House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Smell the Fear

Age Discrimination Legislation

As many of you will be aware, age discrimination legislation is due to come into effect next year in the UK. Personally i am in favour of a level playing field in all areas of life, but from a purely analytical view is this going to strengthen the hand of the older generations vs. the new?

In addition to holding most of the country's assets and houses, will this now enable them to increase their position in the employment market (looking at it from a macro level), thereby weakening further the position of the young who are currently locked out of the housing market?

Are we set to be a generation of drones, existing only to service the needs of an older generation? Perhaps we can expect to take their senior jobs when we reach 55 or 60 rather than 35 or 40, thereby forcing us to subsist on the lower rungs of the employment ladder, paying them rents?

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Going back to 1981 I was considered too old at 37 yeas of age for employment. That was the beginning of the era where employers wanted to work the younger ones so they would be burnt out by 40, then get rid of them and fetch the younger willing blood in. No worries with me I definitely don`t want your jobs. <_<

Interesting what Charlie says. I've found the older you get, the less cr*p you are willing to take at work. So they ship in a load of graduates who are too daft to say no for their own good...just as I was!

<_<

If the goverment want people to work into there seventies then they should be dealing with this sort of descrimination.

I worked for a company that went bust about 8 to 10 yrs ago, we all had to find new jobs. Those over 55 really struggled, many of them were hard working very experienced people, who would have been a credit to any company. It's sad that all some employers see is there age.

However, as someone who has interviewed for staff, you are forced to descriminate to some extent, as it can be the only way you can choose between people.

Interesting what Charlie says. I've found the older you get, the less cr*p you are willing to take at work. So they ship in a load of graduates who are too daft to say no for their own good...just as I was!

<_<

I see a difference when I speak to people in their early 20s - they are of the opinion that it is ok to work 100+ hrs per week (bear in mind none of them have ever actually worked a proper full time job). They have no concept of the fact that they will have no time for anything other than work....I really don't understand where the attitude comes from, other than macho posturing.

Needless to say that if they ever have to work 100 hrs a week for a prolonged period of time, they will almost all change their mind sharpish.

As many of you will be aware, age discrimination legislation is due to come into effect next year in the UK. Personally i am in favour of a level playing field in all areas of life, but from a purely analytical view is this going to strengthen the hand of the older generations vs. the new?

In addition to holding most of the country's assets and houses, will this now enable them to increase their position in the employment market (looking at it from a macro level), thereby weakening further the position of the young who are currently locked out of the housing market?

Are we set to be a generation of drones, existing only to service the needs of an older generation? Perhaps we can expect to take their senior jobs when we reach 55 or 60 rather than 35 or 40, thereby forcing us to subsist on the lower rungs of the employment ladder, paying them rents?

So you whinge about supporting O.G. but don't want them to work either.

Looks like its euthanasia for me then. :o

Edited by Quokka

However, as someone who has interviewed for staff, you are forced to descriminate to some extent, as it can be the only way you can choose between people.

Good point. Where does it end? Will it be a case of 1st person turning up for the interview gets the job?

Good point. Where does it end? Will it be a case of 1st person turning up for the interview gets the job?

When you get umpteem CV's, you can't even read them all, so you end up descriminating on the layout etc. So to some extent it does start with the first person.

But, what I was refering to was when you are down to your last two candidates and you have to choose one. If they are the same on paper, then you are forced to pick at personal things. If I'm in this situation I usually go with my gut feeling (I went against it once and regretted it), if the other candidate had asked me why he hadn't got the job, I don't think I would have had an answer for him.

. It's sad that all some employers see is there age.

Ive found older people to be a pain.

Cynical and set in thier ways.

I recently trialed a Lady in her fifties. She hadnt been here 2 minutes before she spouted "at my last place we used to do it like this..". She then proceeded to change a system that works very well, without asking anyone else whether they wanted the system changed!

I find older people arrive with a lot of bagage and forever lecture you on "how they used to do things".

Worst of all they are rude to customers as they tend to be a lot less patient and reverential (think battle axe Doctors receptionist).

Looks like its euthanasia for me then. :o

Maybe - I believe the legislation for that is in the pipeline as well. Is this the pension crisis solution? :o

When you get umpteem CV's, you can't even read them all, so you end up descriminating on the layout etc. So to some extent it does start with the first person.

My brother used to be on an interview panel for Hewlet-Packard (the bit that is now Agilent). They used to literally scan the cv, filter the text for about 5 words relating to direct experience in the field. Clinmbing Everest or being captain of the rugger-bugger team didn't count for doodly-squat.

When it came to the interview, it was a case of "can he/she do the job without pestering me about how to do it?" and "will he/she fit in in the office?" Job done!

Classic Viz letter: "Employers - avoid hiring unlucky people by immediately throwing half the cvs you receive straight in the bin." :lol::lol:

Looks like its euthanasia for me then.

you will offered a choice of 'destinations' as the medicine is administred into your blood stream.

some like to view digital photoalbums backed by classic music or spectacular views of nature.

either way the whole process costs £74.95 as in and takes approx 20 mins from arrival.

you will offered a choice of 'destinations' as the medicine is administred into your blood stream.

some like to view digital photoalbums backed by classic music or spectacular views of nature.

either way the whole process costs £74.95 as in and takes approx 20 mins from arrival.

Wait until Stelios moves in with EasyEuth.

Prices from £4.99 (one way only), just turn up and fight for your place in the queue. The only view you will get is of 4 orange walls before the staff clad in orange surgical scrubs put a big orange pillow over your head to see you off.