House Price Crash Forum

Uk Tourism To Lose 3.5 Billion Due To Olympics

HOLA441

On the Adam Bolton show just now they were talking about the Olympics costing the UK 3.5 billion this year.

Some woman guest pointed out that it was worth it for all the change that has happened in the east end of London.

Go tell that to people whoses jobs depend on the tourist industry in the rest of the UK luv.

HOLA442

They've created a ghost town................idiots.

Wouldnt it be great if when it got going, [after the thousands of dignitaries bugger off] the cameras panned to great empty swathes of seats in the stadium......

Absolute proof that everything in 'Rip off Britain', was massively overinflated, broadcast around the world.:lol:

All publicly funded too wasnt it?

There may also be a downturn in home grown tourism to attractions as people spend a few weeks watching TV

HOLA443
HOLA444

They've created a ghost town................idiots.

Wouldnt it be great if when it got going, [after the thousands of dignitaries bugger off] the cameras panned to great empty swathes of seats in the stadium......

Absolute proof that everything in 'Rip off Britain', was massively overinflated, broadcast around the world.:lol:

All publicly funded too wasnt it?

too true.

People must have been cringing at the prospect of booking a holiday in the UK for this summer. Maybe many were looking to book these 2012 holidays sometime last year, when the hype was that tourism was to get a massive boost, flying in the face of all the previous evidence. Maybe plenty of places already hiked prices in anticipation of the flood of bookings, only to realise... that they've all gone to France instead..

Consequently, I wonder for those people who didn't book anything in advance, whether there are plenty of bargains about now?

HOLA445
HOLA446

How many life saving operations, cancer treatments etc could £10 billion of public sector money have paid for?

The original 'spirit' of the olympics' is long since dead.

Its now just another way to rape the public purse, giving hundreds of millions to corporations, isnt it?

Do your little bit by taking your business away from olympic sponsors. For example, if your electricity/gas suppliers are sponsors, move elsewhere and tell them why you're going.

HOLA447
Its now just another way to rape the public purse, giving hundreds of millions to corporations, isnt it?

No, it's not.

More than half of the money spent on the Olympics went to land speculators who snapped up real estate in the intended Olympic sites in the days after we won the bid.

It's the reason the cost more than doubled... because they had to pay more to buy the land. They make no secret of this, although the government has been reluctant to talk about the fact that the land they had to buy had changed hands a few years or even month earlier for far less.

Land speculators made an absolute KILLING.

Edited by RufflesTheGuineaPig

HOLA448
HOLA449

Nitpicking. I would classify Land Speculators as corporations, as well as construction main contractors etc..

No entity other than Government, could estimate cost at £2.37 Billion, a staggering amount, yet see a final bill of £25 Billion.

They need shooting.

The propaganda i was reading earlier this week has been shouting about it coming in under budget at less than £9 billion. Where did you find the £25 billion figure?

Edited for splelling

Edited by Spot

HOLA4410

We are going abroad for 2 weeks, for the first time in about 7 years. Partly to get away from it.

Was talking to my dentist about this just the other day. Some friends of hers are going abroad to escape the Olympics.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Nitpicking. I would classify Land Speculators as corporations, as well as construction main contractors etc..

While they may hide behind faceless dummy corporations, the big land speculators are NOT corporations.

Also, most of the construction companies have made very little. Many avoid a big loss by importing workers from eastern Europe. It's expensive to actually produce anything these days, as the workers have rent to pay.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Rocket launchers on roofs etc must be so encouraging to tourists.

Along the same lines as having police noncing around with sub-machine guns in airports.

Is the prospect of them cutting loose in a public place supposed to make people feel safe? I doubt that somehow

HOLA4417

No entity other than Government, could estimate cost at £2.37 Billion, a staggering amount, yet see a final bill of £25 Billion.

They need shooting.

First rule in government spending, why build one when you have have two at twice the price?

HOLA4418

Does that include £1,450 for Saltire flags during the Olympic Torch relay?

When the economic growth figures come out for Q3, we shall find out how crowding out theory really works in practice. With London practically shut down for over 3 weeks, £25bn could look like a very low estimate by then.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/9333204/Alex-Salmonds-men-in-black-try-to-make-Olympics-less-British.html

HOLA4419

While they may hide behind faceless dummy corporations, the big land speculators are NOT corporations.

Also, most of the construction companies have made very little. Many avoid a big loss by importing workers from eastern Europe. It's expensive to actually produce anything these days, as the workers have rent to pay.

I think it was Laing who built the Wales Millenium Stadium and took a hit of several million loss on the contract? That was during the boom.

HOLA4420

On the Adam Bolton show just now they were talking about the Olympics costing the UK 3.5 billion this year.

Some woman guest pointed out that it was worth it for all the change that has happened in the east end of London.

Go tell that to people whoses jobs depend on the tourist industry in the rest of the UK luv.

Puh-lease , all that 'change' in the east end is just one riot away from returning back to what it was before.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Construction companies never make a profit on any of their projects.

They are always trying to catch up from the last loss making project.

At least that's what they always say.

Things are always so difficult for them so it's no wonder cheap labour is so essential from Poland and so on.

HOLA4423

Its not just tourism that is affected. I am a member of a gliding club which is going to suffer due to this wonderful prestigious event. Due to paranoia about a twin towers style attack, the authorities have severely restricted airspace within a wide radius of all the Olympic sites, i.e. most of southern England throughout July and August. This will curtail most flying activity and will result in a projected £30,000 loss in revenue to us. This comes at a time when we are already struggling to attract new members due to the economic downturn. Many of the more affluent members of the club who own their own gliders are taking them to France and Spain for the duration and I'm sure that these struggling economies will welcome their business.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Its not just tourism that is affected. I am a member of a gliding club which is going to suffer due to this wonderful prestigious event. Due to paranoia about a twin towers style attack, the authorities have severely restricted airspace within a wide radius of all the Olympic sites, i.e. most of southern England throughout July and August. This will curtail most flying activity and will result in a projected £30,000 loss in revenue to us. This comes at a time when we are already struggling to attract new members due to the economic downturn. Many of the more affluent members of the club who own their own gliders are taking them to France and Spain for the duration and I'm sure that these struggling economies will welcome their business.

I think you fail to appreciate that if we don't surrender freedoms then the freedom hating terrorists will win. It's simple really.