House Price Crash Forum
Serpico

Switched On Posters

This has nothing to do with house prices, but there are more switched on knowledgeable posters on this board than any others that I visit.

Has anyone any thoughts on a credit card bank wrongfully applying late payment charges and interest and then acknowledging receipt of payment before the due date, then crediting the late payment but continuing to charge interest on interest that was not owed in the first place.

Not only wrongly charging late payment fees and interest on one, but several occasions. there being proof beyond any doubt that payments where made and a credits being made for the wrongful late charges, but also registering these false late payments with credit reference agencies thereby falsely causing severe irreparable damage to a previous blue chip credit history.

What offences have been committed by the credit card bank and what recourse would the innocent victim have in respect of Defamation and Libel

I can't answer all your questions, but the bank delayed a payment from a balance transfer a few months ago. I argued for ages on the phone, following it up the chain to the manager and they eventually agreed they received payment on time. Refunded the amount, and everything was fine.

Sorry I can't help much more, but has the bank done this to you, Serpico?

Not only wrongly charging late payment fees and interest on one, but several occasions. there being proof beyond any doubt that payments where made and a credits being made for the wrongful late charges, but also registering these false late payments with credit reference agencies thereby falsely causing severe irreparable damage to a previous blue chip credit history.

What offences have been committed by the credit card bank and what recourse would the innocent victim have in respect of Defamation and Libel

Don't know but I have thought for some years that this would be an interesting test case.

People whose credit ratings have been screwed up by fraud would be an even more interesting one since if the bank didn't do proper identity checks on the people that fraudulently opened the accounts then it might even be criminal libel.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

I remember when I first used internet banking I made the full payment the day before it was due on my CC.

Only to find that I was charged interest as I had not allowed at least three days for the amount to be credited to my CC account. I checked and found the money had been debited the day before and then rang the bank to be told again I must allow three days. I replied so electronically that money travels around the world for two days before you get it. They stuttered and then agreed to refund the interest. No problem since. <_<

I can't answer all your questions, but the bank delayed a payment from a balance transfer a few months ago. I argued for ages on the phone, following it up the chain to the manager and they eventually agreed they received payment on time. Refunded the amount, and everything was fine.

Sorry I can't help much more, but has the bank done this to you, Serpico?

Yes, been stiffed four times now. never once been late on a payment alway paid in full, on three occasions they have agreed payment was paid on time.

Just wrote to them with a complaint about the last (fraudulent) late payment and interest charge which they admitted had been paid and credited back, instructing them two close my own and my wifes accounts, cheque and credit payment slip clipped to the letter, nothing owing on my account just one D.D for Sky on my wifes,now moved to another card. received two letters acknowledging receipt and confirming closure of the accounts

FFS today we received her statement showing a balance from previous statement plus interest plus the Sky new debit. spoke to them on the phone, confirmed receipt of the letter but say there was no cheque. it was only for £21, so the new balance is now £70, if they got the letter they got the cheque are we being shafted or what? No profit from people who pay balances in full.

Not really on the same subject but the house we have just rented was previously occupied by people who have legged it owing the world and his dog money.

We have regular letters from debt collectors etc.

I imagine this will screw up our credit rating. I intend to sue the letting agency when we leave as they knew about the situation but did not mention it to us.

However, I will do this for a laugh as I do not intend to ever borrow money again.

The most amazing thing was that with the statement was a letter offering a guaranteed personal loan.

A Guaranteed Personal Loan is Waiting for you

"In recognition of your excellent record as an **** credit card customer, I am delighted to let you know that we'ved reserved an **** Personal loan of £10,000 for you at a rate of only 7.9% APR. And it's Guaranteed."

No wonder there is so much debt that can never be paid back, my wife already had a £16K limit on her card, she is disabled and they know she is a pensioner from her date of birth.

Are we being shafted or what? No profit from people who pay balances in full.

Serpico - the banks are on your case!

Notice how they have been throwing CCards @ everyone in the past decade and racked the price up for businesses for 'handling' cash.

They always make sure it costs more to handle cash now, than it is for a business to accept a credit card.

Now most of us treat using a card as a necessity, CCco's/banks are now targetting people such as you who pay off the balance monthly. :o

Numerous 'new' cards are being introduced(on the quiet) with annual charges - if you pay off the balance each month. You can't win exept to go back to bartering!

I am sure I could have said that in two lines but vodka/pernot's make you see treble at this time of night :P

The most amazing thing was that with the statement was a letter offering a guaranteed personal loan.

A Guaranteed Personal Loan is Waiting for you

"In recognition of your excellent record as an **** credit card customer, I am delighted to let you know that we'ved reserved an **** Personal loan of £10,000 for you at a rate of only 7.9% APR. And it's Guaranteed."

No wonder there is so much debt that can never be paid back, my wife already had a £16K limit on her card, she is disabled and they know she is a pensioner from her date of birth.

Gotta keep the merry go round spinning.

It'll get so fast that the laws of physics will intervene and many will be flung off.

Not really on the same subject but the house we have just rented was previously occupied by people who have legged it owing the world and his dog money.

We have regular letters from debt collectors etc.

I imagine this will screw up our credit rating. I intend to sue the letting agency when we leave as they knew about the situation but did not mention it to us.

However, I will do this for a laugh as I do not intend to ever borrow money again.

Renting is a caveat emptor-type contract, same as house buying. They have no obligation to tell you things like that, only to tell you the truth (or refuse to answer) if you specifically ask about it. Unless you asked and they lied to you, you have no basis to sue them.

Edited by zorn