House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Saving For a Space Ship

C4 Grand Designs Revisited

ON NOW -just started

For 10 years, Ben lived in tents and caravans in a wood in West Sussex. As a woodsman, he needed and wanted to live among the trees, but now he wanted a house for some creature comforts. He invited volunteers to help him build one by hand, from the materials growing around him.

more details - http://www.channel4.com/4homes/ontv/grand-...ex_woodman.html

I saw this 1st time around & thought it was one of the best I'd seen of this type of prog. Shame about the 10yr planning battle

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

This one was definately the best one they have done. I thought it was fantastic. It will be interesting to see how it looks now.

This one was definately the best one they have done. I thought it was fantastic. It will be interesting to see how it looks now.

This type of thing is along the lines of my dream house as its built from the materials in the surrounding area.

I've mentioned them a few times on this forum, but the ultimate in this type of design is an Earthship, & it takes the concept quite a bit further, involving re-use. There is an 11 minute video online now explaining the earthship concept

http://www.earthship.co.uk/video/index.htm

I think people have not fully understood the concept before, but the video is very good at explaining the whole picture of an off-grid house that needs almost no utilities or new materials to build it if required.

IMO, these types of houses as ahead of their time as the resources begin to run out & re-use becomes a necessity. I had the pleasure of donating 7 tonnes of wood & other materials to the only Earthship in England in Stanmer Park, Brighton when my community re-use project closed down. They managed to use almost all of it.

Brighton Earthship http://www.lowcarbon.co.uk/eb.html

Scottish Earthship http://www.sci-scotland.org.uk

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

Wow. I'm genuinely impressed - it's weathered in a treat. What a stunning house and completely energy self sufficient. Knocks spots off any of the other houses they have shown.

Wow. I'm genuinely impressed - it's weathered in a treat. What a stunning house and completely energy self sufficient. Knocks spots off any of the other houses they have shown.

Its such a pleasure to see a decent property prog. & not be slagging it off. Sadly, that was an update on one that was built 3 years ago.

:rolleyes: Seemed a very decent & skilled chap as well.

The barrier in this country always seem to be the planning issues when you want to do something different or eco. Insurance co's hate anything different or what they don't understand as well, thats why so many live in badly built shoe box wendy houses. :angry:

They never have a chance to see the alternative & end up thinking there is none. I was on the bus going through Elsmere Port the other day, past an estate of brick wendy houses. I thought how sad it was that even these glorified tiny psuedo-sheds have become unaffordable :blink:

I think the idea of alternative energy sources for the home is slowly seeping into people's minds.

A colleague of mine is building a house in Ireland and is looking to use a thermal pump system to add to his energy supply. Solar panels are already on order - though I think they take a while to pay for themselves. There's also a decent stream on the land and he is already looking at turbine systems to try and get some free energy.

We are geeky engineers so we have an interest in such things. But I think as energy costs continue to rise, more and more people will come round to the same way of thinking.

(of course it does help if your father is an Irish farmer who gives you some land to build on - lucky sod).

Thanks for the 'heads up' - I caught the bit at the end I hadn't seen.

I'm hoping to do part of what he did with a wood-burner and back-boiler/roof-solar water heating, and a solar/wind PV set up. It was a pleasure to watch. It looked so beautiful and comfortable - in contrast, my family and friends have visions of me in a jumper, teeth-chattering, as my off-grid experience. This comforted me - and might break their pre-conceptions.

My pleasure, I was suprised no one else had noticed it was on. I didn't notice it saying it cost him any more than the £25-30,000 he was planning on.

Your experience is common, like I say in my rant above, most folks do not see the alternative vision. How can the eco-house crew compete with the big house builders marketing budgets ? - Steam rollered

You should have no problem with heating if you address the insulation & wind/solar power generation. Anyway, having spent a few years on a low income, less heating & colder temperatures have made me healthier with less flu/ colds etc.

Now resources are getting scarce the masses will be forced to wake up to more eco -housing & living, who would have thought Gas prices would have gone up so much in the last year, let alone oil.

it was a quality program. i liked it. despite the fact i myself would have been happy in the caravan and the woods. and a fancy ices shop close by. and a laundry. wouldnt have made interesting telly though. kinda boring really that.

Can anyone post a link to a grab of the program. I'd love to find out how to cut my £400 per month oil heating bill!

No I can't, it may be repeated on S4C soon (poss. on freeview) but there is quite a nice 'virtual tour' here http://www.channel4.com//media/4homes/G/gr...sussex_wood.mov

and a reasonably extensive 7 web pages of step by step details on the project at the top of this page http://www.channel4.com/4homes/ontv/grand-...ex_woodman.html

it was a quality program. i liked it. despite the fact i myself would have been happy in the caravan and the woods. and a fancy ices shop close by. and a laundry. wouldnt have made interesting telly though. kinda boring really that.

C'mon Fred, you know the caravan wouldn't satisfy, and you'd be wittling away & doing BTL to Hobbits in no time. :P