House Price Crash Forum
flatnose

Another Nail In The Coffin...

Bang goes the Sky subscription!

"Before 5th April, couples with children needed one parent in work for at least 16 hours a week to qualify for Working Tax Credit (WTC). This weekly threshold was increased to 24 hours between both parents.

Thus, parents who cannot increase their weekly working hours by at least eight hours between them will lose all of their WTC, worth up to £3,870 a year.

Some of these families simply cannot find these extra hours, perhaps because they work in areas of high unemployment, or have childcare commitments that cannot change. As a result, some of the poorest families in Britain will have their WTC claims terminated and, therefore, will be nearly £75 a week worse off.

In total, the CPAG estimates that over 424,000 adults and 470,000 children will be affected by changes to tax credits, which is a total of nearly 900,000 Brits affected.Before 5th April, you could usually get some Child Tax Credit if your yearly income was below £41,300.

This threshold has now fallen. As a rough rule, you might not get Child Tax Credit if your yearly income is more than £26,000 and you have one child, or you have two children and your income is more than £32,200.

You could still qualify if your income is above these amounts if, for example, you pay for registered or approved childcare, have more than two children, are disabled or have a disabled child."

Link here

Gosh!

Does this mean that if you have children, you are expected to be able to pay for them?

Golly!

Does this mean that employers need to start paying a living wage and stop expecting the state to top up their employees' salaries?

Golly!

Does this mean that employers need to start paying a living wage and stop expecting the state to top up their employees' salaries?

Don't be silly, its not like part time work has exploded in the UK....

I wonder how many have been able to borrow money on the back of WTC?

Might this trigger a slight mortgage problem?

I wonder how many have been able to borrow money on the back of WTC?

Might this trigger a slight mortgage problem?

Here's hoping ;)

this money is sorely needed to prop up the banking ponzi.

Tax credits destroyed overtime.

Which in turn led to pay day loans proliferating.

Yup, in the place I used to work you couldn't get the British guys to do overtime because it screwed up their tax credits on the other hand, the Pole's, Somali's etc. couldn't get enough of it.

Yup, in the place I used to work you couldn't get the British guys to do overtime because it screwed up their tax credits on the other hand, the Pole's, Somali's etc. couldn't get enough of it.

Rubbish!

Everyone knows that the real reason is that the British workers are bone idle good-for-nothings, whereas the foreign worker are hard-working, enthusiastic and diligent.

;)

and, therefore, will be nearly £75 a week worse off.

Link here

This is the bit that gets me.

when you think that JSA is only £67.50 a week and from that all the utility bills have to be paid + food

but you get £75 for child.

Golly!

AFAIK it was never a business requirement, but the Brown's strategy to win the elections ...

also with no tax credits the prices would go down to be affordable again so businesses would be paying same with no change.

you can not expect a business to pay a bus driver in London £100k pa so he can stay with his family in Chelsea ...

the whole country would grind to a stop and just riot if they took away the tax credits. and to be honest quite right too.

was a thread about how better off people in the 70s were, and you didint need tax credits then either. just goes to show how poor we have all become.

Is it possible to get more from tax credits than you contribute in tax?

Is that a joke?

example one, single mother with two kids working p/t in supermarket min wage job

Would get child tax credits and working tax credit, tax paid would be nothing

example two, single over 25 with no kids, working full time min wage

Would get WTC of 51.84 a week, income tax paid a week would be £14.43 a week.

Is that a joke?

example one, single mother with two kids working p/t in supermarket min wage job

Would get child tax credits and working tax credit, tax paid would be nothing

example two, single over 25 with no kids, working full time min wage

Would get WTC of 51.84 a week, income tax paid a week would be £14.43 a week.

So it's just a benefit then.

..another of Gordon Brown's presents to destroy the British Economy....the man was thick.... :rolleyes:

So it's just a benefit then.

why do you think there is so many part time roles about, "hard working families" love em...

the 16 hour rule allowed them to take a nmw job for say 20 hours a week and gave them a equivelent income and lifestyle from benefits which would equate to around £30 p/h, no wonder wages are not increasing, quite simply there is no pressure.

Instead of one person having a fulltime role earning a living wage, you have two people that costs the employer less, but the state subsidises the whole farce.

1337621771[/url]' post='909044693']

why do you think there is so many part time roles about, "hard working families" love em...

the 16 hour rule allowed them to take a nmw job for say 20 hours a week and gave them a equivelent income and lifestyle from benefits which would equate to around £30 p/h, no wonder wages are not increasing, quite simply there is no pressure.

Instead of one person having a fulltime role earning a living wage, you have two people that costs the employer less, but the state subsidises the whole farce.

Or better, become a Big Issue seller and claim WTC. That seems to be the latest WTC 'scam' since your hours of work can encompass almost any number plucked out of the air.

Ah, great times on WTC. Back in the boom times of 2004 I became redundant and took a NMW full time job to tide us over while searching for better paid employment. During those several months, myself, the Mrs and our 2 children benefitted from both Working and Child tax credits. I was 40 years old at the time and had never claimed benefits apart from the Mrs getting Child Benefit. I couldn't believe how much we were receiving in benefits! I kept going over the maths on the forms because I was sure I'd made an error somewhere. We were no worse off and, on top of that, I had a tooth removed for nothing and did not even pay the prescription for the painkillers!

Then I got a 'better' paid job with around the same net pay as I was receiving on benefits but with added stress and responsibility.

You're wrong. It took 1 full-time job and split it into 3.

Bang - lower unemployment. Well done Gordon. Big tick.

Bang bang - large number of people dependent on the government (i.e. Labour) largess.

But ...

The money required for the tax credit is huuuge. Its up their with pensions + housing benefit. Thats from £0 -> billions in less than 10 years!!!!

The hidden problem is that there is almost a generation of people who failed to acquire full-time jobs that would allow some progress and let them earn more.

Instead we've ended up with a load of people who can just wipe bums or man tills for 16h/week.

Cheers Gordon you uttfer f-ing moron.

Cheers Gordon you uttfer f-ing moron.

...too true ..the clown was a manipulator ..what he forgot was ..he was cheating the people he coined as 'hard working families' who paid their taxes but were stupid enough to vote for him and any Labour Party ....the people who didn't vote for him must be wondering why we as tax payers are paying his MP's salary when he never attends Westminster but does go off on 'talk tours' to earn big bucks from people stupid enough to pay and listen to him....... :rolleyes: