House Price Crash Forum

Facebook

I think it's worth about the same as AOL.

The reason that there's all the hype, is because 55 yeard old company directors and investment bankers have no idea what it is, but they know their daughter uses it a lot, and it's always being talked about on the BBC and in the press as if everyone's using it, and they don't want to admit, they don't really understand it, so they'll just buy a few billion, they get the momey free direct from the BOE anyway.

I guess on this site we're mostly too old to be serious users, but does anyone know anyone over the age of 20 who uses it?

if that was the case twitter is worth double :lol:

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 could be broken today dependent upon how many shares the underwriters have - 67 million a few sites are saying - and which they refuse to sell below 38. Then they have to buy to prop the price... well, that is what people are saying on several financial forums.

Some sites are saying that if it could be shorted it would be 25 already. Can't be shorted for 30 days after the IPO.

Didn't know about that 30 day rule, but then i'm not involves in shares to that level anyway.

Thanks.

NASDAQ is saying something is up with their computers and people aren't sure whether they bought or not.

I'll be interested to know how this is possible and what's going on there. You send in an order, it's ack'd, then you either cancel or get a fill. They don't send "maybe" back in the confirm status.

Sounds like someone at NASDAQ is going to be getting shouted at Full Metal Jacket style.

Funny watching the clowns at bloomberg ready to go mental about this, especially the chick who never shuts up, Trish something?, then realising they had turned up at the wrong address for the party. Classic. BBC seemed to have tickers running that said Woo Hoo massive success for Farcebook, when it wasn`t actually doing that well? Are they SO desperate for good news that they just went on pretending that this was some amazing event?

Didn't know about that 30 day rule, but then i'm not involves in shares to that level anyway.

In the US, initial public offerings (IPOs) cannot be sold short for a month after they start trading. This mechanism is in place to ensure a degree of price stability during a company's initial trading period. However, some brokerages that specialize in penny stocks (referred to colloquially as bucket shops) have used the lack of short selling during this month to pump and dump thinly traded IPOs. Canada and other countries do allow selling IPOs (including U.S. IPOs) short.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_%28finance%29#Shorting_stock_in_the_U.S.

whatever happens now its certainly not been the opening they all hoped for and shouted about.

If I were Zucker I'd be happy. If I sold equity in my company at $10 and it went onto the secondary mkt and rose to $20 I'd be pretty annoyed at the banks who recommended I float at $10.

Surely holding just above the IPO price is optimal.

http://www.qfinance.com/financing-best-practice/price-discovery-in-ipos?page=1

If I were Zucker I'd be happy. If I sold equity in my company at $10 and it went onto the secondary mkt and rose to $20 I'd be pretty annoyed at the banks who recommended I float at $10.

Most people would be happy with a few hundred million cashed in and do somthing else

Presumably Zucker and others were stood by their screens ready to sell more shares as the price moved towards its hyped figures of 50 bucks, 75 bucks, 100 bucks?

Edit:

Aren't there loads of FB staff who can't sell their shares, or most of their shares, for 3 months? If so, how happy will they be in work today?

Edited by The Masked Tulip

Markets. Not every house or share has too be sold, only percentage, and thus the whole market must be worth that. Price and therefore value set at the margins.

---

Public, Joe Bloggs:

Facebook is worth $40 a share?

Wow this nondescript internet company is half as good because it gets half as much mouse clicks, therefore it is worth $20 a share! It's only trading at 0.5cents!

Buy, buy, buy!

It won't go below 38 today.

I'm curious to know why you think this.

Surely toward the midsession even the likes of Morgan Stanley will start unwinding their position?

There's no way they want to go home having bought back the entire float...

The book looked very disorderly to me in trading - very thin demand on the buy side, lots of ammunition consumed defending the $41 and $38 price levels.

I'm curious to know why you think this.

Surely toward the midsession even the likes of Morgan Stanley will start unwinding their position?

There's no way they want to go home having bought back the entire float...

The book looked very disorderly to me in trading - very thin demand on the buy side, lots of ammunition consumed defending the $41 and $38 price levels.

It just went down to 38.05 briefly.

It just went down to 38.05 briefly.

There was more size selling at $41 than buying when I lost interest, so this really doesn't surprise me.

Based purely on the trading I did see however, FB looks like a very expensive mistake (on so many levels, especially for the underwriting team).

Rumour has it they sold the company because even the founders couldn't work out the privacy settings.

There was more size selling at $41 than buying when I lost interest, so this really doesn't surprise me.

Based purely on the trading I did see however, FB looks like a very expensive mistake (on so many levels, especially for the underwriting team).

Rumour has it they sold the company because even the founders couldn't work out the privacy settings.

Apparently they keep changing the settings, privacy and 'the wall'.