House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Marina

I Went Shopping Today, Where Are The Shoppers?

I have to say I lead a sheltered life. Work from home. Order clothes from the same mail-order company that I have used for years. Food delivered by Tesco.

But, today I needed a pair of shoes so off I went with my wife. M&S was the first port of call - the second or third biggest one in Europe as I recall. Time was when, on a Saturday, particularly at this time of year, you'd end up parking with 2 wheels on the pavement and walk half a mile to the store. Not any more! No problems parking in the car park though, to be fair, the store was moderately busy.

Anyway, then on to Camberley. Again normally you'd drive round the car park for half an hour and then give up and wait patiently for someone to leave. But doay there were loads of car parking spaces and the 'mall' or 'shopping precinct' was really noticeably quiet.

Suddenly realise that this consumer slowdown is very real.

Earlier in the day I went shopping in two local towns looking for a birthday present. In Henley-on-Thames, a very posh town with very expensive property, half the estate agents were CLOSED - at 1 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon. This used to be their busiest day.

We had the same thought last week after we went into Cardiff town centre.

I do most of my shopping online for Christmas but there were a few things I wanted to go in and check on and I did manage to bag a few bargains . There was hardly anyone about. It would normally be chocker this time of year.

Edited by Gillee

A couple of comments on the OP.

Isn't Camberley the place that was complaining about all those 'riff raff' Premiership footballers moving there just a few months ago.

As for Henley On Thames, whislt very expensive the thought that struck my mind last time I visited was just how reasonable the houses seemed compared to West Wales - and you got a heck of a lot more quality for the money as well.

BUBBLE!

not related exactly but.....

i needed to organise some transport for roof tiles for the first time in ages in the last week.

absolute shock!

despite all the fuel increases the price quoted was 60% of the rate i last paid about 8 months ago!!

obviously needing work

also, i have recently shipped some machinery to the usa ( not my normal business)

the shipper rang this week asking if there was any thing else to go. clearly short of work.

Do others on this site really think they will notice a fall in the number of shoppers in stores?

I still wander around window shopping. So does my GF. But we're not buying anything.

Most of the women I know get about as much pleasure just from browsing and trying on clothes.

I could be wrong, but I'm just not convinced that footfall is the way to monitor this slowdown.

Their Q'ing up to buy one of these!

* All credit to DAMES for finding this Beauty!

Blimey. I remember houses in Stonehouse like that were selling for around £105k 3 years ago.

A couple of comments on the OP.

Isn't Camberley the place that was complaining about all those 'riff raff' Premiership footballers moving there just a few months ago.

As for Henley On Thames, whislt very expensive the thought that struck my mind last time I visited was just how reasonable the houses seemed compared to West Wales - and you got a heck of a lot more quality for the money as well.

BUBBLE!

I think 250k for a 2 bed terraced cottage built for a farm worker a hundred years ago for £100 is a bit steep. It really is a like a mini bit of London.

Windsor is the same.

You feel like you have drifted into a parallel economy.

Do others on this site really think they will notice a fall in the number of shoppers in stores?

I still wander around window shopping. So does my GF. But we're not buying anything.

Most of the women I know get about as much pleasure just from browsing and trying on clothes.

I could be wrong, but I'm just not convinced that footfall is the way to monitor this slowdown.

Went to Oxford City center after few months(bored and went shopping) and I definitely noticed there are lot less shoppers/people than used to be. Even mrs.CC knows nothing about HPC, noticed it

I went food shopping this afternoon...first time in ages as my OH ususally does it but he had a meeting today so I offered :angry:

He told me to go early as the supermarket (out of town big thing..you know what I mean) is really busy on a Saturday and I should get there early to avoid the crowds.

So I did the complete opposite and after an easy morning I set off about 1.00pm ready to face the rush (not)...there was hardly anyone there, I got served at the check out straight away.

Now either nobody is shopping..or my OH is pulling a fast one about how difficult the weekly shop is.

Personally I am going for the latter until I have more evidence.

I went food shopping this afternoon...first time in ages as my OH ususally does it but he had a meeting today so I offered :angry:

He told me to go early as the supermarket (out of town big thing..you know what I mean) is really busy on a Saturday and I should get there early to avoid the crowds.

So I did the complete opposite and after an easy morning I set off about 1.00pm ready to face the rush (not)...there was hardly anyone there, I got served at the check out straight away.

Now either nobody is shopping..or my OH is pulling a fast one about how difficult the weekly shop is.

Personally I am going for the latter until I have more evidence.

Your OH does it online. Did you never wonder why it was always delivered??? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Their Q'ing up to buy one of these!

* All credit to DAMES for finding this Beauty!

I wonder how many people realise that they are transferring 10k of unsecured debt into 10k of secured debt? Is there no limit to people's stupidity?

How can I best take advantage of it?

I have to say I lead a sheltered life. Work from home. Order clothes from the same mail-order company that I have used for years. Food delivered by Tesco.

But, today I needed a pair of shoes so off I went with my wife. M&S was the first port of call - the second or third biggest one in Europe as I recall. Time was when, on a Saturday, particularly at this time of year, you'd end up parking with 2 wheels on the pavement and walk half a mile to the store. Not any more! No problems parking in the car park though, to be fair, the store was moderately busy.

Anyway, then on to Camberley. Again normally you'd drive round the car park for half an hour and then give up and wait patiently for someone to leave. But doay there were loads of car parking spaces and the 'mall' or 'shopping precinct' was really noticeably quiet.

Suddenly realise that this consumer slowdown is very real.

Earlier in the day I went shopping in two local towns looking for a birthday present. In Henley-on-Thames, a very posh town with very expensive property, half the estate agents were CLOSED - at 1 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon. This used to be their busiest day.

I run a number of online companies some retail and some distribution but all are suffering from the slow down. People have blamed the internet for the slow down but In my opinion mail order has been hit very hard as well.

There are two reasons for this:

1. People are up to their necks in debt and don't want to spend

2. The large corporations have reduced their margins so much that they have to sell a lot of products to make the same money and at the same time have crippled many small companies.

I've not kown a year like this but to be honest I've cut back also as i have a huge mortgage to pay off. Many people must be doing the same thing.

Last October one of my stores took over £76,000 on 40% margins while this October it is looking like 30,000 on just over 20% margins. Less turnover & less profit plus increasing rents, rates and fuel bills. I'm not going to go bust but I'm considering making some staff redundant and I'm sure there are plenty more retailers considering the same thing.

Consumers might think endless sales are great for their pocket, but in the long term it will mean poorly stocked shops and a high street with no independents stores.

No one takes any notice when a small company vanishes from the high street, but I suspect that there will be a few large names going to the wall in the new year.

I'm not sure you can blame the government for all of this, but I do think the British economy is too dependent on retail. Germany and France still rely more on manufacturing and exports to deliver economic growth, where in the UK it appears to be based on spending.

Listening to Brown and Blair anyone would think Germany and France need food aid, but both these countries have a highly skilled and productive work force which is more that can be said about the UK. They have an amazing transport and tele communications industry and people can still rent or buy cheaply.

The UK is really in a mess, our transport network is expensive, congested and is falling to bits, property prices don't reflect wages and it appears that our only two sectors, retail and service, are in a slump. We are still spending billions on war and selling off public assetts in order to fill the monetary gap left by falling North Sea Oil stocks.

The only good news I can think of is the Cricket and the Olympics, these two factors have done more for moral and the economy than blair, Brown, John Major and M thatcher ever did. Sorry but that last two parties Tory and Labour have wrecked this country. I used to be proud of my nationality but not now.

I'm not sure you can blame the government for all of this, but I do think the British economy is too dependent on retail.

Who else can you blame? They make the rules.

They dropped IRs to a 50 year low to stimulate an economy going into recession.

They have relied on consumer spending based on borrowing to keep the economy afloat.

They have watched consumer debt rise to £1.1 trillion and done nothing.

They have created a mind bogglingly complex tax regime and burdened everyone with incomprehensible forms.

They have made our economy top heavy (again) with public servants. The Tories might be w@nkers but at least they got the number of public servants down to a sensible level. These tossers have burdened the economy with supporting another million of the tossers. We have to pay their wages and pensions and it won't be easy to get them out of public service and back into the productive sector of the economy.

In short they have done what Labour governments always do. Tax and spend on public services - with little or no improvement.

It will take 20 years to undo what they have done in 8 years.

Saturday week ago I happened to have a break in Luton ( <_< ) and thought I'd go for a wander round the Arndale centre to look at mobile phones, and the place was HEAVING....however, it was only heaving in the walking areas between the shops. I peered inside a few shops and they were all relatively quiet.

Everyone seemed to be walking fairly quickly too. I guess a lot of them knew what they were going shopping for and had no interest in strolling along looking in windows.....

Now if the place was just full of men I could understand. Men hate shopping, we go for what the need and that's pretty much it....but now women are doing it too.... :blink:

Who else can you blame? They make the rules.

Blaming politicians is like blaming Black & Decker because your shelf slopes. We get what we deserve in the end. Or at least what we *allow* ourselves to deserve.

Andrew McP

Been decorating the last three of months. (one small bedroom, took ages, we are very slow) Making lots of trips to our most hated stores, Homebase, B&Q and for one small lamp - Ikea (hate that place the most)

Unbelievable, ghost towns the lot of them. Saturday and Sunday afternoons these places would find you queueing for 15 mins minimum. But every time we went, no trouble parking, and straight through the checkouts.

Last week, at my local Homebase, the checkout girl was asking everyone their postcodes, "doing a survey on how far people travel to shop here" she informed me.

Hmmm..... are closures looming???

Google's made record profits from the ads it has so I assume more % of money is being spent online.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4364998.stm

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/magazine/st...1596540,00.html

Just Say 'No'

They're the New Puritans. A generation of young, educated and opinionated people determined to sidestep the consumerist perils of modern life. So if you own a 4x4, spend all your time shopping, or are simply overweight - watch your back. Lucy Siegle meets the moral minority aiming to mend our ways

Giving people an ideal reason to stop buying stuff without sounds skint.

I've been casually making mental notes of pedestrian numbers in London's shopping streets.

A few weeks after the bombing, the place was really quiet on a Saturday - the train into london at 10am felt like some 5.30am train on its way up north. Oxford street looked quieter than a quiet weekday afternoon.

A few weeks ago, Saturday seemed much more 'back to normal' although perhaps not as elbow-crowded as it can be on a Saturday.

This weekend it seemed quieter, Oxford Street shops not exactly buzzing considering retail is in the heart of it's peak season Christmas run-in. Other popular shopping streets like Charing Cross Road and Tottenham Court Road were almost weekday quiet.

Edited by CrashedOutAndBurned