House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Starcrossed

Observation On Debt...

The last two house I have rented have both received letters addressed to previous occupants from utilities, council tax and other 'creditors' asking for bills to be paid up.

I have contacted the companies and council myself to say that the previous occupant has moved away (and to protect myself)

Now, with a bit of basic maths that makes 100% so far that have been naughty boys/girls.

Is this a general experience? How much does all this unpaid debt floating around cost the rest of us in surcharges? And what does it say about society today <I'll stop now, I'm sounding old>

The last two house I have rented have both received letters addressed to previous occupants from utilities, council tax and other 'creditors' asking for bills to be paid up.

I have contacted the companies and council myself to say that the previous occupant has moved away (and to protect myself)

Now, with a bit of basic maths that makes 100% so far that have been naughty boys/girls.

Is this a general experience? How much does all this unpaid debt floating around cost the rest of us in surcharges? And what does it say about society today <I'll stop now, I'm sounding old>

Hi Starcrossed,

The house I rent now was lived in by the LL before us. She did leave some bills unpaid, but the letting agent had her address, so she couldn't escape. She told the gas/electric people she was moving out about a week before she actually did (she's a bit of a space cadet!). The previous place we rented was getting bills but we refered everything to the letting agent, to cover ourselves, they usually appear if the house has been empty. In these cases I would imagine the LL is held responsible for the money.

I know many people who try and escape their council tax, but they always catch up with them.

LG

I've had the same thing <_<

Previous tenants left with all utilities paid, but with several HP companies wanting to know their wherabouts.

We have had calls from at least 3 debt collection agencies chasing them.

I just referred them to our letting agents to confirm that the previous tenants had 'done one'.

Have to be careful this does not affect your credit rating. I have heard/read about cases of people who have been tarred with the same brush just because they share the same address.

Yep. When I was living in London, it so happened my LL was in arrears regarding the mortgage. Really p*ssed me off at the time, after all the hoops they make you jump through and those stupid admin fees and yet the agents don't even bother to check the LL credit history!

:angry:

Yes, in most cases I have referred onto the letting agency as well.

In one instance I spoke to the debt collection agency personally and gave them the letting agents number to ensure that the debt collection people had actually spoken to me rather than the letter gathering dust at the agents while the wait messed up my credit rating.

<the credit rating is a bit superfluous because I don't buy stuff on credit, but what the hell>

Have to be careful this does not affect your credit rating. I have heard/read about cases of people who have been tarred with the same brush just because they share the same address.

I'm fairly sure that the law has changed in regard to this situation, to be honest.It used to be that living in a house where people had defaulted on pay/re-payments, ordered hundreds of pounds of white goods and done a bunk etc etc had this effect, but no more, I'm led to believe.It's to do with somthing called ''financial dissassociation'', and was started by the government for exactly the reasons you're highlighting - i.e. no-one could get credit as previous occupants messed it up.I ordered a copy of my credit file recently and was asked if I would 'like' to provide details of my partner, with whom i co-habit.I declined, as this would have linked me with my partner through financial association (beware this sting if you're not married, you have no legal responsbility to do so).The Citizens' Advice Bureau are great with this sort of thing.Anyone know any more about this?

The credit thing wont matter these days. Rules have changed on the matching routines the credit agencies are allowed to use, so Forename, Date of Birth, Middle Initials and Surname are used to identify dodgy people rather than just 'blacklisted' addresses from previous bad debts.

Yep. When I was living in London, it so happened my LL was in arrears regarding the mortgage. Really p*ssed me off at the time, after all the hoops they make you jump through and those stupid admin fees and yet the agents don't even bother to check the LL credit history!

:angry:

They don't even bother checking your credit reference. It is all a CON!! Just a way of making money I rented a place and mine went through fine and I was bankrupt at the time!!!

Yes, it has, in a way.

Last year I received a letter which I opened... and realised it was not addressed to me but to someone living on the same street. It was an order to "pay or we'll send the boys". I quickly put the letter back in the envelope (which is why I don't know how much was owned or to whom) and went over to post it through the right letterbox.

In 2001, friends got kicked out of the house they rented as the old landlady had popped her clogs and the family wanted to sell. My friends couldn't afford to pay as much as they wanted so they had to move out to another rental house. When they applied for a mortgage about 6 months later to buy a cheaper house, they found out that the previous tenant had a CCJ against him, etc. and they had to get their own credit files cleared before they could go ahead with the mortgage application.