House Price Crash Forum

Landlords 'evicting Tenants' To Make Olympic Profit

inflating

HOLA441
HOLA442

http://www.bbc.co.uk...london-17986383

Tenants in east London are being evicted from their homes as landlords attempt to cash in on the Olympics, BBC News has learned.

I thought demand was disappointing with many Olympic period to let property left unavailable?

The greedy landlords should hopefully find out the hard way... a summer long void and lower rents in the autumn

Hotels still cheaper per night though.

HOLA443

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-17986383

Tenants in east London are being evicted from their homes as landlords attempt to cash in on the Olympics, BBC News has learned.

I thought demand was disappointing with many Olympic period to let property left unavailable?

I take it you meant available.

I've read more than one piece on those lines, inc. from EAs. One of them (forget which) said they weren't taking on any more Olympic lets, they were already inundated with properties that weren't letting.

Could just have something to do with LLs asking rents of 3, 4 or more times the usual.

Quite apart from gross LL greed, it disgusts me that people are trying to, and hoping to, rip off visitors to the UK like this.

HOLA444

Koala, honestly I'm staying out of the UK until the Olympics are over - they'd have to pay me to live anywhere near the noise and nuisance of it.

I've read more than one piece on those lines, inc. from EAs. One of them (forget which) said they weren't taking on any more Olympic lets, they were already inundated with properties that weren't letting.

Could just have something to do with LLs asking rents of 3, 4 or more times the usual.

Quite apart from gross LL greed, it disgusts me that people are trying to, and hoping to, rip off visitors to the UK like this.

Sorry, yes available.

So where did Shelter get the idea from LLs are (illegally) booting people out to make way for people who are barmy enough to want to be near the Olympics?

If there are so many voids going, makes no sense? Journalistic licence?

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA445

3-4 times the (long term) rent is normal for weekly rent of a property, just look at holiday letting prices.

But evicting someone to achieve 2 weeks at three times the normal rent makes no sense at all. In order to be sure that they are out on the required date (i.e. after allowing for the court case and getting the baliff in) there's likley to be a couple of months void, so what have you won?

This only works at 10 times the normal rent.

tim