House Price Crash Forum
apom

Help And Advice.

Okay, a few years ago..

in 2001

I was in a position where I was buying a house.

less then 3.5 times my salary.

offer accepted on a nice two bed house in the south east.

£97,000 (remember those days? christ.. that seemed a lot back then.)

no chain.. the guy was emigrating..

Well.. the mortgage was turned down.

a credit card had fed incorrect information to the credit reference agencies for many months saying that i owed money and refused to pay.

Niether of which were true. and after serious detective work I found that it was the bank.. I had them confirm the mistake and send a letter to me and also to the mortgage company explaining their mistakes.

They also removed the erroneous entries in the credit reference agencies databases.

this did however take several months to resolve.

However smooth this seems it all took so long and the seller pulled out.. He could get more money for the property. (massive inflation..) anyway.. that was the last two bed freehold property within commuting distance to where i worked.

So the Credit Card company essentially scuppered my life..

Still scuppered now..

They accepted resonsibility for what they did. But not for what then happened to my life..

What are my options.

I know a lot of time has passed.

But i have been quite ill from this.. and it took several years for my life to unravell to the point where a lost child (can't afford a home, can't afford to raise a family..) and the whole pointless waste of it all drove me to a breakdown..

anyway.. been betterfor a bit and I am interested in what recourse i can take.

My current plan is to stroll into one of their larger branches.. knocking out any security they have and curling one of in the middle of their floor.

that or wallpapering the outside of one of their branches with their apology letter. one evening..

My ideas would be satisfying.. however they are flawed..

I need help or suggestions..

We know the crash is here.. that much is certain..

So can I be cheeky ????

been betterfor a bit and I am interested in what recourse i can take.

Here's my advice since you ask for it:

Better to just forgive and forget, you'll be much happier that way. Just move on and think how lucky you are to be earning the kind of money you do in a world where the majority of people don't have two beans. Bitterness, unforgiveness etc have been linked to all kinds of physical as well as mental problems. Cancer and arthritis have been attributed to holding grudges. Think of your cup as half full instead of half empty.

Here's my advice since you ask for it:

Better to just forgive and forget, you'll be much happier that way. Just move on and think how lucky you are to be earning the kind of money you do in a world where the majority of people don't have two beans. Bitterness, unforgiveness etc have been linked to all kinds of physical as well as mental problems. Cancer and arthritis have been attributed to holding grudges. Think of your cup as half full instead of half empty.

+1 on that(as the septics say).

Life's too short, move on, enjoy the present and look to the future.

fair point..

It did hit me financially in a massive way though.

not even looking into the whole horror of the equity.

I had to give up on a family, leave a job and return to devon..

Which is sunny and nice. :)

on a glass half full.

but if I learnt anything from this.

Check your credit ratings.. you might have no idea what has happened.

I was called a thief by a company.. when I was not..

that sort of mud sticks..

the time alone to resolve it was many, many months of work.. ( not 9 to 5)

and I have had to check again and again..

the stress of finding this sort of mistake at the wrong time is huge.

and the effect can go on for years.

I lost everything.

Okay, a few years ago..

in 2001

a credit card had fed incorrect information to the credit reference agencies for many months saying that i owed money and refused to pay.

Niether of which were true. and after serious detective work I found that it was the bank.. I had them confirm the mistake and send a letter to me and also to the mortgage company explaining their mistakes.

They also removed the erroneous entries in the credit reference agencies databases.

However smooth this seems it all took so long and the seller pulled out.. He could get more money for the property. (massive inflation..) anyway.. that was the last two bed freehold property within commuting distance to where i worked.

Still scuppered now..

They accepted resonsibility for what they did. But not for what then happened to my life..

What are my options.

But i have been quite ill from this.. and it took several years for my life to unravell to the point where a lost child (can't afford a home, can't afford to raise a family..) and the whole pointless waste of it all drove me to a breakdown..

My current plan is to stroll into one of their larger branches.. knocking out any security they have and curling one of in the middle of their floor.

that or wallpapering the outside of one of their branches with their apology letter. one evening..

So can I be cheeky ????

What happened to you is awful but there are worst things that could and do happen to people in life. Be bigger and better than the cretins that drove you to a breakdown and let it go. They don't even deserve the time it would take you to think of an act of revenge. Try and look to the future, when hopefully you will get a nice home and don't forget to keep smiling :):)

apom, I am interested in what has triggered putting your thoughts of revenge into action.

Think of yourself as a mouse about to take on a 10ft giant. You can squeak and run around a lot, but ultimately the giant doesn't even need to squash you underfoot, a quick flick of the hand and you are sent sprawling.

Embrace your new health, and move on. :)

I suggest you get on with your life after accepting responsibility for not getting it sorted out quickly at the time.

mate.. it was a small window.

Its a challenge. your mortgage company tells you that the mortgage is declined and that it was to do with your credit rating.

Clock starts.

You contact the credit reference egencies and request all information about yourself.

two week later it turns up.

at that poing you break down the information and locate the problem.

you then contact the company in question.

and at that point you are at their mercy. it took two months to have the admition and dcumentation in my hands and at that point the mortgage is re-submitted, only this time they need complete records for ever.

that takes a few weeks to clear.

It was sorted as quickly as anyone could manage. I am confident enough in my own abilities to know that.

Unfortunate timing.

and It will be another couple of years before prices come back down.

so unfrtunate timing that had quite an impact.

No more then many have had had the debt bubble not gone crazy..

and two months after I returned to Devon I was contracting in IT as a Domain Administrator for one of the largest infrastructures in the country.

I am not a dumb man, nor am I a weak man.

Just unlucky once

I suggest you get on with your life after accepting responsibility for not getting it sorted out quickly at the time.

'Ignoring rubbish like this' is another piece of advice. TTRtroll hasn't said anything sensible since he joined this site.

You've been dealt a bad hand, it's not your fault, but rebuilding is your responsibility and putting the past behind you is the best way of doing of that. I always look at my best friend as an example of someone who didn't let bitterness eat him, this is what happened to him:

On Boxing day 1988 his brother died in a climbing accident, nine months later his father died of a heart attack and a month after that his fiancee died in a car crash. You'd think that kind of stuff would be impossible to get over, but he's one of the most positive people I have met. He has lived an amazing life since then, travelling the world, retraining and making friends everywhere he goes. He never complains about what happened to him, he never says 'what could have been', and he's always someone you want to be around. When I feel crap I think of what he went through and know that I don't really have a right to feel bad.

I appreciate why you feel as you do.

But, consider this.

How would you feel if the market had gone down just after your missed opportunity? You'd feel like that bank (or whoever was to blame) had done you a favour.

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, believe me, that is the opposite of how I feel. But, you need to 'move on' and take a 'c'est la vie' attitude to it.

Edited by Marina

Oh yeah, and he was a week away from signing a mortgage (with insurance) on a flat. It sounds sick, but had she died a week later, he would at least have had a free flat.

You deserve some lucky breaks now, go and find them.

When will you guys finally see that there life is possible without owning a property? Look around you, see other nations and their way to live happily in rented without feeling in the least inferior.

Why not have a family first and buy the property later?

I just fail to understand how people allow themselves to feel miserable just because they cannot have sth they might very well be able to afford (and at a better price) later.

Mentality?

sceptic

Its a challenge. your mortgage company tells you that the mortgage is declined and that it was to do with your credit rating.

Clock starts.

You contact the credit reference egencies and request all information about yourself.

and at that point you are at their mercy. it took two months to have the admition and dcumentation in my hands and at that point the mortgage is re-submitted, only this time they need complete records for ever.

It was sorted as quickly as anyone could manage. I am confident enough in my own abilities to know that.

Unfortunate timing.

and It will be another couple of years before prices come back down.

so unfrtunate timing that had quite an impact.

No more then many have had had the debt bubble not gone crazy..

and two months after I returned to Devon I was contracting in IT as a Domain Administrator for one of the largest infrastructures in the country.

I am not a dumb man, nor am I a weak man.

Just unlucky once

I had the same problem myself, it took a coupld of days to get a written explaination from the bank that I could show the new provider, then a short time after that it was off my credit history.

It just depends how badly you want it dealt with.

I suspect that at the time you didn't give it your all and now that prices have gone up you wish you had. Simple explaination if you scratch below the surface.

'Ignoring rubbish like this' is another piece of advice. TTRtroll hasn't said anything sensible since he joined this site.

You've been dealt a bad hand, it's not your fault, but rebuilding is your responsibility and putting the past behind you is the best way of doing of that. I always look at my best friend as an example of someone who didn't let bitterness eat him, this is what happened to him:

On Boxing day 1988 his brother died in a climbing accident, nine months later his father died of a heart attack and a month after that his fiancee died in a car crash. You'd think that kind of stuff would be impossible to get over, but he's one of the most positive people I have met. He has lived an amazing life since then, travelling the world, retraining and making friends everywhere he goes. He never complains about what happened to him, he never says 'what could have been', and he's always someone you want to be around. When I feel crap I think of what he went through and know that I don't really have a right to feel bad.

So he spent the life insurance & inheritance travelling?

What great guide to how to spend your life he is!!!!

I am lucky in life..

Well most of the time ;)

I have a great home.. a car that never breaks down (ish..) and two great motorbikes..

I have a fabulous girlfriend.. truly a great person.. beautiful to (not clinicaly insane like most of my exes...;) )

my cat seems to like me.. (and as long as he doesnt catch a migrating bird with a chesty cough and bring it to me I will love the little guy back)

I have my health..

most of my teeth

a great job..

But out there someone called me a thief ... when I wasn't..

and so far I havent had the opportunity to make them regret that..

I am moving forward.. we all do I think..

and so many have had it much worse then me..

But I don't like being done over..

It won't stop me in life..

But its on my "to do" list.

Are you on the 'pop' tonight? That's an awful accusation to make, when you don't know the full facts. I'm all for a bit of light-hearted banter as I think this site can be a bit too serious at times. However, I really think you have crossed a line with your last post.

You obviously can't read as well as think. I said he missed out on receiving life insurance by a week. You have just proven to me why we on this site must be right. If someone like you...doesn't read very well, and is incapable of reasoned thought, is "on the other side" then we must be right about the HPC.

What inheritance? I didn't say his mother died. He didn't get a bean from anyone dying. You must have been down the pub all day, you're not thinking straight.

Okay, a few years ago..

in 2001

Still scuppered now..

What are my options.

So can I be cheeky ????

you sad ****.

some people just don't what they got till they lose it.

Clock starts.

No, at that point you have your solicitor write them a letter informing them that if it's not cleared up in seven days they will be on the receiving end of a lawsuit for libel. Or you could do it yourself, but they'll take it more seriously if it comes from a solicitor. It most certainly is libel if a financial institution makes false statements about you to anyone else, including a credit reference agency.

Guest struthitsruth

hi apom

don't do the revenge thing, will you, because you'll be arrested, and then I'll miss your posts,

even though I struggle with your atrocious spelling, I like where you're coming from.

:)

you sad ****.

some people just don't what they got till they lose it.

LF - don't beat about the bush, say it straight out !

Still scuppered now..

What are my options.

After 'serious' detective work you found out it was your bank?

How many 'suspects' were there for this mistake?

I agree with TTRTR in that you should have resolved this in days not months.

Edited by Without_a_Paddle

So can I be cheeky ????

I always reckon if you want to talk back to power use a language that hurts them. Money and reputation. I don't think any one has ever run a test case for this. Definitely Libel since you will have given your permission for the passing of information but you didn't give them permission to pass on false information, but whether or not they could slime out of it. You could definitely establish material damage to your interests caused by the damage to your financial reputation (albeit temporary). I am not a lawyer so I can't give you legal advice but it might be interesting to get a human rights lawyer's opinion (maybe Cherie could take it on!).

The language of the physical damage is like a mosquito to them. Papering walls doesn't hurt because they mearly get to reaffirm their power by posing as the victims of madness. You probably get locked up for a bit. Trust me, as a seasoned grudge holder against institutions, whatever you do, don't hold your breath and don't make it the centre of your life. But it would be interesting to see what your power is here. Was it more than 7 years ago? You said 2001. That might affect it since a lot of things expire after 7 years, but still worth getting an opinion. Does anyone have a legal background who could comment on this?