House Price Crash Forum
bpw

House Investment Is Bad For You!

I find the salary survey very disappointing - an earlier survey suggested the majority here were graduates which tells me things have changed little in the UK with carpet fitting a more profitable career than being a graduate engineer. Graduates here in the US are considerably better paid and taxes are lower. For example where I work they start on close to 60k USD which is around 35K GBP. By the time they are 30 they can expect around 100kUSD or 56k GBP. That's fairly normal and ther are many earning a lot more.

Those jealous of people earning more than 80k GBP should think again since many are self employed and work very long hours with no pension benefits and fewer holidays. Despite that level of income they too can't afford housing that befits their professional status. Under UK government the market has become a ponzi scheme that supports the older wealthier crowd. The cynicism of the proposed SIPPs plans for houses is another bizzare indicator of who comes first when it comes to law-making.

Here is one question for those under 30: name one thing successive governments have done to help the finances of the young and their ability to have affordable homes. I am struggling to think of anything. You're basically trapped into paying high rents until you can raise a huge mortgage to buy someone elses grotty house who probably wants to buy one thats even more expensive. The only people benefitting are the older crowd with homes that are overvalued by their own inflated expectations - for them and the govenment its money for nothing, a get rich scheme at someone else's expense. All of the advisors here in the US tell you your house is a home and not an investment and there is a reason. When someone 'invests' in a house it doesn't leverage the development of new goods and services it is simply something you live in and is worth what the market will pay. The unfortunate truth is that the bill is being passed down the chain to people witout homes. Hardly a fair society and more worthy of the pigs in animal farm. If the new SIPPs rules are bought into practice you should all be tearing down the walls of Paliament because of the injustice. What we need is fiscal management and not a 'greed is good' culture under Labor. Still apart from anything it shows the fat controllers true colours.

Here is one question for those under 30: name one thing successive governments have done to help the finances of the young and their ability to have affordable homes.

Minimum wage, family tax credits, low interest rates, big increase in employment, etc., etc.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Minimum wage, family tax credits, low interest rates, big increase in employment, etc., etc.

Good Evening Gordon. <_<

How the hell does minimum wage help someone onto the ladder???

Family tax credits? More and more <30 somethings aren't having families!!

What about <30 somethings with no family? Low interest rates? Yeah bump houses

up and make any increases on a mortgage a nightmare!!

Family tax credits? More and more <30 somethings aren't having families!!

What about <30 somethings with no family? Low interest rates? Yeah bump houses

up and make any increases on a mortgage a nightmare!!

Hey, 4.50 an hour, and relieved of the burden of children by their unaffordability. Lifes lookin' good... whatcha whinging bout?

If you're getting £5 per hour, you can afford better housing than if you're getting £4 per hour. I don't see how this can possibly be controversial.

Low interest rates? Yeah bump houses up and make any increases on a mortgage a nightmare!!

Pushing up house prices encourages more of them to be built, thus allowing more people to be better housed. Any policy that pushes up prices more than it pushes up the level of mortgage repayments is thus a good thing in terms of getting more houses built and more people housed.

Edited by zorn

But but! We did 'minimum wage' at school and Sir said that it might mean employers can't afford so many workers so some end up without any job at all.

:unsure:

If you're getting £5 per hour, you can afford better housing than if you're getting £4 per hour. I don't see how this can possibly be controversial.

Pushing up house prices encourages more of them to be built, thus allowing more people to be better housed. Any policy that pushes up prices more than it pushes up the level of mortgage repayments is thus a good thing in terms of getting more houses built and more people housed.

Total nonsense.

The houses being built by developers cashing in on HPI are, in the main, poor quality and of inadequate size.

The whole concept of land rationing, encouraged by the "Green Belt" and the farce of "Brownfield" development , leading to high density buillding, will leave a legacy of many problems.

Any sane Government would have the minimum wage at least £8 an hour.

Then properly enforce it.

Please.. low interest rates mean cheepr borrowing.. but prices always rise with low interest rates..

High interest rates mean we can save...

and perhaps pensions wouldn't be failing..

Tax credits help only those with families..

Personally.. if your going to have a kid.. do so when you can afford to do so.. not with my help..

Employment increase..

Not in the private sector.. thats dropped..

hidden by new jobs in the public sector.. which if we needed we can't afford..

WHAT? What drugs are you on mate? Because I want some. So if someone gets a payrise to 5 quid all of a sudden they are in a position to trade up? I want to live in your bubble. I should be living in an 8 bedroom house. Reality check, Britain, Planet Earth.

The people that are taking 4.50 an hour are the Eastern Europeans, and they are all squatting. Yeah thats right. NO Housing Costs. Maybe if they got an extra 50p they could trade up to a bigger squat.

And what is this "encouraging more of them to be built" rubbish? Those poor petal builders can build just as effectively on a 40% profit as a 140% profit. You think they are going to down tools if they only make a decent profit? And the houses they build for those ridiculous mark ups are, if you have been reading the press lately structually less stable than the dirtiest oldest stock . Cheap, flimsy fast buck fred (not you RFD!) building methods. NOT BETTER just CHEAPER AND TACKIER. And as for this "pushing up prices more than mortgage payments" bizarre twist, you are just pandering to the corporate fast buck fred mates of new labour. Go back to your think tank and think again. AGAWOGA (or however you spell it. It my first time!)

And heres me telling myself I was not going to take any posts personally. This is an insult my intelligence!

PS: I voted labour because the Tories weren't doing enough to turn us all into serfs.

Edited by Elizabeth

But but! We did 'minimum wage' at school and Sir said that it might mean employers can't afford so many workers so some end up without any job at all.

my god!!...a teacher with some idea of business studies!...that's a first!

what gets me is,if all these business studies teachers are so good at business studies,why have they not f***ed off to get a better paid job?

I am quite happy to put up with crap as long as I'm paid well for it....teachers moan about having a tough job with crap wages.....so why do it?

In fact, there's no evidence of the minimum wage having any significant effect on employment. See the research here: http://www.lowpay.gov.uk/

Please all go easy on Zorn, he is possibly delusional and may well go and tell his employer that he wants to be paid the minimum wage. Think about it. You get a job paying the minimum wage and have a mortgage. So, to make ends meet you work 60 hours a week, thats 300GBP pw/, or around 12,000pa. Bingo all your problems are solved, you are in the money and life is good. At 6 times your wage you can get a mortgage of 72k which will buy you a garage in Peckham.

Thank goodness for New Labour.

If I have sounded political then note I don't intend it. The fact is, the mess we are in was created by this particular government who rode the wave of sound fiscal management under a Grey Man called John. I suspect history will judge that Major and Lawson's policies were the basis for the sound economy and that this government have overstretched themselves with retoric, and promises of something for nothing. The irony is that Labour's policies are remarkably similar to those here in the republican US where personal debt and fiscal deficit are being used to support growth. Look closely at Europe and you will see that despite the heculean task of integrating 22 countries into a common constitution there is relatively low debt and some of the highest standards of living in the world (Based on averages). The 'rule britania' Brit chavs should read The European Dream by Jeremy Rifkin, it's a stunning analysis of all that is going wrong in the UK and the superior position being taken by 'network europe'.

For 4.50 an hour your better off not doing anything. At least then you can get housing benefit. Between that and the 50 odd quid for income support you would probably clear more.

For a 40 hour week you'd clear around 7,920. Over 16 hours working, no HB. Minimum costs:

Rent (lowest private). 5,200

Transport. (Zone 3 London - you don't live in Zone 2 on that pay, and calculated on the assumption that you can afford a month off which is unlikely) 1,056

Total: 6,256.

That leaves 31.92 a week left for utility bills, food and other non essentials!

Sounds like an "astro turff" (new labour fake grass roots) post to me

I posted on this phenomanonanon last week

we're being watching by the oily new labour machine (prescot?)

what gets me is,if all these business studies teachers are so good at business studies,why have they not f***ed off to get a better paid job?

I am quite happy to put up with crap as long as I'm paid well for it....teachers moan about having a tough job with crap wages.....so why do it?

Perhaps they think there's more to a job than just the money?

I've known quite a few teachers in my life. Years ago they did complain about doing a tough job for crap pay, but these days they just moan about doing a crap job... like everyone else.

I haven't heard much moaning about wages from teachers, but I've heard plenty of moaning on here.

It's quite difficult to move out of teaching into another career without making quite heavy sacrifices. It's quite a commitment to become a teacher.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Zorn,

Your cover is blown and you are just making matters worse. Give it up and report to my office for reassignment ASAP!

Alistair.

Not the brightest are you Alistair, you could have sent him a PM, now we all know. :D

How the boss took you back I will never know. :blink:

Here is one question for those under 30: name one thing successive governments have done to help the finances of the young and their ability to have affordable homes. I am struggling to think of anything. You're basically trapped into paying high rents until you can raise a huge mortgage to buy someone elses grotty house who probably wants to buy one thats even more expensive. The only people benefitting are the older crowd with homes that are overvalued by their own inflated expectations - for them and the govenment its money for nothing, a get rich scheme at someone else's expense.

One thing the under 30's need to do, is get more involved with politics and VOTE

I am not suggesting you spend all your time in this boring pursuit, but to spend a few hours a month, checking out the local politicians, forming an opinion, gaining some conviction and writing to your local MP is a start

In the last election, all the main parties blatantly ignored younger voters and although it’s a bit of a Mexican standoff – they don’t give a f**k about you, so why should you give a f**k about them, there is one big difference

They probably earn a lot more than you do and their future is much more secure

I am certainly not the best example, because I am middle aged and have never voted (don’t trust any of the b*stards), but I am fortunate to be in the 80K plus bracket, I have my own business and spend half of m time out of the UK

The state of modern Britain annoys me a bit and certainly Blair and Brown are beyond belief, but my situation allows me to be more relaxed and I am only really upset for other people that I see getting a raw deal

If you are one of those people, you need to engage a bit more in politics, if not don’t whinge, because the older generation haven’t taken it from you

You have given it to them on a plate

One thing the under 30's need to do, is get more involved with politics and VOTE

In the last election, all the main parties blatantly ignored younger voters and although it’s a bit of a Mexican standoff – they don’t give a f**k about you, so why should you give a f**k about them, there is one big difference

Thanks. We both earn a lot more than people posting here but share the same frustration. I find the current climate in the UK stiffling and like you spend most of the time working overseas. Trips home increasingly make me see the inequity of the institution-driven politics of the UK. The real shame is that both the labor and conservative party are ridden with the same self interests. Younger people need to find a voice and be more aggresive. I think the problem has reached the stage we were at with the poll tax which sealed Iron Maggies fate. The sad thing is the 20 and 30 somethings are not reacting in a way that is proportionate to the inequities.

Thanks. We both earn a lot more than people posting here but share the same frustration. I find the current climate in the UK stiffling and like you spend most of the time working overseas. Trips home increasingly make me see the inequity of the institution-driven politics of the UK. The real shame is that both the labor and conservative party are ridden with the same self interests. Younger people need to find a voice and be more aggresive. I think the problem has reached the stage we were at with the poll tax which sealed Iron Maggies fate. The sad thing is the 20 and 30 somethings are not reacting in a way that is proportionate to the inequities.

So what do you suggest they do?

Voting makes no difference, there is no tangible difference between any of the parties.

They call it voter apathy, I think only 35% of britain voted labour in hardly a majority.

The reason I dont vote is I dont like any of them.

All the older generations just vote for who they have allways voted for.

And the formation of the Eu mp's has just made people look at politics of another way of 'jobs for the boys' taking even more tax money off us for no aparent gain to us.

So what do you suggest they do?

Voting makes no difference, there is no tangible difference between any of the parties.

They call it voter apathy, I think only 35% of britain voted labour in hardly a majority.

The reason I dont vote is I dont like any of them.

All the older generations just vote for who they have allways voted for.

And the formation of the Eu mp's has just made people look at politics of another way of 'jobs for the boys' taking even more tax money off us for no aparent gain to us.

Vote! (or at least threaten to vote)

If, in the last election, the main parties thought there were several million votes at stake, by younger voters that were directly related to our ludicrus property prices they may have adapted different policies???

If only 35% voted - the majority can make a diference longer term, especially when the majority of the majority are young people

The problem with voting is first past the post. I mean WHAT IS THE POINT? My vote gets disallowed on the first round - either that or I vote "strategically". Now don't get me wrong but I just don't want to be a foot soldier in anyone elses strategy.

When I was an Ozzie it was much fairer - optional preferential. I could vote for the people I most liked first and still know that my vote would be counted towards the people I disliked least. THAT is ballot box democracy.