House Price Crash Forum
NEO72

'grey Students' Set To Take Universities By Storm

Clearly having access to free university education in their youth is not good enough. I don't usually get into boomer bashing and know there are a few notable exceptions on here but ffs why not just round up all those under the age of 35, bend them over simultaneously and just get it over with? :angry:

A grey revolution is about to take place in Britain's higher education institutions from September, when part-time students become eligible for loans to cover the cost of their courses for the first time.Under the new rules, there will be no age limit as to who can apply – and the students will not have to repay loans until they are earning £21,000 a year.

Will Swann, director of students at the Open University, is urging older students to apply on the grounds it is unlikely that they will ever have to repay their loans. If they are retired, there is little chance that they will be earning more than £21,000 a year.

However, he insisted it would be "good value for money" to encourage more elderly students to apply.

He told a conference that a rise in elderly applications was likely to be one of the "unintended consequences" of the new policy.

"I don't think they could have put an age limit on it," he said. "That would be against the law.

"Research has shown that if people keep their brains active in their old age they are far more likely to stay well and fit,"he said.

If students are studying for their first degree they will be eligible for a loan but not if they are taking a lesser or equivalent qualification to one they already have.The loans will be up to £6, 750 a year – the maximum that universities can charge for a part-time course.

Independent

To be honest why waste money on uni when you can do all your own study for very little from a wide variety of other sources and just pay a nominal fee to take the exam. ;)

Honestly, this whole thing is so out of control now. They'll do anything to prop up this Property/University/Banker Ponzi debt bubble.

This is what the dying days of a currency looks like folks.

Clearly having access to free university education in their youth is not good enough. I don't usually get into boomer bashing and know there are a few notable exceptions on here but ffs why not just round up all those under the age of 35, bend them over simultaneously and just get it over with? :angry:

Independent

Don't see quite what the problem is. I'm thinking of returning to law studies at 55 and am prepared to pay for it. I've probably got another 25-30 years of working life ahead of me at least.

Sounds like wishful thinking by the educational establishment desperate to fill places rather than a boomer conspiracy.

The OU has probably just realised that their recent massive hike in fees has just scared off a good part of their former mature student customer base.

Why would anyone who is retired want to borrow thousands for a largely meaningless degree when they can study almost any subject they want for next to nothing with a little effort. Moreover only a complete sucker would believe that spiel about you not having to pay it back if you earn less than £ 21,000. Those sort of rules have nasty habit of changing after they have lured you into the ponzi.

On edit - The stats suggest mature students are loath to sign up for degrees at English Universities with fees of upto £9000 pa. Applications are apparently down by 11.9% Moreover, boomers are not eligible for student loans if taking a second degree after August 2012 contrary to what the o/p at the top of thread suggests

http://www.thefounder.co.uk/2012/06/07/mature-students-victims-of-the-undergraduate-fee-increase/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-16787948

Edited by stormymonday_2011

To be honest why waste money on uni when you can do all your own study for very little from a wide variety of other sources and just pay a nominal fee to take the exam. ;)

can you do that?

I went into full time education 3 years ago and university 2 years ago aged 46. Really don't see what the problem is. Tax man has had 25 years of NI + tax from me already and will get the student loan repaid too.

Student loan applicable as this is my first degree. If you already have a degree you don't get SL for a second one and have to pay full price.

Tutors are very open about liking mature students as we seem to attend all lectures, less likely to drop out and engage fully with the course.

Reckon I have a good 20 years of working ahead of me so why shouldn't I do something that will provide me with some satisfaction and employment too?

I went to the same university at the same time as my son which he found hilarious.

I would thoroughly recommend it.

I've done two undergraduate degrees and two postgraduate degrees at different points in my life. What 's the problem?

Good for you.

And as long as you are capable of earning enough for long enough to pay them back to repay the loans there is no problem. That's not really the point of the article though is it?

I've done two undergraduate degrees and two postgraduate degrees at different points in my life. What 's the problem?

The problem isn't the degrees, its that the student loan book is underwritten by the UK taxpayer. ie. Ponzi Debt QE Financed!

It's more ponzi debt, to prop up the bubble. The young have woken up, and realised there aren't enough jobs. So they aren't entering the ponzi scheme anymore. So HMG in now trying to draw in anyone they can. Bernie Madoff style.

Why does a 65 year old need to do a degree? I mean really, c'mon. It's a waste of resources. The country does not need OAP graduates.

can you do that?

The University of London offers external degrees but you usually have to study at an approved institution (it does not necessarily have to be in the UK).

Nelson Mandela did his course while in prison

Costs vary per course but it is generally cheaper than both full time English University degrees and the OU.

http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk/courses/search/?solrsort=sort_title%20asc&filters=%20tid%3A557

It's more ponzi debt, to prop up the bubble. The young have woken up, and realised there aren't enough jobs. So they aren't entering the ponzi scheme anymore. So HMG in now trying to draw in anyone they can. Bernie Madoff style.

Stats on the BBC article suggest the opposite.

It is mature students not the young who are more reluctant to take degrees after the recent fees hike

Edited by stormymonday_2011

The problem isn't the degrees, its that the student loan book is underwritten by the UK taxpayer. ie. Ponzi Debt QE Financed!

Why does a 65 year old need to do a degree? I mean really, c'mon. It's a waste of resources. The country does not need OAP graduates.

I think the article is ******** though. I've known people in their 40s, 50s and 60s who've done degrees and I don't remember any of them talking about taking out loans. Each of my 'mature' degrees has just been paid for up-front without even investigating loan opportunities. In my view the article is simply scaremongering.

Some want the recognition of gaining a degree - maybe it wasn't possible to study one (for whatever reason) when they were 18, others are making a career change, others are studying out of academic interest but want a course to provide direction and structure.

Will Swann's comment is simply because he's still hacked off after the OU campaigned so hard (unsuccessfully) to avoid having tax relief removed from course fees for mature students.

Clearly having access to free university education in their youth is not good enough.

Another lie. Around 10% of boomers actually went to uni . The other 90% were paying taxes at 18.

Another lie. Around 10% of boomers actually went to uni . The other 90% were paying taxes at 18.

I'm still a bit young to be a boomer, however we still had to compete.My school classes had 40 + people in them I think, and we largely taught in mobiles and temporary classrooms to cope with the swollen numbers, not the fantastic PFI funded palaces of today. Leaving at 16 as local factory fodder was the norm (especially if you were sidelined from 11 onwards). Boomers will continue to compete in old age for health, pensions and geriatric care and other resources with people of their own generation. I left school at 16 and by the time I went to college was fully funded by the government admittedly (not needing a parental contribution), as I'd already been working four years.

Edited by Socially Housed

Don't see quite what the problem is. I'm thinking of returning to law studies at 55 and am prepared to pay for it. I've probably got another 25-30 years of working life ahead of me at least.

I think I can raise you on that! :) I'm coming up to 65 and I hope to work until 75. Then I hope to do a full-time course at art college at my own expense. Then I hope to work as an artist until I am about 90!

Sounds like wishful thinking by the educational establishment desperate to fill places rather than a boomer conspiracy.

The OU has probably just realised that their recent massive hike in fees has just scared off a good part of their former mature student customer base.

Why would anyone who is retired want to borrow thousands for a largely meaningless degree when they can study almost any subject they want for next to nothing with a little effort. Moreover only a complete sucker would believe that spiel about you not having to pay it back if you earn less than £ 21,000. Those sort of rules have nasty habit of changing after they have lured you into the ponzi.

On edit - The stats suggest mature students are loath to sign up for degrees at English Universities with fees of upto £9000 pa. Applications are apparently down by 11.9% Moreover, boomers are not eligible for student loans if taking a second degree after August 2012 contrary to what the o/p at the top of thread suggests

http://www.thefounder.co.uk/2012/06/07/mature-students-victims-of-the-undergraduate-fee-increase/

Yes, I'd like to know the stats on this.

I've done a number of OU courses purely out of interest, but current one will be the last.

Yes, I'd like to know the stats on this.

I've done a number of OU courses purely out of interest, but current one will be the last.

I got my first degree in the OU ages ago. Then the fees were very reasonable or even low. The last time I looked they were quite burdensome to a normal working person, I would say. When I did my OU degree, I think unemployed people could get it free or nearly free.

Meh. Just headline grabbing nonsense.

There are plenty of [free] on-line courses available for those who have some interest in particular subjects, and who the heck in or near retirement is going to sacrifice three or four of their 'golden' years to sit in with a bunch of noisy, ill mannered, lazy, and plukey faced 18-20 year olds?

The UK education industry is in decline just like everything else here.

Finally, who the heck is going to hire a 50+ year old graduate, when there are 1000's of 21 year olds with the same qualifications?

Get real.

Besides, when you have the likes of MIT, Berkeley, Harvard, the UK red bricks and other global leaders slowly entering into the fold of open courseware, it makes the 'open' university even more irrelevant and twice as pants as it ever was.

I got my first degree in the OU ages ago. Then the fees were very reasonable or even low. The last time I looked they were quite burdensome to a normal working person, I would say. When I did my OU degree, I think unemployed people could get it free or nearly free.

The OU prices were hiked when the government withdrew their previous subsidies. It's still a hell of a lot cheaper than paying for most 'bricks and mortar' unis, even those offering p/t or distance learning.

I honestly doubt many oldies would bother, and besides, limited by UK capped fees, I don't see why universities would be keen to take them on over younger people - they'd have to convince in the selection process that they may have some use for the degree to justify taking someone else's place

I honestly doubt many oldies would bother, and besides, limited by UK capped fees, I don't see why universities would be keen to take them on over younger people - they'd have to convince in the selection process that they may have some use for the degree to justify taking someone else's place

They always have taken them on, on part time/evening courses. Basically the same courses done by working people who have to do a day job as well. Same curriculum and coursework but without the drink, drugs and sex of course! You also have to actually turn up for the lectures, which tend to be more intensive of course. And you have to pay the tutition fee's and exam charges!

Do any employers actually take an OU degree seriously?

I thought the only reason for an OU degree was interest and self-betterment so this whole you'll never earn enough to pay back the loan is hardly a change.

According to people I know who work in unis, both lecturing staff and finance staff, the unis are cacking themselves about the downturn in student numbers re student fees and the knock-on affect on uni jobs.

However, I am told that in the case of the Welsh unis there is pretty much still a big slice of denial pie amongst many of the lecturing staff - some of whom have no students or who have more fingers than they have students. I am talking about lecturing staff on 50K, 70K and more per year salaries, plus nice pension of course, who have ridden through this recession, and the last two, without any affect on them.

Personally, I would fire all the lecturing staff and replace them with over 60 retirees.