House Price Crash Forum

Just Been Given Notice To Vacate . . Less Than A Year Since We Moved In And We Have Just Had A Baby

lovepigeon

HOLA441

I think you're making a conspiracy where there isn't one.

The reason that it wont happen is because the Tory party genuinely believe that a market (in this case, residential lettings) should be left to find its own norms without political tinkering and their particular political dogma does not lead them to introduce rules to protect the "little people" from those norms (unless there are lots of votes in it, which there isn't)

tim

And what did Labour do about tenants' rights during all those years they were in power? I must have missed the great philanthropic strides they made in this department.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

And what did Labour do about tenants' rights during all those years they were in power? I must have missed the great philanthropic strides they made in this department.

Ah but that was all thatchers fault, Labour did nothing wrong it was all those horrible people in power before them! etc etc etc.. standard trotted out lines would continue here

HOLA443

Deposit protection.

Firming up of HMO regs.

And the register of LLs that the Tories scrapped as soon as they got in.

tim

HOLA444
HOLA445

Lovepigeon, please don't give into the LL and her bullying mother. Strike a blow for all tenants and stay put until the notice ends. All the best in your new home. :)

Given that the issue of politics has been raised...

As per the formation of the Labour party in 1900 to represent the interests of the working classes* , I wonder if there is scope for a new political party that represents the interests of all types of tenants? :unsure:

* albeit to a lesser extent between 1997 and 2010 - the New LIEbour years.

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA446

Update:

We found somewhere to move to - not ideal location but new landlord seems much nicer and more trustworthy and after being messed around this is important to us.

We organised to move out at the end of the two months as required legally.

Last week I have had the EA from the place we are moving out from ringing to ask when we will be moving out, I reply we are moving out at the end of the two months. She says the landlord wants us to move out earlier than this (preferably a week or two earlier) as she is starting a new job contract.

EA has since rung me back about 4 or 5 times saying that she has had the mother of the landlord screaming down the phone to her that we must be out earlier etc. and basically putting pressure on us to move out earlier.

Now me and my husband don't see why we should be doing the LL any favours after the way they have treated us - for example if they had given us an extra month or two notice we would have been more likely to find a suitable property in the area we wanted. I am shocked that the mother of the landlord is being so aggressive on the issue as we are not doing anything wrong.

EA rings again and says LL's mother has been threatening to ring me or come over to the property but EA has been trying to discourage her for my sake since she has been so aggressive towards the EA.

I must say the EA has been nice to me throughout this and it is clear that she is being harassed by this woman.

Since she is so insistent that we must be out earlier I propose a solution - we could move out a week earlier provided they guarantee to give us our full deposit back since I won't have time to do the few touch ups I was planning (paint over a few areas and a bit of weeding, nothing major). You would think LL's mother would jump at this opportunity and be happy that we have found a solution but no. She then starts threatening even more that she will come over to see what state the property is in.

I then have a lady from the company who did the inventory and who will be checking the property when we move out ringing me to warn me about the woman turning up saying I should not open the door to her as she has no right to enter.

So far I have heard nothing more but I am demanding we get a signed agreement of full deposit back if we are to move out early as I do not trust these people.

I managed to find out a bit more about the LL from the EA. She is a junior doctor who was at medical school here and was not expecting to return but now has a contract starting here. I'm guessing the parents bought the house for their daughter so she would not have to pay rent whilst she was a student and they seem to have a very entitled attitude. I'm also shocked that the LL is letting or asking her mother to do this - I would be ashamed if I were here! Why couldn't she have asked us directly in a nice way and maybe offered some incentive to us to move earlier rather than straight away resorting to mother shouting at EA?

I think the mother is crazy. I would be very careful about your deposit, make sure you get it in cash before you move out.

• 1 month later...
HOLA447

LL is now trying to keep most of our deposit (I know I was stupid to leave without the cash but we had a letter from LL saying she would ignore few things we did not have time to fix and I was very stressed from moving house. Of course LL's letter phrased carefully so she can still do what she wants).

I have not got letter from her yet but after pestering the old EAs I managed to find out the following:

She wants to keep £350 for the garden and £150 for damp on a wall.

Has anyone been through a tenancy deposit dispute and know how likely we are to be able to keep our deposit or at least more of it?

I have only just found this out (and not even properly as nothing in writing and had to convince EA to tell me) nearly 2 months after we moved out and have been ringing them for the last few weeks to ask what had happened with our deposit. Will this count in our favor given that I though deposit scheme meant they should have let us know much sooner?

The garden was basically just weeds when we moved in - not even any proper grass area and there was bindweed up the drains and around the edges of the garden. Until we were given notice we were spending large parts of every weekend gardening and managed to get at least some of it looking nice. The last month or so because of moving house did not have time to do much gardening and the bindweed grew like crazy. The garden did look worse when we moved out then we we moved in but there was obviously a pre existing bindweed problem and the garden was never in a state where it could just be maintained.

Thank you for any advice.

HOLA448

LL is now trying to keep most of our deposit (I know I was stupid to leave without the cash but we had a letter from LL saying she would ignore few things we did not have time to fix and I was very stressed from moving house. Of course LL's letter phrased carefully so she can still do what she wants).

I have not got letter from her yet but after pestering the old EAs I managed to find out the following:

Has anyone been through a tenancy deposit dispute and know how likely we are to be able to keep our deposit or at least more of it?

I have only just found this out (and not even properly as nothing in writing and had to convince EA to tell me) nearly 2 months after we moved out and have been ringing them for the last few weeks to ask what had happened with our deposit. Will this count in our favor given that I though deposit scheme meant they should have let us know much sooner?

The garden was basically just weeds when we moved in - not even any proper grass area and there was bindweed up the drains and around the edges of the garden. Until we were given notice we were spending large parts of every weekend gardening and managed to get at least some of it looking nice. The last month or so because of moving house did not have time to do much gardening and the bindweed grew like crazy. The garden did look worse when we moved out then we we moved in but there was obviously a pre existing bindweed problem and the garden was never in a state where it could just be maintained.

Don't give in to this bullying. Do not agree to the deductions.

I think your LL may be well outside the agreed timescale for a refund, so that will doubtless be in your favour.

How have the proposed figures been arrived at?

Doubtless more knowledgeable people will post, but I would have thought you ought not to settle for this sort of behaviour- the woman is obviously a loon.

HOLA449

Are there check out and check in inventories? If so, how detailed are they? Do they cover the area that a complaint has been raised over?

Having read a few cases on deposit disputes, there appears to be a tendency to side with the tenant if there is little documentary evidence to support a LLs claim.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

...blah blah.....

I'd like some advice too: some guy came up to me in the street and asked for £500. I don't think i should give it to him but he insists. What should i do? Should i give him the money?

I hear there is a process where you don't have to give people money in the street. Shall i file a "i don't want to give money to random people in the street" motion?

HOLA4412

I'd like some advice too: some guy came up to me in the street and asked for £500. I don't think i should give it to him but he insists. What should i do? Should i give him the money?

I hear there is a process where you don't have to give people money in the street. Shall i file a "i don't want to give money to random people in the street" motion?

:lol:

HOLA4413

was his name Osborne? did he look really really worried?

HOLA4414

Your landlord does not have a leg to stand on in this argument,,,I would fight it all the way !!!take them on and this time keep the people who took the time to reply to your first post upto date on the result you achieve,,,all the best

Maybe this is wrong or too cruel. But couldn't the OP threaten to report her to GMC for her behaviour. Or is it not bad enough to do this.

HOLA4415

Your landlord does not have a leg to stand on in this argument,,,I would fight it all the way !!!take them on and this time keep the people who took the time to reply to your first post upto date on the result you achieve,,,all the best

Maybe this is wrong or too cruel. But couldn't the OP threaten to report her to GMC for her behaviour. Or is it not bad enough to do this.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4416

Well, the LL hasn't actually done anything illegal or dishonest. They haven't harassed the OP directly (preferring to leave it up to the agent), and they've been rather aggressive in their negotiations, but legally they've done nothing wrong. The mother sounds like she has been more of a problem, but that's nothing to do with the GMC. Similarly, they may have provided a rather poor service, but that's not illegal.

Similarly, the LL has asked to retain part of the deposit, but you still have to agree - so all you are doing is negotiatiating. If you can't agree, then there is a deposit protection service that will mediate.

Unless you have documentary proof of dishonesty or illegal behaviour which you have reported to the police, the GMC won't be in the least bit interested.