House Price Crash Forum
El_Pirata

Brain Drain From Uk Is 'worst In The World'

Britain has lost more skilled workers to the global "brain drain" than any other country, according to a report by the World Bank

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_brit...ticle322073.ece

I would hazard a guess that ridiculously high house prices have something to do with this. If it is impossible to put down roots, then upping sticks suddenly becomes very attractive.

This is not good news for long-term bulls either.

Edited by El_Pirata

Sadly not surprising. I will probably be added to the list in due course as will many of my friends.

With the deck staked in favour of the older generation it's hard to see how and why you would want your children to inherit a huge pension bills, debts or being "happy slapped" in the future.

It doesn't help that we have an exceptionally weak government, who should be sorting this out but seem determined to feather their own nests at the cost of the rest of us.

Guest Bart of Darkness

Can't say that I'm surprised, although the phrase "global 'brain drain'" seems a bit strange.

Are the Ferengi wooing our brightest and best with promises of gold press latinum and green Orion slave girls?

It doesn't help that we have an exceptionally weak government

Weak government, weak judiciary, weak police force, weak everything.

If you're not a thieving chav, benefit cheat or illegal immigrant, what is there in this country for you anymore?

I'd like to see the proportional Brain Drain figures. I'm certain they would be much, much higher in places like South Africa, Australia & NZ!

More than 1.44 million graduates have left the UK to look for more highly paid jobs in countries such as the United States, Canada and Australia.

Can anyone name a profession that pays higher in Australia or Canada than the UK?

Edited by Gtr London FTB

On a cost-adjusted basis, the pay is better in many countries

Exactly. It's not the salary, it's the salary relative to the cost of living: though given Australia's house prices, I'm not sure that you'd be much better off over there...

I'd like to see the proportional Brain Drain figures. I'm certain they would be much, much higher in places like South Africa, Australia & NZ!

Can anyone name a profession that pays higher in Australia or Canada than the UK?

Lottery Scammer.

I think you'll find much is from professions that are valued out there more than here. May I hazard a biased guess at engineering / skilled labour? Salary may be lower, but if you feel valued in your profession, then maybe that counts for more for the real professionals.

The changing room and credit generation may however find this difficult to understand.

btp

Academia? UK pay is rubbish

The UK government have promoted the interests of service industries over those of manufacturing and science. Can it be any surprise that we lose so many good people.

On a cost-adjusted basis,

the pay is better in many countries

Yes, but given higher income tax and lower salaries Australia & Canada don't fall into this category. In fact when I return to Australia I'm surprised by just how high the cost of living is - even compared with London!

I would hazard a guess that ridiculously high house prices have something to do with this. If it is impossible to put down roots, then upping sticks suddenly becomes very attractive.

I think you'll find that the English language has a lot more to do with it than house prices. If you live in France, and you want to emigrate to somewhere they speak your language, you have a choice of Belgium or Switzerland. Spain, and it's most of central and south America, but no first world countries. From Portugal, it's Brazil. Germany, basically nowhere. But if you live in the UK, you have a choice between the US, Canada, Ireland, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand.

Lottery Scammer.

I think you'll find much is from professions that are valued out there more than here. May I hazard a biased guess at engineering / skilled labour? Salary may be lower, but if you feel valued in your profession, then maybe that counts for more for the real professionals.

The changing room and credit generation may however find this difficult to understand.

btp

Shock, horror, maybe in other places it is possible to do something creative and constructive that does not involve a pile of bricks and a tin of mag that also pays enough to afford to have a lifestyle and pay for a pension.

Look at the stats, it reveals all about the declining finances of one generation in particular.

Yes, but given higher income tax and lower salaries Australia & Canada don't fall into this category

On the other hand, my girlfriend in Canada nominally earns half as much as I do but has a significantly higher standard of living, and I could buy a three-bed house with a hundred acres of land near her for cash.

On the third hand, if you want to buy a house in the middle of a big city, odds are you would be paying close to UK prices.

Academia? UK pay is rubbish

Academic pay in Australia is also pants.

Medics and nurses get a better deal... although the recent big pay rises over here (which are eating into all the increased funding provided and is causing hiring freezes... and therefore complaints about having to work harder...) may have erased that difference.

On a cost-adjusted basis,

the pay is better in many countries

It is definately not in NZ or OZ. I have far greater spending power here, despite the property prices and taxes. That is why I emigrated to the UK. I think Canada is slightly better than the UK, but not by much.

On the third hand, if you want to buy a house in the middle of a big city, odds are you would be paying close to UK prices.

This is a key point. I'm very much a big city person and as such London tops the quality of life stakes. For people wanting a rural life with a big house and a big plot of land I understand why the UK would not be for them and why a country such as Canada would be attractive.

I'm one of the 'drained brains' :-D

I came out to Malaysia about 2 years ago. House prices were the main reason for my move, I'm 33 and really would have needed to settle down in the UK and "buy a house" I didn't think it was a good time to buy (and didn't fancy just renting) so decided to come out here for a few years instead. I also fancied a few years in the sun, and thought I'd regret it later in life if i didn't do it.

I'm an academic (cancer research scientist), in the UK I would be one of many, but out here I'm probably the national expert :P (Good tip for you, if you want to progress in your career, but are naturally lazy and unambitious like me - just move to somewhere where the goalposts are lowered!). Out here I do a lot of teaching and get asked to talk at all sorts of national events. Again - back home I would be a nobody comapared to all the other cancer scientists.

I get paid realtively little in UK sterling equivalent (600 quid per month!). But out here I live in a condo with its own pool and gym, I get all my laundry done, I have a maid to clean and I eat out every night.....so the comments about "relative salary" are correct, my standard of life is so much better than it would be back home.

I'll stay here a couple more years, and if prices in the UK have dropped by 15%-20%+ percent I'll come back....if not I'm hapy here in the sun (or maybe canada next..??!).

PS I'm writing this by the pool, taking advantage of my new wifi broadband! :D

I left UK in 1993 (oxbridge educated engineer) Have been in Asia ever since. No plans ever to return.

Surprising number of my contempories from university are expats/ emigrants too.

What a topsy-turvy world. People come to the UK from all over the world to live in squalor, cleaning toilets or offices, because what they earn in sterling is a fortune in their local currency terms.

Meanwhile, British-born people are leaving because the sterling they earn cannot buy a good quality of life in the UK.

Something is wrong here...I'm no economist but something tells me this can't last forever.

What a topsy-turvy world. People come to the UK from all over the world to live in squalor, cleaning toilets or offices, because what they earn in sterling is a fortune in their local currency terms.

Meanwhile, British-born people are leaving because the sterling they earn cannot buy a good quality of life in the UK.

Something is wrong here...I'm no economist but something tells me this can't last forever.

But then after a while those who come to work in squalour and earn £'s eventually leave and go back and take their money with them.

I think you'll find that the English language has a lot more to do with it than house prices. If you live in France, and you want to emigrate to somewhere they speak your language, you have a choice of Belgium or Switzerland. Spain, and it's most of central and south America, but no first world countries. From Portugal, it's Brazil. Germany, basically nowhere. But if you live in the UK, you have a choice between the US, Canada, Ireland, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand.

Sorry, but what a load of rubbish!

Most educated people from France, Germany/ Portugal etc. will have learned English at an early age and will be at an advantage to the British who don't bother to learn another language.

Your point is further undermined by the number of retirees moving to Spain - not speaking the language doesn't seem to put them off.

A mixture of high living costs and poor wages is a major factor in professionals moving abroad. I personally know many educated people who have emigrated. Most of them scientists. There really is no point in being an academic in this country if you want to be valued. High house prices are just an added insult.

Australia has one of the worst reputations for hoovering up graduates from around the world, particularly from third world countries that can't afford to lose them. What it loses to the UK (temporarily for the bright lights & squalor of London) or the US it more than gains from places like India

If you havent got a good tertiary education or money, you can forget about getting in.

Britain has lost more skilled workers to the global "brain drain" than any other country, according to a report by the World Bank

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_brit...ticle322073.ece

This is not good news for long-term bulls either.

I expect they are quaking in their boots and queuing up at the EA to sell as a result of this news.

Guest Guy_Montag

Sorry, but what a load of rubbish!

Most educated people from France, Germany/ Portugal etc. will have learned English at an early age and will be at an advantage to the British who don't bother to learn another language.

Your point is further undermined by the number of retirees moving to Spain - not speaking the language doesn't seem to put them off.

A mixture of high living costs and poor wages is a major factor in professionals moving abroad. I personally know many educated people who have emigrated. Most of them scientists. There really is no point in being an academic in this country if you want to be valued. High house prices are just an added insult.

It has been noted by people in my department (at Uni) that know better than me, that we get a lot of foreign academics coming here for a few years. While here they realise that, while they may be working at a university with a good repretation, they are not valued, not paid well, not provided with the facilities or space they are used to, and at every turn administration departments try to make their life as difficult as possible.

Btw. I've already left Scotland (probably the most brain-drained part of the UK), & now I'm thinking of leaving the UK for somewhere else.

Exactly. It's not the salary, it's the salary relative to the cost of living: though given Australia's house prices, I'm not sure that you'd be much better off over there...

I've just looked at this and indeed although I would be paid less in the job I've just been offered in Sydney I could afford to rent somewhere much more palatial than here in London. Don't know about buying.

If it's pure quality of life I'm afraid it's a no-brainer.

I suspect this has been the case for a long time, though, and not just connected with the current house price boom in the UK, 'Bliar', immigration or any of the other cliched whinges about the UK that HPCers tend to revel in.

I expect they are quaking in their boots and queuing up at the EA to sell as a result of this news.

You can be flippant if you want, but one of the classic long-term bull arguments that is always being trotted out is that immigration=more demand=ever higher house prices. If, as it seems, we have a process of losing medium/high-earners and gaining low-paid unskilled workers, this argument starts to look forward. I can see that slum landlords might benefit, but not the market as a whole.