would be a pretty basic life, no nice holidays etc.

M