House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bullish Bear

Salary Survey

It has been a while since we had a House Price Crash Salary Survey.

Just how much do you earn each year?

It would be helpful if you restrict this to salary or income from your main profession. Please ignore overtime and income from investments (unless of course your main source of income is from the investment industry).

Feel free to reply with details of what you do and how much you make (if you dare!).

Why isn't this in the off topic forum with my "do you lie about your earnings" poll?

Both are equally pointless.

Why isn't this in the off topic forum with my "do you lie about your earnings" poll?

Both are equally pointless.

I am not convinced that people are lieing about their earnings - why would they?

It is relevant because it demonstrates how ridiculous house prices are in comparison to earnings.

I am not convinced that people are lying about their earnings - why would they?

It is relevant because it demonstrates how ridiculous house prices are in comparison to earnings.

Whats the excuse of the >£80000 lot then, can't really get away with that one can they?

Nearly 30% of this forum are earning >£40000 according to the poll!!!

Great ammunition for anyone wishing to debase this sites credibility.

RICH BASTARDS!!!! :P

£24,700

:(

I would'nt get stressed about it. Half of it disapears to the govornment above 30K anyway and you stop noticing. Quite rightly so. Of my mates, the one who is best off, beutifull house in the country, a kid through uni and all the rest earns a good bit less than you. Dose not buy a lot of crap or waste much though.

Whats the excuse of the >£80000 lot then, can't really get away with that one can they?

Nearly 30% of this forum are earning >£40000 according to the poll!!!

Great ammunition for anyone wishing to debase this sites credibility.

Too true. It seems too top heavy in my mind to be believed.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Ok whos the f****r on >£80K?

The good doctors on this forum of course. <_<

I`ve just voted and I`m in the bottom earnings bracket.

Yes you guessed, I work for the local authority, specifically in a secondary school as a D&T technician.

The gross salary would be around £15 and a bit K, but as I work term time only it`s about £13 1/2K.

Not a living wage I`m sure you`ll agree but I`m fortunate in that, at present I can manage, but as for the future who knows?

I could go into a long winded description of my endless ( seemingly ) duties, and my precision engineering background but I suspect you would be bored, as the majority of posters on here seem to be investors, gamblers, speculators, IT button tappers, landlords, or ( sadly ) estate agents.

I`m not saying there aren`t some clever blokes on here, take Dr. Bubb, I haven`t a clue what he`s talking about half the time , but you gotta love him!

But it always brings a smile to my face when people talk about wages being in the mid to high £20 k`s, I just wonder what planet they are on.

Maybe we need a thread entitled " How do you justify you existence".

I wouldn`t mind contributing

Limpet

If I was a VI journalist I'd be loving this one!!!

Why?

40k x 3.5 is only 140k... that won't even buy you a crap-hole around here.

If we can't afford to buy anywhere decent on a reasonable mortgage, what chance does a low-paid worker have?

If you have voted, click here.

It's now over 40% earning >£40k!!!!

Poor sods.

If I was a VI journalist I'd be loving this one!!!

I would of hazarded a guess before this poll that the 'average'person on HPC is on an 'above average salary'

Doesn't take much too work out

For those of you at the lower end, you're probably a bit younger, so give it time

For those of you that are older, but not on high salaries - remember that money is not everything

Mark, clv & 88, all good points.

However, I think the poll has limited value.

What forum members earn, regardless of the self appointed "above average" status, IMO is nothing more than voyeurism and largely irrelevant in the context of the bigger picture (average wage (£25k) vs average HP(£160k).

I'll leave it at that.

...largely irrelevant in the context of the bigger picture (average wage (£25k) vs average HP(£160k).

I've never though that statistic is very valuable. What does it mean? There are plenty of people earning way less than the average wage but owning and living in housing much more than the average price (older people mainly). Average price doesn't mean anything to first time buyers since first time buyers don't (or shouldn't expect to) buy average houses. Also add the fact that average wage includes everyone working... but not everyone working even needs or wants to buy (many rent).

I would of hazarded a guess before this poll that the 'average'person on HPC is on an 'above average salary'

Doesn't take much too work out

For those of you at the lower end, you're probably a bit younger, so give it time

For those of you that are older, but not on high salaries - remember that money is not everything

Agreed. I think that many people on HPC are in a position to buy (i.e. earn >£40k) but are staying out of the market on principle. What's the point of throwing your 'hard' earned money at a bubble?

I'm one of the 'elite' bracket but I could be out of a job at any moment and I loathe it so there's some justice.

But I notice that despite the high salary it's incredibly difficult to make any financial progress against the extreme costs here in London compared to other places I have lived. How do other people do it, makes me shudder.

I`ve just voted and I`m in the bottom earnings bracket.

Yes you guessed, I work for the local authority, specifically in a secondary school as a D&T technician.

The gross salary would be around £15 and a bit K, but as I work term time only it`s about £13 1/2K.

Not a living wage I`m sure you`ll agree but I`m fortunate in that, at present I can manage, but as for the future who knows?

Wow, the right-wing cranks on here bitching about how people in the public sector are stealing the public's money must really piss you off. They really piss me off and I don't work in the public sector. Hey, right-wing cranks - read this ya bass. :)

If any of the roughly 1 in 7 who earn above £75k pa would care to contact me I'll be happy to provide my excellent financial planning service for the full cost. I will expect you to help pay my rent on my new 5 bedroomed semi, into which Mrs FP and I are moving next month - for only £350 pm above our current 3 bdrm semi. I will expect you to pay invoices on time -don't forget the VAT, if there is any. I will expect that you appreciate that I know more about financial planning than you and I will not take any of your b***sh**.

I will expect not to be taken for a salesman - I am a planner. If I try to sell you something / advise you, you will listen carefully and sign where I point. You will not ask what does it do and how will it help me. You will assume I have your interests at heart and you will accept everything I tell you. You will make loads of money because of me and I will stop you doing stupid things like mortgaging to the hilt when HPs are already way beyond reason. You will not place all your eggs in one basket and you will take a sound active asset allocation approach ie buy low and sell high.

You will use many tax reliefs and allowances and we will all live happily and comfortably to retirement and beyond.

All together now to the sound of The Everly Brothers - dreeeeeam, dream, dream dreeeam.

:)

Edited by Financial Planner

My question is...

Why is there 29 people earning £75,000+ on a website named "HousePriceCrash"...? :huh:

Edited by pod

I wish people wouldn't critise those who earn more than them, so we've got a lot earning 80K plus, well done I say! And I'm not supprised they haven't bought a house, I doubt they are stupid enough to throw their money down the drain.

And before you ask, I earn less than £40K.