House Price Crash Forum

Banned From Estate Agent

HOLA441
HOLA442

Seller had house on market for £650K - decided not to sell in the end and pulled out. Seller phones estate agent to advise them and gets told not TO APPROACH THEM FOR A HOUSE SALE EVER AGAIN!! Me thinks they're just a tinsy bit upset at losing their £12K commission!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Made my day...

Media story or anecdotal? Whats the source?

Wonder how much it had cost EA in advertising revenue!

Edited by OLDFTB

HOLA443
HOLA444

Anecdotal. I've met the seller too. Nice old lady, she pulled out of the sale due to the unreasonable behaviour of the buyer (to put it mildly and it wasn't to do with the pricing etc.) he managed to upset the solicitors too. I know it sounds odd, but it's true. No point in being rude and nasty you're only going to upset people and NOT GET YOUR OWN WAY.

HOLA445

Seller had house on market for £650K - decided not to sell in the end and pulled out. Seller phones estate agent to advise them and gets told not TO APPROACH THEM FOR A HOUSE SALE EVER AGAIN!! Me thinks they're just a tinsy bit upset at losing their £12K commission!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Made my day...

And quite rightly so, whatever we think of EA's they would have spent money and time marketing the place.

HOLA446

Anecdotal. I've met the seller too. Nice old lady, she pulled out of the sale due to the unreasonable behaviour of the buyer (to put it mildly and it wasn't to do with the pricing etc.) he managed to upset the solicitors too. I know it sounds odd, but it's true. No point in being rude and nasty you're only going to upset people and NOT GET YOUR OWN WAY.

If that's the case then a very stiff letter to the EA's supervisor appears to be in order.

Is this a sign that the pressure on EA's is so great that they are loosing the plot if a sale falls through?

HOLA447

And quite rightly so, whatever we think of EA's they would have spent money and time marketing the place.

I'm guessing this is just a troll.

But just in case it's not:

What is your point? That EA's should be utterly protected against people changing their minds, because they actually have to spend some money to take a huge slice of any sale? So what? Are you saying that once you've had them work their marketing magic on a house, that you are duty bound to sell it? If so, that is just ridiculous. If EA's are really worried about that, then they should charge a sum up front to start the marketing process. As far as I know, they don't. So presumably they generally feel that the number of people they'd put off by doing such a thing would outweigh the occassions when the seller withdraws.

I think EA's make enough money without taking many risks without protecting them against people changing their mind on a sale.

HOLA448

I'm guessing this is just a troll.

But just in case it's not:

What is your point? That EA's should be utterly protected against people changing their minds, because they actually have to spend some money to take a huge slice of any sale? So what? Are you saying that once you've had them work their marketing magic on a house, that you are duty bound to sell it? If so, that is just ridiculous. If EA's are really worried about that, then they should charge a sum up front to start the marketing process. As far as I know, they don't. So presumably they generally feel that the number of people they'd put off by doing such a thing would outweigh the occassions when the seller withdraws.

I think EA's make enough money without taking many risks without protecting them against people changing their mind on a sale.

Oh grow up, just because my view doesn't exactly match yours doesn't mean I'm a troll. I've been posting here for sometime now and if you would care to read some of those posts you will find that I am a genuine poster!

All I am saying is that if an agent has found a buyer and the vendor pulls out, then they are entitled to be miffed as they have done their job but will not be getting paid for it. Whether you're a fan of EA's or not you must surely sympathise. Personally, I would have charged the vendor for the marketing, rather than ban them.

In 2000, I tried to buy a flat, the vendor didn't like the agent (he was a very strange bloke) and wanted to continue the sale to me without the agent. My solicitor told me to 'run a mile' as there could be huge problems, the agent is paid to find buyers, if they find you a buyer and you accept their offer, then you are legally required to pay the agent. If the buyer is problematic, then you should discuss possiblities, deadlines, etc, before pulling out. If this lady decided one day to phone the agent and pull out, then the agent would be quite within his/her rights to demand payment.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

In EA language, "unreasonable behaviour of a buyer" ALWAYS means they lowered the offer. NO OTHER behaviour is considered unreasonable where an EA is concerned. They EXIST solely to earn the MAXIMUM commission possible and are not interested in or concerned with "behaviour". There is no moral dimension to the business of EA's. So, with that in mind, what do you mean by "unreasonable behaviour"?".

VP

HOLA4414

Anecdotal. I've met the seller too. Nice old lady, she pulled out of the sale due to the unreasonable behaviour of the buyer

Why does it not surprise me that she was a older lady. Given the nature of that business I am sure it attracts more than its fair share of bullies, and who better to bully?

HOLA4415

In EA language, "unreasonable behaviour of a buyer" ALWAYS means they lowered the offer. NO OTHER behaviour is considered unreasonable where an EA is concerned. They EXIST solely to earn the MAXIMUM commission possible and are not interested in or concerned with "behaviour". There is no moral dimension to the business of EA's. So, with that in mind, what do you mean by "unreasonable behaviour"?".

VP

I dont' want to give away too many details on the internet, but I'm pretty sure it was nothing to do with price. Basically, the man is just a very unpleasant character, and the lady wasn't desparate to sell.

Just thought it was a strange overreaction on the EA's part. Perhaps they had to cancel their Xmas Party!!! ;)

HOLA4416