House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest growl

Panorama Now

Guest growl

It is, puts things in perspective, they seem like a really decent family.

Decent family? Sorry but I've got one thing to say to the mother...get rid.

When the dad gave up his job saying nine hours a day was too much. Well I worked 12 to 13 hour shifts in sweat shops in my twenties. He is an insult to hard working families. I had no sympathy for him. But a great deal for his son Kurt.

I've seen this before in person, in real life years ago. The program was about a post code lottery, about times being hard where you live. But I have lived up north durng the last recession. This was Hampshire where I live now. I have to say ...get a life..no I mean really. The dad made excuse after excuse.. and basically he was a low life loser.

I've got one more thing to say. Cut the benefits for losers like this.

Then they'll work. :angry:

Guest Bart of Darkness
When the dad gave up his job saying nine hours a day was too much.

Ah, diddums!

I think it was more the fact that he worked those hours checking cookies on a conveyor belt that he didn't like...

Decent family? Sorry but I've got one thing to say to the mother...get rid.

When the dad gave up his job saying nine hours a day was too much. Well I worked 12 to 13 hour shifts in sweat shops in my twenties. He is an insult to hard working families. I had no sympathy for him. But a great deal for his son Kurt.

I've seen this before in person, in real life years ago. The program was about a post code lottery, about times being hard where you live. But I have lived up north durng the last recession. This was Hampshire where I live now. I have to say ...get a life..no I mean really. The dad made excuse after excuse.. and basically he was a low life loser.

I've got one more thing to say. Cut the benefits for losers like this.

Then they'll work. :angry:

Then we must have been watching a different programme. The whole point of that was to show whether he worked 9 hours a night making cookies for minimum wage (or close to ) or claimed the dole they were never going to be a able to get themselves out of the very big hole they were in. The guy also seemed seriously depressed, I am not surprised he gave up work.

I am not sure whether you are telling me to get a life or the guy on the show, but if it is the latter that was the whole point of the show... he couldn't.

my job makes me depressed its complete sh1te, its boring as hell I'm a plasterer so I am literally staring at 4 walls all day long, but I still go to work.

What they need to do with benefits is knock it down a fiver every week :) that'l learn 'em

There shouldn't be a choice of working or receiving benefits, that is looney. If there are jobs advertised and you are able bodied you shouldn't get benefits.

Then we must have been watching a different programme. The whole point of that was to show whether he worked 9 hours a night making cookies for minimum wage (or close to ) or claimed the dole they were never going to be a able to get themselves out of the very big hole they were in. The guy also seemed seriously depressed, I am not surprised he gave up work.

I am not sure whether you are telling me to get a life or the guy on the show, but if it is the latter that was the whole point of the show... he couldn't.

Er, yes he could. It'c called "getting off your lazy ar*e and putting your brain in gear".

Look, I was born, and dragged up, in literally the same circiumstances as this guy; I left school with *no* qualifications. But I didn't sit around bitching all day that the world owes me a living: I realised I was the one who screwed up, so I'd have to sort myself out. Oh, and I wasn't constantly complaining whilst at the same time going out and splashing thousands of pounds on a modern motorcycle (I didn't have that sort of money anyway!)

He was bitching that he didn't get very far in job interviews. I was thinking: Get a haircut; Get a shave; Sell the motorcycle (and I know firsthand how much they cost to insure, run, etc.) and get a cheap scooter; Use the money to pay for some retraining; use some of the money you blew on drugs (and the motorcycle) to rent a nice little house/flat in a decent area, then you wouldn't have to mention the "estate" you live on at interviews... And so on, and so on.

Now, I had to do all the above - so why can't he?

This programme was more junk TV for the blind.

Nomadd

EDIT: Typos.

Edited by Nomadd

Couldn't agree more Nomadd - what a lazy good for nothing loser that guy was. Did people seriously think that he was "off" the drugs. Are you kiddin ? Did you see the reaction when the reporter just happened to mention his rather expensive motorbike - feigns indignation then head in the hands time. Ciggie in his and his wife's hands in virtually every shot. Their finances as I recall - joint net income of just over £600 per week, debts consolidated and managed by a debt company - £90 per week. Staying with mother in law in crummy council flat, share of rent can't be that much. Err usual weekly living costs - what hundred quid, lets be generous £200 quid a week. Still leaves them approximately £300 quid per week disposable income. Where did that go I wonder. As an in depth documentary with the high profile Panorama team - was a bit of a joke really.

Guy should get his haircut, have a bath, and get his **** in gear. One of lifes victims. He wants to go back to his hippy roots. Smoke pot all day, be housed be fed, walk his dogs, feed his rabbits, be at one with nature, have his inner peace man, have some decent money in his pocket, but do feck all for it. You couldn't make it up !

The thing that annoyed me about the programme was that they kept talking about a postcode 'lottery'. They kept saying things like. "They're disadvantaged because they live on the (Rowley?) estate".

No they're not. They are disadvantaged because they are poor. They live on a crappy estate because they are poor. Their child goes to a crappy school, will have to grow up amongst drugs, violence and low expectations, and will probably end up with no qualifications and only able to get crappy jobs making cookies just like his parents - because they're poor.

The thing that struck me was that unlike the programme makers, the family involved seemed to accept that their problems were about being poor, and not about a postcode.

There was lots of rhetoric from the government minister about how they were going to do more, but the family seemed resigned to their fate.

Unless we fundamentally change our economic system, there will always be poor people doing crappy jobs for low pay, capitalism relies upon them, and if we didn't have enough of them we would import them, and to some extent already do. However, shoving them all together in a big estate probably isn't very good for individuals trying to break the cycle of poverty.

Edit: I'm not saying we should fundamentally change capitalism btw, I'm just saying that we should provide opportunities for people to break the cycle of poverty if they choose.

Edited by Bear Goggles

Oh, and I wasn't constantly complaining whilst at the same time going out and splashing thousands of pounds on a modern motorcycle (I didn't have that sort of money anyway!)

Yeah, It looks like he gave up an addiction to drugs and substituted it with an addiction to consumer credit. Sad really!

But we need cookies (sort of, I know) so we need all the dull jobs too, all this education education education is b0ll0x we need taxi drivers, shop assistants and plasterers just as much as the highly educated jobs.

Someone working in a factory producing food is just as important as a brain surgeon cos he wont be surgeoning on brains if he died of starvation init :)

Ps I'm having surgeoning as a real word, I'll invent as many words as I like who put The oxford dictionary in chrge anyway?

No they're not. They are disadvantaged because they are poor. They live on a crappy estate because they are poor... and only able to get crappy jobs making cookies just like his parents - because they're poor.

Not really true is it? I grew up dirt poor, council estate, got up before I went to bed to work down the mines, yadda, yadda, yadda. Being poor doesn't ensure you end up a waster, it doesn't help, but it doesn't directly cause it.

Not really true is it? I grew up dirt poor, council estate, got up before I went to bed to work down the mines, yadda, yadda, yadda. Being poor doesn't ensure you end up a waster, it doesn't help, but it doesn't directly cause it.

True. It's chicken and egg I suppose, but it doesn't really have much to do with postcodes.

i saw this.

that hippy greaser man was a loser.

all he wanted to do deep down was go back to easy money selling heroin - which he kept claiming would make £2k a week - he would eventually go back on it being exposed to it. dragging his nice partner and children and the rest of the estate with him.

he also managed to find himself a rather expensive motorbike and leathers. no compromise here. no family car. no guts. a large loan for that bike.

a total low life.

nothing to do with the situation.

he was just a selfish tw@t.

The real idea of the program was probably to present poor people/people on benefits in a bad light. So instead of making a documentary about a family with real problems, they make one about a bloke who pleads poverty, but wastes money on shit he don't need. Then everyone can say "these qunts on benefits, all the same"....etc etc. Have to think that the program makers at panorama would be able to choose a better case study if they really wanted to.