Bagehot

E-mail New Lab And Gordon Protesting About Sipps

email: info@new.labour.org.uk

The Labour Party, 16 Old Queen Street, London SW1H 9HP

Gordon @ HM Treasury

ministers@hm-treasury.gsi.gov.uk

Write to your MP

www.theyworkforyou.com

If we all send one e-mail/letter and circulate to our friends we could cause a stir.

yes spread em. pass this on to your non property owning types. say you will actively campaign agains the lab party if this goes through. say you are not into party politics, but if this goes through New Lab is your enemy and you will fight back

Write a letter to your MP as well, that often has more affect as they have to answer them. I wrote to mine a few weeks ago and got a reply saying that it had been forwarded to Stephen Timms, a treasury minister. This is a draft of the letter I wrote:

Dear Celia Barlow,

I am writing in vehement opposition to the new changes to SIPPS, whereby the chancellor will allow second properties to be included in Pension plans and for the purchasers to obtain upto 40% tax relief on such purchases.

Considering the current ludicrous prices in the Brighton and Hove area where someone like myself, a Ph.D. qualified professional earning k40, is struggling to afford a two bed flat, the thought that the government is about to subsidise the purchase of properties by the super rich so that these properties become even more out of the reach of ordinary people, is unbelievably repugnant. They make some of Mrs Thatchers tax policies look Chartist in comparison.

I will never vote labour again if this policy goes through. It is disgusting.

Yours sincerely,

To find out who your MP is go to http://www.locata.co.uk/commons/. Then send the letter to this address:

House of Commons

London

SW1A 0AA

Im not being negative but i think you should save yourself some time and effort and not bother. You will make f*ck all difference.

EMails arnt worth a damn, your local MP probably gets 10's if not 100's a day ranging from 'Save the whales', 'The street light comes through my window', 'dingos ate my baby and its labours fault' , 'I dont like SIPPS' 'We need a UFO watchgroup -they're everywhere'.

A handwritten letter adds a little more weight but i bet they still go unopened onto the fire. I would imagine the MP just grabs one out of the pile and reads it. Surely you dont think that your local MP's actually give a damn about you personally? They dont, they are there to serve there own egos, if by helping you they can make themselves look good then they will - not because they care about you but because they are self serving.

Of course if you want to 'do your bit', if it helps you sleep better at night by sending them mail then by all means do so, i just wouldnt expect to much.

You may get a personal response, which no doubt will be a copy and past from a government issued answer list. On the off chance you get a MP that gives a sh*t , do you really think that they can make a blind bit of difference... "oi presscott / brown, 10 of my constituants dont like SIPPS, what you going to do about it, they are threatening not to vote you know".

Good luck to you all but even 100 nuts of a website aint gonna stop SIPPS, SIPPs will hang itself, its just not worthwhile, it will be the equivilant of knats p*ss in a pond.

Im done :)

Chuz, that really is a pathetic post. MPs have secretaries who filter out all the crap. They do listen precisely because they want to get relected. Better not do anything about anything then?

Edited by Matt

Chuz, that really is a pathetic post. MPs have secretaries who filter out all the crap. They do listen precisely because they want to get relected. Better not do anything about anything then?

Where SIPPS are concerned thats exactly what im saying - better to not do anything.

Look, lets say that we all lived in the same constituency, so lets take all the active people on this thread .. all 5 of us, lets tripple it for a laugh, thats 15 people who email thier MP about SIPPS ... whoopie do. Might as well save yourself the bother. Lets take it to london and all 15 of us protest about it .. whoppie do. The reason why people send letters of this sort to thier MP's is because they feel hopeless. Hopeless - they are without hope, they look to a MP to restore thier hope and in this case is like saying "please tell me it wont get harder for me to buy a house".

They have secretaries to filter out the crap? I say define crap, the ramblings of someone who cannot afford to buy a home and is shouting about something that will make little/no difference... One mans concern is another mans crap.

I wish people would just stop and do thier own research into SIPPS.