House Price Crash Forum
David74

Wirksworth Matlock Area - Falling?

I am considering relocating from Hertfordshire to the Matlock / Wirksworth area.

I have being looking for three months now and have seen.

1. A house that I looked at prices 192,000 reduced to 180,000

2. A three bedroom detached in Wirksworth that I looked at when it was priced 195,000 reduced to 170,000

3. A house in Stoney middleton for 180,000 with that classic tag line 'we do not expect it to take long to sell' still on the market after three months. Link below for comedy value.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-630...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

Anyone who lives here and know the area I'd welcome your opinion. I was previously thinking of offering at 10% below asking price. Given my recent experience I'd say I'd be offering too much on this basis. I'm currently keeping all the details of properties I look at and any that dissappear (i.e. get sold) I shall be checking the sold price on rightmove and most specifically not believing a word the estate agent says.

There are 20 properties advertised in the window of Halifax EA in Matlock.

6 out of the 20 are marked "new price".

The other EAs seem to be a little more coy about reductions. The phrase 'offers in the region of xxx' is very common though.

Driving round the area, I don't see many Sold signs.

My gut feeling is that sales have tailed off, but there are still plenty of properties coming on to the market.

More properties are appearing 'for sale by auction'; that may also tell you something.

I am considering relocating from Hertfordshire to the Matlock / Wirksworth area.

2. A three bedroom detached in Wirksworth that I looked at when it was priced 195,000 reduced to 170,000

3. A house in Stoney middleton for 180,000 with that classic tag line 'we do not expect it to take long to sell' still on the market after three months. Link below for comedy value.

Anyone who lives here and know the area I'd welcome your opinion. I was previously thinking of offering at 10% below asking price. Given my recent experience I'd say I'd be offering too much on this basis. I'm currently keeping all the details of properties I look at and any that dissappear (i.e. get sold) I shall be checking the sold price on rightmove and most specifically not believing a word the estate agent says.

Hmm... since when was Stoney Middleton in Hope Valley? Not only must it be 10 miles distant, it's a shady, dank place far too near the A6 juggernauts from Blue Circle.

Don't confuse Stoney Middleton, which is near to Eyam (where they had the plague in the 1600's, quite an interesting place) with Middleton near Wirksworth, which is home to the National Stone Centre, but is definitely not Stoney Middleton.

If you're looking for property near Matlock/Wirksworth, it will have a DE4 postcode, not a Stockport (S) one.

Wirksworth is a decent enough place, close to the Peak District. Lots of quarrying activity, therefore heavy lorries trundling about. It's just as overpriced as most places at the moment though.

I would wait mate the sharpe rise in prices in the area have climbed out of reach of locals, but apper to have stagnated recently. though no price falls. recently I thought i would test the water and after 3 years of waiting for the so called crash i put an offer in on a small two bedroom cattage in Tansley priced @ £130. My offer of £105 was considered for about a week but rejected when some fool offered the reduced asking price of £125 Crazy !!!

My search continues and my deposit grows !

I work at an EA in Matlock and we have to actively ring vendors to encourage them to drop prices now. Despite valuers initial advice they put it on the market at a higher price because they think it will attract people looking in Bakewell/Hope Valley area towards the (cheaper) Matlock market. We charge the highest fees in Matlock too!

2bed end terrace (+ loft without planning regs) came on the market last November, in Matlock Bath, advertised at OIRO £160k.

Since then over Xmas/New Year, few viewings but no offers. Price was reduced to OIRO of £135k.

Viewed it in January, offer at £130k accepted. Still waiting for the vendors solicitors to do their legal work.

Perhaps since looking on here (only discovered this site today!!) its made me a very nervous FTB! Worst of all I've got an interest-only mortgage (seems to mean kiss of death on here!!).

Looking at this graph doesn't exactly inspire me with confidence either! http://www.upmystreet.com/property/prices/.../l/de4+3py.html

Yet everyone at work says: "Absolute bargain! Interest-only mortgage - costs you nowt and you just sell it to pay off the whole amount later on!!"

Wonder whether I'm doing the right thing! :rolleyes:

smartie

http://www.gmroads.co.uk

I work at an EA in Matlock and we have to actively ring vendors to encourage them to drop prices now. Despite valuers initial advice they put it on the market at a higher price because they think it will attract people looking in Bakewell/Hope Valley area towards the (cheaper) Matlock market.

Good graph and interesting comments.

I take it you have to ask sellers to lower prices as the market has stagnated

and this is bad for business ?

I have a good deposit and a good salery but would not consider buying until prices reach a more sensible levels. (even though my wife and I have had to put of having a family now for two years) If I were to buy at the top of the market and got burned, the future might not be such a rosey place for me??

We have waited this long so a while more won't hurt.

Yes, I don't work in the residential side (as we call it) but I know the valuer personally and trust his judgement, he has decades of experience. I hear phone calls every couple of weeks to vendors pleading to reduce prices, because the stock doesn't shift that fast, unless it is a quality property.

I know of one property, north of Bakewell, £400k+ valuation, that has been on the market with about 6 different agents in the area, all offering different valuations. We offered the lowest valuation, and after 18 months of false promises, they have finally decided to market with us.

At the opposite end of the scale was a £40k bedsit (basically a cupboard and a toilet) that took well over 6 months to sell.

I think like yourself, saved a good deposit for a number of years, and decent salary (mind you it hasn't gone up this year with the cost of living going up, but thats working for an EA!!), but don't want to get my fingers burnt.

I had this dilemma years ago in 2003, and saw them go up yet again. Perhaps its a case of things come to those who wait, and fools rush in.

Looking at the average price graph really worries me too. For years it has been below national average, but then just recently (for the first ever time) shot up above it?! http://www.upmystreet.com/property/prices/all/l/de4+3py.html

smartie

http://www.gmroads.co.uk

Edited by smartie

Hmm... since when was Stoney Middleton in Hope Valley? Not only must it be 10 miles distant, it's a shady, dank place far too near the A6 juggernauts from Blue Circle.

Quite !

I would be careful about moving into Derbyshire and would recommend spending a few days (weeks, even) in your chosen area. Personally, I love it. That said, it is a special place and shocks a lot of newcomers. Don't be fooled by weekends when, particularly in the summer, a lot of places are deceivingly busy. Visit during the week if you can (when some places are deserted). Matlock is nice enough but, speaking as a visitor, the traffic can be a hassle.

Some of the smaller, more remote Derbyshire villages are amongst the most deprived areas of the country (in terms of social inclusion, access to facilities etc...). You will have to enjoy the remoteness otherwise it will send you fleeing for home. It sounds like our EA friend ( :unsure: ) is giving you some good advice about Matlock but I would be happy to give you my take on any areas in mid/North Derbyshire.

As far as sales go, it's a stand-off. The prices are ridiculous but you do still get a trickle of sales because of the townie-wannabe-farmers and 2nd home buyers. Also, IMO, the ripple hasn't reached some areas yet so the locals just take the VI story. Don't be fooled by the "prices won't fall round here" crew - the price/earnings ratio in Derbyshire must be one of the most unsustainable in UK (25k av salary, yeah right :lol: ).

Quite !

I would be careful about moving into Derbyshire and would recommend spending a few days (weeks, even) in your chosen area. Personally, I love it. That said, it is a special place and shocks a lot of newcomers. Don't be fooled by weekends when, particularly in the summer, a lot of places are deceivingly busy. Visit during the week if you can (when some places are deserted). Matlock is nice enough but, speaking as a visitor, the traffic can be a hassle.

Some of the smaller, more remote Derbyshire villages are amongst the most deprived areas of the country (in terms of social inclusion, access to facilities etc...). You will have to enjoy the remoteness otherwise it will send you fleeing for home. It sounds like our EA friend ( :unsure: ) is giving you some good advice about Matlock but I would be happy to give you my take on any areas in mid/North Derbyshire.

As far as sales go, it's a stand-off. The prices are ridiculous but you do still get a trickle of sales because of the townie-wannabe-farmers and 2nd home buyers. Also, IMO, the ripple hasn't reached some areas yet so the locals just take the VI story. Don't be fooled by the "prices won't fall round here" crew - the price/earnings ratio in Derbyshire must be one of the most unsustainable in UK (25k av salary, yeah right :lol: ).

Considering the Derbyshire Dales is the sixth wealthiest borough of the country source halifax just behind kensington and Chelsea I dont think prices are as over the top as dumps likr Chesterfield. Areas such as Froggatt and Curbar are only surpassed in wealth terms by Belgravia and Sandbanks.The parliamentary constituancy of Derbys West incorporating Derbys Dales is one of the safest Tory seats despite having a dump called Belper tagged on from East Derbys. Benefit Turkeys dont vote for Christmas.Yes wages in the area are low. However this is the commuter belt of Derby,Sheffield and Nottingham. It is also the most beautiful spot in England and makes the South of the Country look like Beirut. Dont get me wrong ,I have just sold my semi in the Dales for 300000and renting, so too am hoiping for a crash.

Err, thats great....but I don't think the person who started the thread is looking to buy a country mansion in f'ing Curbar.

Do you really think the areas you mention are representative of the County as a whole ?? I've found that most people treat those places as a joke - a place to rip off the Cheshire set and make millions from a tithe barn. ;)

Err, thats great....but I don't think the person who started the thread is looking to buy a country mansion in f'ing Curbar.

Do you really think the areas you mention are representative of the County as a whole ?? I've found that most people treat those places as a joke - a place to rip off the Cheshire set and make millions from a tithe barn. ;)

Actually the person who started the thread was looking to buy a house in the Matlock area which lies in the Derbyshire Dales.The economy of the District is entirely different to the rest of Deryshire. I was simply responding to a claim that the District was deprived when every survey I have seen puts it in the top ten of the wealth league.The average house sells for 233K which may be a bit over the top,even if it is a more beautiful destination for wealthy Southern refugees than neighbouring Chav shire.Winster,Ashbourne,Darley Dale,Bakewell,Grindleford,Hathersage,Hartington;that covers about every corner of the Distict,please tell me where the deprivation is?

,please tell me where the deprivation is?

The deprivation is me a FTB who lives and works in the area and has done all my life.

I would have liked some feed back from others like myself who have experienced the frustration of trying to buy a house in the area where you lived and grew up. Those people that hold values like sticking close to family and freinds people that like to walk or cycle to work and maybee say good morning to the people you pass in the sreet, you know the ones you went to school with?

I doubt this will happen when all I can afford is a 1 bedroom ex council flat in Chesterfield.

Rant....rant...rant.

Waiting and enjoying life for a few years sure has come at a high price !

,please tell me where the deprivation is?

The deprivation is me a FTB who lives and works in the area and has done all my life.

I would have liked some feed back from others like myself who have experienced the frustration of trying to buy a house in the area where you lived and grew up. Those people that hold values like sticking close to family and freinds people that like to walk or cycle to work and maybee say good morning to the people you pass in the sreet, you know the ones you went to school with?

I doubt this will happen when all I can afford is a 1 bedroom ex council flat in Chesterfield.

Rant....rant...rant.

Waiting and enjoying life for a few years sure has come at a high price !

I have every sympathy for locals being forced out of the Derbyshire Dales by the high prices as someone who has lived in Matlock all his life.However,now certainly is not the time to be considering moving out to East Derbyshire.Prices in these former coal mining areas have been purely driven by debt and Chavs jumping on the bandwagon.Villages such as Shirebrooke and Clowne in the Chesterfield area with no economic fundamentals to support prices will fall the furthest in percentage terms when the crash does come.Perhaps these are the villages which other bloggers are thinking of as an example of poverty in the Dales.Rather like saying Belgravia is poor and then quoting a street in Tower Hamlets.Back to Matlock prices, yes I think prices are over-priced the latest new build semi-detached off Bakewell Road start from 250k.Considering Matlock is one of the cheaper parts of the Dales thats a rip-off.However,anyone daft enough to buy a house at the moment could do much worse than buy here.Prices have tempered since2004 and are at least ten percent off peak.With real wealth underpinning the market I think falls here will be less when the crash proper comes. God knows when!!!!!!!!at least I take comfort from the fact HPCers only have to grt it right once.Kirsty,Phil and Gordon have to be right forever.

I have every sympathy for locals being forced out of the Derbyshire Dales by the high prices as someone who has lived in Matlock all his life.However,now certainly is not the time to be considering moving out to East Derbyshire.

Thnks for your response crash

I have read and agree with your comments, but do i buy now or wait for possible price falls ?

I to went along to check out the new build starter holmes on bakewell road the nice lady in the sales office told me they would be selling from some where in the 165-175K area but this could move either way. Horrified I asked about the shared ownership scheme ( i beleive the planning could only be agreed if some shared and rent scheme propertys were included) To this she answered oh! that hasnt yet been decided!!

but she would keep my name should anything come up.

You say the dales is below the peak does this warrant overstreching my morgage to buy? after all prices only rise so everyone keeps telling me.

The worring thing is that over the last few months i have noticed a significant increase of sale boards around the town, but some how I can't belive that all these poeple need to move due to work or need to upgrade to larger house my gut feeling is that most want to cash in or try to downgrade. Sorry folk's i won't pay off your morgage fund your new car or expensive holiday.

Im really not happy with the situation.

Your thoughts on this?

Did last nights Phil and Kirsty show just make you want to....

Actually the person who started the thread was looking to buy a house in the Matlock area which lies in the Derbyshire Dales.The economy of the District is entirely different to the rest of Deryshire. I was simply responding to a claim that the District was deprived when every survey I have seen puts it in the top ten of the wealth league.The average house sells for 233K which may be a bit over the top,even if it is a more beautiful destination for wealthy Southern refugees than neighbouring Chav shire.Winster,Ashbourne,Darley Dale,Bakewell,Grindleford,Hathersage,Hartington;that covers about every corner of the Distict,please tell me where the deprivation is?

You seem to misunderstand me......

I said "Some of the smaller, more remote Derbyshire villages are amongst the most deprived areas of the country (in terms of social inclusion, access to facilities etc...). ". By which, I mean social deprivation and not economic wealth. The two things are entirely different and one (wealth) can often mask another (social exclusion). If you disagree that a number of Derbyshire villages (particularly in SW) suffer from rural deprivation then we will have to agree to disagree.

Monkfish

You might want to check out these people.......Peak District Rural Deprivation. I can't say I've had any contact with them but at least they are a voice.

I've been priced out of my village too :angry:

Yeah I was told "there must be starter homes" by a Wusser friend (who also happens to develop) on that new Morledge (William Davis Homes) estate, because of section 106, etc.

DDDC said there wasn't any according to their knowledge. Only Homebuy were they lent you the 25% without the rent paid on it.

Rightmove currently has 28 pages of property in Matlock.

Funnily enough their house is on the market, and has been for a few months, with a £450k price tag!

smartie

"Never mind outdoing your parents, what about answering to the children of the future?"

I agree that young people are suffering from social exclusion in the Dales having been priced out by people retiring from the South and wealthy Sheffield commuters.We are a bit more mature than the Welsh here though and wont burning down your cottage or forcing you to take Derbyshire language lessons.....Eh up arr yeh alrait etc.We recognise that outsiders have probably worked hard to scrape together that 300 k to buy that 2 bed hovel in say Parwich.Nevertheless it is unforgiveable that the local authority isnt doing more to provide cheap housing for young people even taking into account planning restrictions in a National Park.In fact the only social concern the Authorities have at the moment is that the area from Sherwood Forest in Nottinghamshire in the East to Hartington in the West is devoid of any ethnic minorities meaning upwardly mobile minorities from Derby and Nottingham dont have a choice as to where they can live. My advice to any young person considering buying around Wirksworth or Matlock is wait.The same concerns were voiced in1989 but by 1996 everyone except the very poorest could afford to buy.