House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Oldlurker

Online Broker - Gold Bullion Securities

I already have an online marketmaster account with Barclays stockbrokers and want to purchase some Gold Bullion Securities stock. But have been informed that it's not possible to do so online and that I will have to do it over the phone for £36 (on 3.5 K). This seems a little bit steep. Was wondering if anybody knew a cheaper route ???

3.5k? Might as well take a chance on keeping a dozen 1 oz bullion coins under a floorboard somewhere.

I have an eTrade online share dealing account and you can't trade GBS online there either. In fact, I don't think you can trade any ETF's online with eTrade.

Does anybody out there know if you can trade ETFs online anywhere?

You can't trade GBS online but set up an account with Hoodless Brennan (very quick - takes about 10 mins) and you will need to call them to place the GBS trade as it is a US stock

http://www.hoodlessbrennan.com/

First months trades are free, thereafter it is £7 for online trades and £12.50 for telephone I think. I did this with them and was charged nothing for buying GBS over the phone as it was within the first month.

I already have an online marketmaster account with Barclays stockbrokers and want to purchase some Gold Bullion Securities stock. But have been informed that it's not possible to do so online and that I will have to do it over the phone for £36 (on 3.5 K). This seems a little bit steep. Was wondering if anybody knew a cheaper route ???

I bought through 'Squaregain' (net based broker). Wasn't able to buy online, but could do so over the phone and it cost me the grand sum of 12.50.

From the GBS website:

"Investors in Gold Bullion Securities, which are traded on the London Stock Exchange under the symbol GBS, become beneficial owners of gold backing each security. This securitisation of gold bullion overcomes a number of issues that have proved to be barriers to accessing gold’s unique qualities...."