House Price Crash Forum

You Tube Video Of Letting Agent And Student

HOLA441

Out of interest Docboy, is this a youtube video of a direct interaction between a letting agent and student, or a student offering a potentially slanderous opinion of a letting agent?

I would be curious to know if it is the former why it would be a legal threat if it is based upon live footage and therefore fact?

Opinions I understand being blocked.

HOLA442

It is a recorded conversation with the name of the company of letting agents clearly displayed and actions being ascribed to them. I have seen it and found it truly shocking - the swearing on the part of the alleged agent was an education alone.

However we only have the student's word that it really happened since there is no video evidence of the actual person. The property letting agent could counter claim that it was a set-up to discredit them by a disgruntled renter and then I would be in bother with Fubra for letting it on the site.

Gotcha. Thought it was a video and potentially therefore proveable. Yup could be made up like lots of utube and wokipedia stuff.

Thanks for the answer.

Any chance of the google search words or a prod in the right direction? I tried student, northern ireland, letting agent.

No luck so far.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

unbelievable! If true the agent needs to be prosecuted and probably jailed, and the business owner investigated as a fit and proper person if he is encouraging it.

A persons home is just that, a LL or agent has absolutely no right to enter a rented property except in an emergency, it effectively belongs to the renter(s) for the term of contract, bar modifications etc. Even 24hrs notice is on dodgy ground if the tenant does not want it, 'inspections' are not a valid reason AFAIK.

I'm not an expert but the following sound like criminal offences

Breaking and entering

Threatening behaviour

Invasion of privacy

Edited by Ride_on

HOLA447
HOLA448

Slightly off topic - one person in my class left his flat last week as the house was repossessed. Another one leaving at the end of May - same reason.

Different landlords.

The guy who has left had planned to keep the tenancy during the summer and for the next year. Got a letter from the court which was addressed to the

occupier, when he went to the letting agent, the agent knew nothing about it.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

You can search you tube 'What happens behind Broken Doors.'

That's the one, thanks. First search I did I ended up watching Nicky Campbell chase some bloke around about 17 CCJs.

If this agency have any brains they would sack the employee and make a good will gesture. Rent free for the rest of the AST or something. You've been caught so hold your hands up, take the hit and move on. Unless of course Mr Angry is the owner.

HOLA4412

That's the one, thanks. First search I did I ended up watching Nicky Campbell chase some bloke around about 17 CCJs.

If this agency have any brains they would sack the employee and make a good will gesture. Rent free for the rest of the AST or something. You've been caught so hold your hands up, take the hit and move on. Unless of course Mr Angry is the owner.

Sounds like a student let, so not sure if AST's are involved. Might be more of a HMO situation.

HOLA4413

This you tube has not been verified yet or criminal charges brought so be careful when commenting.

Youtube views up from 8,000 to 20,000 since yesterday. Closing in on a thousand on this (NI) site alone.

May I suggest this be moved to, or started on, the main board as it deserves a wider audience?

A simple MSE link would probably do the trick, as an earlier poster on this thread has recognised.

HOLA4414

Youtube views up from 8,000 to 20,000 since yesterday. Closing in on a thousand on this (NI) site alone.

May I suggest this be moved to, or started on, the main board as it deserves a wider audience?

A simple MSE link would probably do the trick, as an earlier poster on this thread has recognised.

or what about the google search link?

(removed by me (pp)

note - doccy; i am not trying to get fubra in hot water here but this is practically the same as saying, google 'What happens behind Broken Doors.', which is where we are at so far

edit - see main page

Edited by p.p.

HOLA4415

(removed by me (pp)

note - doccy; i am not trying to get fubra in hot water here but this is practically the same as saying, google 'What happens behind Broken Doors.', which is where we are at so far

edit - see main page

If this is true, which I think it is, it sounds too real and angry to be rehearsed. JUST MY OPINION

Can you imagine what would happen if a letting agent kicked down the door of a normal family renting a semi in Belfast and walked in on the owners sleeping in bed one morning and started threatening them and swearing at them because they didn't open the door?! Student's are somewhat lazy and young/immature at times but they don't deserve treatment like that. If they are damaging the property, which doesn't seem to be the case here then I'm sure there are legal paths to pursue this through.

Unbelievable, as a small business owner I stop short of blaming the company entirely but would be very interested to hear how the employee was dealt with and to hear the company's side of the story (rogue employee on a bad day etc). It would be very interesting to hear from their other tenants to see if this is normal practice for the company on the whole or an isolated incident.

HOLA4416

Unbelievable, as a small business owner I stop short of blaming the company entirely but would be very interested to hear how the employee was dealt with and to hear the company's side of the story (rogue employee on a bad day etc). It would be very interesting to hear from their other tenants to see if this is normal practice for the company on the whole or an isolated incident.

You cannot make an excuse for criminal activity, bad day, bad employee we need to have a civil society and rights need to be protected. If an employee stabbed someone in the course of their business, you still make the same reasoning.

The company may not be to blame, but it is their responsibility, and as you say, how they deal with it is important to avoid eventual prosecution for the directors (if true).

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

(removed by me (pp)

edit - see main page

the original video with thousands of views was taken down "due to legal issues" ( or some similar wording ) but another exists with 700+ views

HOLA4420

Media Statement: 14 May 2012

Following the events of Friday (11 May 2012) when a YouTube video alleging the unprofessional conduct of an unnamed member of our staff in an unidentified property was brought to our attention we began a formal internal investigation. Now complete, we can confirm that these allegations have been found to be true.

We have identified the staff member and property in question and moved to suspend the member of staff pending a full disciplinary hearing. We are shocked and horrified to hear a member of our staff conduct himself in such an unprofessional manner and would like take this opportunity to unreservedly apologise to those involved.

As a business we pride ourselves in the way we deal with all of our clients. We subscribe to the Property Ombudsman's professional code of conduct and expect all our staff to behave in a professional manner. However, in light of this incident we will be reviewing our staff training and development procedures with immediate effect.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxis committed to working professionally, and in partnership with its tenants and landlords, and would like to reiterate that this highly unprofessional incident is in no way representative of how the business conducts itself on a daily basis.

-ENDS-

MOD EDIT NAME REMOVED

HOLA4421

Media Statement: 14 May 2012

Following the events of Friday (11 May 2012) when a YouTube video alleging the unprofessional conduct of an unnamed member of our staff in an unidentified property was brought to our attention we began a formal internal investigation. Now complete, we can confirm that these allegations have been found to be true.

We have identified the staff member and property in question and moved to suspend the member of staff pending a full disciplinary hearing. We are shocked and horrified to hear a member of our staff conduct himself in such an unprofessional manner and would like take this opportunity to unreservedly apologise to those involved.

As a business we pride ourselves in the way we deal with all of our clients. We subscribe to the Property Ombudsman's professional code of conduct and expect all our staff to behave in a professional manner. However, in light of this incident we will be reviewing our staff training and development procedures with immediate effect.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx is committed to working professionally, and in partnership with its tenants and landlords, and would like to reiterate that this highly unprofessional incident is in no way representative of how the business conducts itself on a daily basis.

-ENDS-

Lovely so we have confirmation it was a staff member and can post a link to the video?

HOLA4422

I would think so. However if this eventually leads to a criminal case then we need to be careful here. I don't want this thread removed by a complaint to Fubra.

So could we just leave it as is just now.

Of course Doccy. Nice to see the student incolved has some sort of result so far.

HOLA4423

I would think so. However if this eventually leads to a criminal case then we need to be careful here. I don't want this thread removed by a complaint to Fubra.

So could we just leave it as is just now.

The beeb don't appear to be worried

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18064341

I wouldn't be either - no criminal case is active and if anything this would end up as civil job in the County Court

HOLA4424

There are plenty of links above to third party sites that link to it. That should be sufficient.

This is a nightmare for any company and you are only as good as your weakest link. I wonder what set him off. I can’t believe he could behave like this normally. Put simply he would have received a good hiding if he acted like that in any of the student houses that I remember. He obviously lost it over something that happened.

However, he behaved in the way he did. From the speed of the internal investigation he has obviously admitted to it and is very likely to have no job today.

However, imagine if the EA has of taped a customer giving off to them on the phone, and without that customer knowing it, posted it on a website. I imagine they would be in bigger trouble than this EA is now. This is a water shed moment and is another example of how new technology and social media is changing the way we all will operate. It is great that this behaviour has been exposed and stopped. However, on listening to the tape you will notice the EA's conduct is in stark contrast to the calm, reasonable behaviour of the student. Under abuse like that few of us (particularly male) could remain such an example of reasonable conduct, unless that is we knew it was all being taped and perhaps had set the situation up.

This, I am quite sure was taped and later broadcast without the knowledge or permission of the EA. Whilst no one could attempt to defend his conduct and language, never mind his lack of understanding of tenancy agreements, what has happened here is somehow wrong. I have always made known my opinion of the profession and I would be the last to defend them but all this is wrong. The student should have reported the incident to the police and a judge may agree to the submission of the tapes if there is denial on the behalf of the EA.

What could happen now is a customer, of any sort and many of us here have clients that we interface with from time to time. This client could now go about 'winding one up' as they say. Say all sorts and wait with the recorder in hand for one of us to 'loose it' as this guy clearly did in so many ways. They later only broadcast the 'Basel Faulty moment' and leave out all the earlier stuff. The the earlier stuff could have been weeks and weeks of harassment. Is this entrapment? Then again, is entrapment a crime?

We all have to just hope that one could pass that test and I for one will be playing that tape to staff to show how terribly wrong things could go. Although I simply can’t imagine any of them going off like that. Then again, I’m sure the owners of the EA never imagined there staff losing it like this.

Only the accent is so strong this could have been a real internet hit.

Edited by BelfastVI

HOLA4425

There are plenty of links above to third party sites that link to it. That should be sufficient.

This is a nightmare for any company and you are only as good as your weakest link. I wonder what set him off. I can’t believe he could behave like this normally. Put simply he would have received a good hiding if he acted like that in any of the student houses that I remember. He obviously lost it over something that happened.

However, he behaved in the way he did. From the speed of the internal investigation he has obviously admitted to it and is very likely to have no job today.

However, imagine if the EA has of taped a customer giving off to them on the phone, and without that customer knowing it, posted it on a website. I imagine they would be in bigger trouble than this EA is now. This is a water shed moment and is another example of how new technology and social media is changing the way we all will operate. It is great that this behaviour has been exposed and stopped. However, on listening to the tape you will notice the EA's conduct is in stark contrast to the calm, reasonable behaviour of the student. Under abuse like that few of us (particularly male) could remain such an example of reasonable conduct, unless that is we knew it was all being taped and perhaps had set the situation up.

This, I am quite sure was taped and later broadcast without the knowledge or permission of the EA. Whilst no one could attempt to defend his conduct and language, never mind his lack of understanding of tenancy agreements, what has happened here is somehow wrong. I have always made known my opinion of the profession and I would be the last to defend them but all this is wrong. The student should have reported the incident to the police and a judge may agree to the submission of the tapes if there is denial on the behalf of the EA.

What could happen now is a customer, of any sort and many of us here have clients that we interface with from time to time. This client could now go about 'winding one up' as they say. Say all sorts and wait with the recorder in hand for one of us to 'loose it' as this guy clearly did in so many ways. They later only broadcast the 'Basel Faulty moment' and leave out all the earlier stuff. The the earlier stuff could have been weeks and weeks of harassment. Is this entrapment? Then again, is entrapment a crime?

We all have to just hope that one could pass that test and I for one will be playing that tape to staff to show how terribly wrong things could go. Although I simply can’t imagine any of them going off like that. Then again, I’m sure the owners of the EA never imagined there staff losing it like this.

Only the accent is so strong this could have been a real internet hit.

I don't necessarily agree he should have gone to plod or the judge. I share a widespread lack of trust in appropriate sentencing for one thing. It may come to nothing on a technicality. DPP may not proceed etc. etc.

Perhaps the student didn't want to engage in the criminal justice system for the next 3 yrs, statements, court appearances postponed, delayed then thrown out or 10 hrs community service.

Many pass these things to news media outlets and then plod looks into it anyway - lets see if they can ignore this now that it is in the public domain and appears to be validated by the company itself.

For the student an immediate "2 fingers" to the idiot who is now an unemployed laughing stock may be much more satisfying.

And for the law students out there, the employer is vicariously liable - poor or non existent vetting, training and recruitment may be the reasons, but the guy was in the pay and employ of the employer and, like it or not, was representing them.

And we saw on the ship that sank - costa concordia - the mobile phone footage, the racist police sound recordings and even cctv is regularly admissable. If you are in a public place or, even worse, someones home uninvited, you are a legitimate subject for sound or video recording. If you are provoked (or not) and engage in unacceptable behaviour, you can use all the excuses you like but must account for your actions (whether you thought nobody was listening or watching or not).

Police will do it covertly as well by marking notes for example and secretly recording and videoing things (as in the lawrence case) and also during riots of course and public demonstrations.

The moral of this story is behave in a civilised manner at all times in public, particularly when dealing with others - whether you are being watched or recorded or not.

Especially when you are "at work"

Plod could still be involved if anyone, not necessarily the student, makes a complaint