House Price Crash Forum

Is This Our First Power Cut?

Guest growl

HOLA441

Just been on BBC News South. A power cut around Chichester at around 3pm. It effected households business and even traffic lights, and the power came back on around 6pm. Southern Electric have blamed it on a faulty tranformer. They will have proper answers in a few days after an investigation.

But there have been articles recently about us going back to the power cuts of the early seventies. So is was this first of the winter?

HOLA442
HOLA443
Guest Charlie The Tramp

So is was this first of the winter?

No, transformers going faulty are the main reason for short term power cuts as I was once informed by a PS Manager.

May be a good idea to buy that generator now before demand goes sky high and prices go up. :)

HOLA444

Transformer breakdowns are not uncommon. When I lived in Fleet, my part of town was for ever being blacked out. The local transformer was on the edge of a wood. Various animals were of ever frying themselves and plunging was wicked humans into darkness! Used to happen two or three times a year.

HOLA445

id heard about this transformer going haywire via the red emergency phone at the control desk this afrternoon.

apparently the transformer was angered by zantia, keeper of the power bolts of putney and a challenge was issued forthwith. the southern transformer then transformed into a 22meter high robot trooper and caused chaos for over an hour, tearing up rail lines, power cables and disrupting shipping.

the japanese army had to blow it up in the end using a combination or prop and fast jet combat planes and a bazooka on the back of a willis jeep.

it was a close one.

HOLA446

I was caught up in this one, power was off from 3:13pm till about 6pm, 70 000 people were affected and Southern electric will be giving excuses today so it should be on the news later.

Everything was off, traffic lights, internet, street lights, petrol pumps etc......... it was as if fuel had run out

I thought someone said "last one to leave don't forget to turn out the lights"?

Edited by consa

HOLA447
Guest Bart of Darkness

Parts of Sheffield also hit by a power cut for 1 hour. a major wide-area-network power outage according to YEDL.

Whatever that means!

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Will we see the birth rate go up in 9 months time? :)

Don’t tell me the government is planning to boost the population by controlled power cuts – a 20 minute power cut during office hours will increase the population in the controlled areas by 5% as well as giving paid leave for two members of staff for 9 months

Economy saved!

HOLA4413

Passed some pylons toady near Brighton. Normally they are silent. Today sounded like a light aeroplane. Seriously loaded with buzzing energy.

What's up? Anyone know?

Pylons tend to buzz when the air is very wet.

Today's weather could well account for it.

HOLA4414

Don’t tell me the government is planning to boost the population by controlled power cuts – a 20 minute power cut during office hours will increase the population in the controlled areas by 5% as well as giving paid leave for two members of staff for 9 months

Economy saved!

Don't give them any ideas.. we already know nulabour read the site :ph34r:

HOLA4415

Story about wind power on local news and diff story online

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4374748.stm

Would be nice if the gov gave everyone some form of renewable energy - be it solar water systems, wind or solar electric.

:)

Although I've discovered that they don't work during pwoer cuts!

Edited by SarahBell

HOLA4416

Power cuts due to problems on the distribution network happen every day of the year, year in and year out. When the high voltage network fails, several thousands of customers can lose supply, over often widespread areas. Faults on the lower voltage network usually affect just a street, or part of a street.

The average reliability of supply to any 1 customer is over 99%;people in rural areas often have a worse security of supply, since they are usually supplied by overhead line rather than underground cable - lines are affected by weather and impact e.g wind, lightning, tree contact, squirrels and cats.

Believe me, there is absolutely nothing sinister going on at the moment - there are no cuts due to fuel shortages, just regular faults, same as always. In general, the security of supply has increased considerably since privatisation, since the electricity companies have tough targets, and are financially penalised if they fail them.

Edited by Casual Observer

HOLA4417