House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

enworb

Been To Any Concerts Or Gigs?

I've seen Michael and Janet Jackson and Prince when he decided to have no name. All brilliant concerts though.

Who have you seen and how do you rate them?

Any concerts in the pipeline?

Only ever been to a meatloaf concert.

Oh and a couple of my friends aint to bad at that r+b / hiphop / dj stuff, seen them perform a few times.

Other that that... nothing.

Off the top of my head:

Status Quo (numerous times)

Rod Stewart

Joe Cocker

Metallica

Marilyn Manson

Little Angels

Terrorvision

Rollings Band

Paul Rodgers

T'Pau

The Cult

Runrig

Meat Loaf

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

The Rolling Stones

Def Leppard (twice)

Guns N' Roses

Soul Asylum

The Corrs (twice)

Sheryl Crow

David Gray

AC/DC

Rush

Toploader

Yes

The Offspring

Robbie Williams

ABC

Velvet Revolver

Muse

The Darkness

Queens Of The Stoneage

Best were: Quo, Rush, Def Leppard, Metallica, Yes, AC/DC, Rolling Stones and The Corrs. Robbie Muse and Terrovision were pretty good also.

Off the top of my head:

Rod Stewart

Joe Cocker

Metallica

Marilyn Manson

Little Angels

Terrorvision

Rollings Band

Paul Rodgers

T'Pau

The Cult

Runrig

Meat Loaf

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

The Rolling Stones

Def Leppard (twice)

Guns N' Roses

Soul Asylum

The Corrs (twice)

Sheryl Crow

David Gray

AC/DC

Rush

Toploader

Yes

The Offspring

Robbie Williams

ABC

Velvet Revolver

Muse

The Darkness

Queens Of The Stoneage

Best were: Quo, Rush, Def Leppard, Metallica, Yes, AC/DC, Rolling Stones and The Corrs. Robbie Muse and Terrovision were pretty good also.

Very impressive. Do you live next door to a stadium by any chance

:lol:

Although I was brought up on rock music I now think it is largely superficial b*llocks. I don't mind watching a few pop vids but in the scheme of things it isnt that important. It is just a money making industry.

This years Live8 concert tried to send the world's politicians a message and it made little or no difference.

Very impressive. Do you live next door to a stadium by any chance

:lol:

pmsl :lol:

No - had to travel bloody miles to most of them! Just really love music and film!

Some of the more memorable - a very mixed bunch:

My first Gig - Run DMC - support from the Beastie Boys. - Brighton Centre about 1989 ish. It was the tour when the Beasties were deported cos Adrock hit a bottle of Bud back into the crowd with a baseball bat and it hit a girl in the head (think it was at Manchester)

I remember thinking it was so cool (the Brighton gig - not what happened after at Manchester)..... Of course these days its a joke - white jewish boys from a middle class background behaving like they were from the 'hood'.

Anyway, they had a sodding great knob that came out of the centre of the stage with naked women in cages at the sides which the band liberally doused in lager at regular intervals. I remember girls in the audience also got their knockers out a lot :) As a young lad this was clearly a memorable event!

Run DMC were cool though. Even today I think that gig would sound good.

Moving on - and what a different gig this was - Grateful Dead - Wembley centre 1990 ish. I must have been the youngest one there and probably the only one not stoned. Still remember Garcia (RIP) playing - awesome.

Only been to Wembley twice - saw Garbage there once - not great. Chrissy Hynde came on and did a turn - a bit embarrasing really.

Another great gig was Pink Floyd - Earls Court. Must have been early nineties. I went the night after some seating collapsed. They brought out some old props - the Spitfire crossing Earls Court and the giant pigs poking out from each side of the stage complete with lazer beam eyes. That gig gave me my greatest gig moment - all the lights went out and one spotlight shone on Dave Gilmour who had an acoustic. He started playing Wish you Were Here, stepped up to the mic to sing the opening lines and he was completely drowned out by the crowd singing every line perfectly - shivers up the spine. (admittedly the crowd was almost exclusively middle aged, balding fat blokes :D )

A good venue worth going to (don't laugh) - the Albert Hall. Apparently the acoustics are supposed to be crap - but I love it. I've seen BB King (the ultimate show man and a full brass backing), Diane Reeves (awesome voice) and Gary Moore. Gary Moore was shite - there's only so much electric blues played by a white guy you can listen to - after a while I was begging for a powercut and he'd have to do an acoustic number.

Those are the ones that stand out. I don't do gigs anymore. These days I'm getting a bit like theChuz - I'm a bit down on people - and there's an awful lot of people at gigs :(

Guest rigsby II

Best were: Rush, Def Leppard....

I saw Def Leppard at one of their first ever gigs at the Dial House Working Mens Club in Sheffield about 1978 - it had Pete Willis on guitar.

The concert secretary kept turning down their amps and all the women were moaning because they wanted to play bingo.

Rush were cracking too - one of the loudest I've ever been too - just found this in a drawer

rush.jpg

They all sound shi*te now (adopting yer grandads voice)

post-1727-1130402486_thumb.jpg

Guest The Dude

Off the top of my head:

Rod Stewart

Joe Cocker

Metallica

Marilyn Manson

Little Angels

Terrorvision

Rollings Band

Paul Rodgers

T'Pau

The Cult

Runrig

Meat Loaf

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

The Rolling Stones

Def Leppard (twice)

Guns N' Roses

Soul Asylum

The Corrs (twice)

Sheryl Crow

David Gray

AC/DC

Rush

Toploader

Yes

The Offspring

Robbie Williams

ABC

Velvet Revolver

Muse

The Darkness

Queens Of The Stoneage

Robbie Williams?.....just curious.. are you a girl Ozz?

Robbie Williams?.....just curious.. are you a girl Ozz?

No, but he is an excellent show man I'll give you that!! I went with my ex actually - she is a big fan.

Rush were cracking too - one of the loudest I've ever been too - just found this in a drawer

They all sound shi*te now (adopting yer grandads voice)

As for Def Leppard and Rush being sh*te now. Well I saw Rush last year and they were awesome!

Def Leppard are still awesome, although Joe's voice is weak live at times.

Guest The Dude

No, but he is an excellent show man I'll give you that!! I went with my ex actually - she is a big fan.

As for Def Leppard and Rush being sh*te now. Well I saw Rush last year and they were awesome!

Def Leppard are still awesome, although Joe's voice is weak live at times.

I hate Robbie Williams with a passion - a vile overrated talentless bastardo. Take That heralded the dawn of what is now Shite Pop Music. No longer had you to be a great musician/lyricist/voice - no all you had to do was be a great mimer who also danced. Enter R Williams. Liam Gallagher was right when he called Williams a 'fat dancer'. By the way, Oasis are shite too - I've heard it all before boys, the same chords, same riffs - put yer plectrums away. Nah, Oasis and Robert Williams are Shite. Full Stop.

Another great gig was Pink Floyd - Earls Court. Must have been early nineties. I went the night after some seating collapsed. They brought out some old props - the Spitfire crossing Earls Court and the giant pigs poking out from each side of the stage complete with lazer beam eyes. That gig gave me my greatest gig moment - all the lights went out and one spotlight shone on Dave Gilmour who had an acoustic. He started playing Wish you Were Here, stepped up to the mic to sing the opening lines and he was completely drowned out by the crowd singing every line perfectly - shivers up the spine. (admittedly the crowd was almost exclusively middle aged, balding fat blokes :D )

- I was there! The exact same night and it WAS truly amazing. I was going through that late teens pink-floyd kind of phase, I remember seeing loads of grown men sobbing like babies when they played "comfortably numb". Best concert I have ever been to and I've been to quite a few since.

Rumours of a tour late 2006? :blink:

I hate Robbie Williams with a passion - a vile overrated talentless bastardo. Take That heralded the dawn of what is now Shite Pop Music. No longer had you to be a great musician/lyricist/voice - no all you had to do was be a great mimer who also danced. Enter R Williams. Liam Gallagher was right when he called Williams a 'fat dancer'. By the way, Oasis are shite too - I've heard it all before boys, the same chords, same riffs - put yer plectrums away. Nah, Oasis and Robert Williams are Shite. Full Stop.

Each to their own I guess. I actually think the Gallagher bros are vile, but I like some of their music

same with Axel Rose and Guns N' Roses.

Who do you like Dude?

Here are some of my favourites gigs:

Fugazi

Julian Cope

Don Cherry

Diblo Dibala

DJ Scotch Egg

Moonflowers

The Fall (many times)

Trashwomen

Thee Headcoats (many times)

Citizen Fish (many times)

Lee Perry

Girls Against Boys

The Cramps

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

Bim Sherman

Babes In Toyland

Richard Thompson

Guest The Dude

Here are some of my favourites gigs:

Fugazi

Julian Cope

Don Cherry

Diblo Dibala

DJ Scotch Egg

Moonflowers

The Fall (many times)

Trashwomen

Thee Headcoats (many times)

Citizen Fish (many times)

Lee Perry

Girls Against Boys

The Cramps

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

Bim Sherman

Babes In Toyland

Richard Thompson

Fantastic taste there Starcrossed......( typed that whilst listening to 'golden' by Jill Scott - which i think is brilliant)

Thanks Dude.

Spot the Peel-obsessive and 30-something straight-edge punk on HPC.

And to add:

Man Or Astroman?

The Stupids

Augustus Pablo

Wish I had seen:

Sun Ra

There was a fascinating documentary on BBC4 this evening about the man from Saturn - did you catch it?

Cheers.

PS Not sure I've heard any Jill Scott. Enlighten me.

Have any of you heard of , or better still, seen Rockbitch. I was all set to watch them locally in Berkshire but they cancelled at last minute. This was over 5 years ago so I don't know if they are still legal in this country. If my memory serves me right , they had already been banned in Germany by then.

For those that haven't heard of them, they are a rock group that play naked..... the rest I will leave to your imagination for fear of having my comments deleted :P

Have any of you heard of , or better still, seen Rockbitch. I was all set to watch them locally in Berkshire but they cancelled at last minute. This was over 5 years ago so I don't know if they are still legal in this country. If my memory serves me right , they had already been banned in Germany by then.

For those that haven't heard of them, they are a rock group that play naked..... the rest I will leave to your imagination for fear of having my comments deleted :P

I've seen a video by them and it is 'hardcore' in more than just the musical sense. It won't get on TOTP anytime soon.

Guest The Dude

Thanks Dude.

Spot the Peel-obsessive and 30-something straight-edge punk on HPC.

And to add:

Man Or Astroman?

The Stupids

Augustus Pablo

Wish I had seen:

Sun Ra

There was a fascinating documentary on BBC4 this evening about the man from Saturn - did you catch it?

Cheers.

Nah...don't watch much TV.....if anything....What I liked about your list was the fact that it wasn't mainstream....No Robbie/Simply Red/Michelle from pop idle crap...A persons taste in music and film (literature as well) is something that I latch onto......it says a lot about them as people. Stuart Pearce likes to play the SEX pistols before a match....Beckham prefers to play James Blunt (ffs)....Give me Stuart Pearce anyday.....and I'm a Man U fan...

Were they originally the Bare Naked Ladies?...... :)

Nah...don't watch much TV.....if anything....What I liked about your list was the fact that it wasn't mainstream....No Robbie/Simply Red/Michelle from pop idle crap...A persons taste in music and film (literature as well) is something that I latch onto......it says a lot about them as people. Stuart Pearce likes to play the SEX pistols before a match....Beckham prefers to play James Blunt (ffs)....Give me Stuart Pearce anyday.....and I'm a Man U fan...

I agree. The most I can ask of somebody is that their taste is their own. That way, even if I didn't agree with their opinion I can respect it.

Forming our own taste takes work.

I have picked up a lot of great music from Peel but it was his utterly rare taste that showed me what to look for in music and that it is possible to like many different styles. I tend to follow where the energy is whatever the musical pigeonhole.

Guest The Dude

I agree. The most I can ask of somebody is that their taste is their own. That way, even if I didn't agree with their opinion I can respect it.

Forming our own taste takes work.

I have picked up a lot of great music from Peel but it was his utterly rare taste that showed me what to look for in music and that it is possible to like many different styles. I tend to follow where the energy is whatever the musical pigeonhole.

For myself, a lot of the music I liked in the early days was politically motivated. Billy Bragg, Smiths, Woodentops....Easterhouse..as well as magazines like Melody Maker, Record Mirror and Sounds ( which was more Rock) .All had some kind of purpose. My life has really been shaped through music. That's why I hate the likes of Robbie Williams.....sanitised tabloid crap with nothing to say. I can still remember as a 13 year old hearing Pretty Vacant at the Youth Club......to me it was amazing.....

I've seen a video by them and it is 'hardcore' in more than just the musical sense. It won't get on TOTP anytime soon.

So you must know about the golden condom :unsure:

A colleague that did get to see them not long before the gig they cancelled, caught the golden condom that was thrown into the crowd. Lets just say it didn't last long. And yes he was embarrasses.And yes he was married :lol:

Guest muttley

Pink Floyd (The Wall...Earls Court)

Genesis

Peter Gabriel

Steve Hillage (Who he?)

Rush

Hawkwind

Yes

Dire Straits

U2

Tangerine Dream

Van Halen

Uriah Heap

The Cure

The Human League

OMD

The Teardrop Explodes

Ultravox (with and without John Foxx)

All between 1979 an 1983.

Although I still enjoy contemporary music I no longer got to concerts.I have also seen some very good musicals and operas too.

ok mix of good and bad .......

(and i am still in hiding from admitting to liking McFly :o )

brother hood of man (first gig - was about 3!)

curiosity killed the cat (first real gig as a grown up teen)

level 42

erasure

prince at main road

genesis at roundhay park

U2 @ Wembley

Oasis - Knebworth

V98, V99, V2000

Robbie Wiliams Knebworth

Shed 7

Coldplay @ Earls Court

Ashton Court Festival (Bristol 2003)

South West Four - Clapham Common

Chilli Peppers Hyde Park

Glastonbury 2000, 2004, 2005

sure there is more - but thats just the ones i can remember now .... (thanks for the blasts from the past trying to remember them all!!)

oh and the Dude - try and refrain from another robbie rant - we know you hate him :)

For myself, a lot of the music I liked in the early days was politically motivated. Billy Bragg, Smiths, Woodentops....Easterhouse..as well as magazines like Melody Maker, Record Mirror and Sounds ( which was more Rock) .All had some kind of purpose. My life has really been shaped through music. That's why I hate the likes of Robbie Williams.....sanitised tabloid crap with nothing to say. I can still remember as a 13 year old hearing Pretty Vacant at the Youth Club......to me it was amazing.....

Dude for all your comments re Williams and Barlow from Take Take they have both sold millions and pleasured many female fans. Whats so wrong with give people a little joy no matter _what_ their musical taste? It smaks of down right snobbery to suggest otherwise. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: