House Price Crash Forum

Emigrate... Uk For Aus

All,

With whichever party in power hell bent on delaying the inevitable HPC and all associated fallout I am considering wifey and I's next step. Both late 20's, both professional based jobs in the North with above average pay and pretty secure futures at companies. So there is no reason to leave... apart from.... savings and wages not buying even a reasonable house in a reasonable area, chavs, climate etc etc. This doesn't look like it will change soon however we have given it until early 2013 and review house prices and the economic climate then.

If nothing changes..

Both our jobs can port to Australia - Melbourne, Sydney, Perth or Brisbane. Pay would be higher than the UK but the cost of living also higher and we would rent somewhere in a city and probably not save a great deal in exchange for 'seeing' the country and surrounding places while we are there. 2 or 3 years there and return to blighty with houses 20-30% cheaper? But is Aus any better - we talk about leaving the UK however is Aus is simialr western economy with its own issues.

Or is it simply down to - go and experience life while you are young and worry about houses etc later!?

Any thoughts!

All,

With whichever party in power hell bent on delaying the inevitable HPC and all associated fallout I am considering wifey and I's next step. Both late 20's, both professional based jobs in the North with above average pay and pretty secure futures at companies. So there is no reason to leave... apart from.... savings and wages not buying even a reasonable house in a reasonable area, chavs, climate etc etc. This doesn't look like it will change soon however we have given it until early 2013 and review house prices and the economic climate then.

If nothing changes..

Both our jobs can port to Australia - Melbourne, Sydney, Perth or Brisbane. Pay would be higher than the UK but the cost of living also higher and we would rent somewhere in a city and probably not save a great deal in exchange for 'seeing' the country and surrounding places while we are there. 2 or 3 years there and return to blighty with houses 20-30% cheaper? But is Aus any better - we talk about leaving the UK however is Aus is simialr western economy with its own issues.

Or is it simply down to - go and experience life while you are young and worry about houses etc later!?

Any thoughts!

Hi. Just came back from two years in Aus. One year each in Brisbane and Sydney respectively. Two considerations:

1. If you're going to enjoy life and Australia's habitat for two years and then come home, do it. We had a great laugh and had our two daughters with us.

2. If you're looking to go there for a better quality of life.....fuggheeddabatt it. The bubble in Australia is many, many times worse. 'Portfolio of properties' thinking is rife.

ps. It also rains like f***, Perth apart !

Each to their own but Australia is in a crazy bubble at the moment and the cost of living is much worse than here not to mention medical & school fees etc etc.

If you can afford I would recommend going over for 4 weeks minimum and rent a proper family house for all that time and do the everyday mundane things like the weekly shopping, driving miles to get anything / anywhere you want to visit etc then you will at least have a realistic view of life in Oz.

We have been across twice for a minimum of 6 weeks each time and eventually decided it wasn't for us but obviously each to their own.

However saying all that, there was a time it would have made sense to give it a go imho - when it was 3 $Oz to the £ for example and pre their housing boom as you could have bought over there and sold and come back with a lot of cash but not today.

Hi. Just came back from two years in Aus. One year each in Brisbane and Sydney respectively. Two considerations:

1. If you're going to enjoy life and Australia's habitat for two years and then come home, do it. We had a great laugh and had our two daughters with us.

2. If you're looking to go there for a better quality of life.....fuggheeddabatt it. The bubble in Australia is many, many times worse. 'Portfolio of properties' thinking is rife.

ps. It also rains like f***, Perth apart !

Apologies if people have already tapped into it... I've just found it. A guy called Rob Pickles returned to the UK after 12 years in Oz and couldn't wait to get away. His articles come under "Diary of a returning Expat". Worth reading just for the bile contained in the comments at the end of each article.

I 've visited 3 times now :Darwin ,Perth and Cairns and love the sense of space and freedom , the sun , the birds (feathered) and would move there tomorrow if I could only #$#*@$ get in.

Go. I've done the international move a couple of times now. Whilst it does cost financially, and Australia for example is not cheap, it's always better to look back and say 'I tried' rather than 'what if'. Plus, you WILL create wonderful memories of places and people, which can never be taken away from you by the taxman.....

I did it five weeks ago, going to take it six months at a time, nothing is forever, well apart from death and taxes.........

Two things, the housing bubble here is crazy, but it is slowly popping, my mate, a Pom, bought in 2006 for $1.45 million, his next door neighbour, same size plot, just sold for $900k...............So its down, spoke to my real estate agent last week, who i rent off....She is 29, her and hubby own five properties, circa cost all together around $2 million ozzy dollars, bought prices......

They are all at least.......... she states worth less than she paid, a minimum of 10% underwater, as i write..........So she is around 5 times buying and selling costs down, so thats $100k, plus at least $200k down on buying prices, so her deposits all gone......At 29 $300k in negative equity, not good for the general economy......

The cost of living out here is crazy, its killing the real economy.............People are skint, second hand car prices are dropping, thats quite unique out here....

Saying that i love it here, but i will spend all i have, work and settle only for what i can afford, which is not alot.........But blue skies, large spaces, time is free, its what you value i guess..............

I emigrated to Aus on a Permie Residents VISA in March.

Some observations good and bad ;

Expensive - espcially food and accommodation which I have contained by working FIFO so 2/3 weeks digs and grub covered. On R&R go on a diet to save cash :lol:

Weather is great - just had a trip uyp to Lancelin and a 10K hike down the beach

Air quality is great

Pwoperdee Mania is alive and kickin and every other conversation is about investment properties and negative gearing (yawn)

Mining Sector is Australia's, indeed the World's superlative bureacracy. In one day in AUS you will fill out more H&S forms than in 30 in the UK

Apologies if people have already tapped into it... I've just found it. A guy called Rob Pickles returned to the UK after 12 years in Oz and couldn't wait to get away. His articles come under "Diary of a returning Expat". Worth reading just for the bile contained in the comments at the end of each article.

I 've visited 3 times now :Darwin ,Perth and Cairns and love the sense of space and freedom , the sun , the birds (feathered) and would move there tomorrow if I could only #$#*@$ get in.

Hilarious blog - dude had some serious problems.

If the original poster has some specific questions, happy to answer.

Overall - if it's just for a couple of years, I can't see any downside to coming over. You'd be mad to chose anywhere other than Sydney, IMHO.

All - Thanks for your comments. Its going to take some balls for me to leave a relatively safe job etc but I think we are coming round to the fact we have to try it while we are young......

Aussie - Thanks for your offer to answer some queries. Take Sydney - I would work in the CBD by week (Pitt St ish).

How much would it cost me to get rent a 2 bed place within 20 mins on the train in the morning?

Or am I better getting somewhere really central and paying more?

How much to get a decent broadband and phone package?

For me I know the cost of shopping etc is more and thats fine as we dont eat too much!

We would want to go out and see the wilderness with our time off and probably mean renting a car which I assume is relatively cheap?

All - Thanks for your comments. Its going to take some balls for me to leave a relatively safe job etc but I think we are coming round to the fact we have to try it while we are young......

Aussie - Thanks for your offer to answer some queries. Take Sydney - I would work in the CBD by week (Pitt St ish).

How much would it cost me to get rent a 2 bed place within 20 mins on the train in the morning?

For me I know the cost of shopping etc is more and thats fine as we dont eat too much!

We would want to go out and see the wilderness with our time off and probably mean renting a car which I assume is relatively cheap?

Hmmm... I reckon domain.com.au is a better source for rental costs than me. Location wise, the choice is whether you want to be handy for pubs etc or whether you fancy something more suburban. Happy to give my 10c on any suburbs... although I'm a stuk in my ways Eastern bubs denizen.

BBand and phone - again, hop online. All lot more expensive that you'd hope, though.

Renting in a car on a budget - I've always got a Corolla from Kensington on William Street (the place with the "no birds" motto). I've never been into rent a wrecks so can't help there.

Hilarious blog - dude had some serious problems.

If the original poster has some specific questions, happy to answer.

Overall - if it's just for a couple of years, I can't see any downside to coming over. You'd be mad to chose anywhere other than Sydney, IMHO.

Mad as a hatter. This guy should be living in splendid isolation in teepee village in Llanwrdda well away from civilisation. On reflection I don't think even they would welcome him.

• 2 weeks later...

Ben - re renting; NSW had a new Act covering renting last year, but estate agents are just as bad here as in the UK and will blatently feed off a tenants lack of knowledge. Last place I rented in Sydney they included clauses in the tenancy re paying for cleaning on exit which are specifically banned in the legislation. When I pointed it out, a wry smile but no apology.

I would strongly recommend getting there in some serviced apartment to start with, and spend a LOT of time looking for a decent place to rent. For example, for a city which has a baking summer and damp/chilly winter at times, the build/insulation in most places is simply appalling, resulting in ovens in the summer and mouldy caves in the winter. You need to do your research well as there are just as many bad BTL landlords who have no cashflow, so cannot keep properties up to date. Last TWO places I rented in Sydney had aircon problems after the first week, and only by being very insistant did I get a fix paid for quickly. PM if you want more advice.

re seeing the sights - having a car is good to see places, certainly; the trains can get you to the blue mountains but other train lines to awesome parts are few and far between. You might find it cheaper to buy a second hand car than rent a lot - if you know how not to buy a lemon.

Finally, if you work in an industry that does long days (i.e. finance), you do NOT want a long commute on a train. Sydney trains can be a real arseache. Melbourne is different, but looks like you are fixed on Sydney.

Lastly, start the PR and citizenship process as fast as you humanly can. Getting harder every year, and if you do not get at least PR, you have one month after losing a job to leave the country.....

Edited by wherebee

Ben - re renting; NSW had a new Act covering renting last year, but estate agents are just as bad here as in the UK and will blatently feed off a tenants lack of knowledge. Last place I rented in Sydney they included clauses in the tenancy re paying for cleaning on exit which are specifically banned in the legislation. When I pointed it out, a wry smile but no apology.

I would strongly recommend getting there in some serviced apartment to start with, and spend a LOT of time looking for a decent place to rent. For example, for a city which has a baking summer and damp/chilly winter at times, the build/insulation in most places is simply appalling, resulting in ovens in the summer and mouldy caves in the winter. You need to do your research well as there are just as many bad BTL landlords who have no cashflow, so cannot keep properties up to date. Last TWO places I rented in Sydney had aircon problems after the first week, and only by being very insistant did I get a fix paid for quickly. PM if you want more advice.

re seeing the sights - having a car is good to see places, certainly; the trains can get you to the blue mountains but other train lines to awesome parts are few and far between. You might find it cheaper to buy a second hand car than rent a lot - if you know how not to buy a lemon.

Finally, if you work in an industry that does long days (i.e. finance), you do NOT want a long commute on a train. Sydney trains can be a real arseache. Melbourne is different, but looks like you are fixed on Sydney.

Lastly, start the PR and citizenship process as fast as you humanly can. Getting harder every year, and if you do not get at least PR, you have one month after losing a job to leave the country.....

If WA is anything to go by recruitment processes are excruciatingly slow although that may just be the mining sector which I am unfortunately enough to work in (please god get me back to the sane world of oil and gas soon, please).

• 7 months later...

I've stayed in both Sydney and Brisbane recently. Lived in both before. A few comments on local conditions

1. Food out at restaurants was very poor and over priced. If your lifestyle includes eating out a lot I would reconsider this idea. Especially if you like top quality food.

2. Food at supermarkets was limited and very expensive. It was possible to buy some quality items for example the lamb, and in the mango season we really enjoyed these

3. The weather was terrible in Brisbane. We were there for months of rain and cyclones during their summer. Brisbane has had a changing weather pattern were were told by the locals and it now gets an almost monsoon summer. Flooding is still a huge problem. The high temperatures mean that outdoor sports are out for long periods of time. People don't even use their gardens and balconies in the heat.

4. The standard of housing we found in Brisbane was very poor. Old "Queenslander" houses cold in the winter and hot in the summer. New build flats small and expensive. Air con still not available in rented flats in all rooms. Most of the flats and houses we looked at had air con only in the sitting room if at all.

5. If you like cultural things (like plays, opera and ballet) then Brisbane would be a disappointment. We did find lot so things to do and see in Sydney though.

6. Public transport at breaking point in Sydney. Buses and trains worse than London. We found Brisbane public transport good and assessable. I'm disabled and so this was important to me.

7. Little availability of organic food and products. Lots of artificial food and things. What organic or natural products there are were expensive.

8. Very expensive furniture and household goods

9. Clothes very expensive, little variety and poor quality

10. There were lots of interesting jobs advertised for us both in Sydney and Brisbane. Brisbane though didn't have the "head office" large company jobs though.

11. Medical care seemed poor and most people we met had medical insurance. Met with some people from the local branch of my disabled group. They were in a pretty bad way with both access to medical care, benefits and support.

12. We had to show ID (a passport) to send a simple parcel at the PO and to buy a SIM card.

It's all subjective depending on what sport of lifestyle you would like to have and what is important to you. The above is just a few personal observations.

Edited by Flopsy
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Looks like I may be off to Melbourne for six to twelve months next year. Almost three years on from the start of this thread, how are things in the lucky country?

Edited by Will!

OK in parts, and a lot better than the UK!

Make sure you go to the melbourne rebels home games at AAMI park. Cheap and loads o fun.