House Price Crash Forum

(Un)Intended Consequences

Might be better to take these unemployed angry young men and find them a new enemy to vent their frustrations on rather than the state, politicians, bankers or anyone in power ... let me think and see what other governments have done in this situation and who could be the scapegoat.

I think the powers that be would go for that solution. And it really would solve everything. The surplus people would be dead, lots of women to go around for the remaining men, surplus production could be expended on the enemy.. a generation of 'rebuilding' after the war, and a common enemy, that isn't our own leaders and super rich.

But with the advent of nuclear weapons no serious country can go to war with another serious country. Because conventional forces are irrelevant once we start talking nuclear weapons. Our military is going to the ends of the earth looking for enemies to fight in a conventional war, but nowadays no one is that interested.

Good post.

It's hard to attract a women when all you have is a weekly dole payment that is less than a child would yield in tax credits, you might get your end away,but your hardly going to keep them when the state provides an income far higher than what you could, if you were even working in the first place!

A lot of women go for 'money'. A lot of people are born into money in the form of land ownership, they have an unnatural advantage. The best don't breed with the best, not so much survival of the fittest, but survival of the fattest wallet, width of wallet being determined at birth.

I think women go for a guy who can provide for a family. All else being equal sure a woman would choose the richer guy. But presuming the man she is attracted to has crossed that bar of being able to provide for a family, I think most women would be happy to marry that man.

I agree with all of your post. Regarding similarities between the 30s and now, instead of German WWI reparations, we have Greeks/Italians/etc owing money to the EU and various bondholders.

In Germany pre-WWII they had the Dolchsto├člegende - a myth that they didn't really lose WWI - and didn't accept responsibility for the war . Greece, et al appear to be in a similar position now.

I can't really think of a good way for this to end. I'm thankful at this stage that Greece isn't really that populous a country.

True it doesn't really matter how the debt originated, whether war reparations or speculation turned sour or out of control spending and bankers only too happy to lend to it. The debt can't be paid back.

Most historians don't want to even think about it, but there was also a great real estate bubble in central Europe during the 20's, that blew up through the 30's. Its why when the Nazis took over places they put in strict anti-speculation laws. Germany actually kept those laws in place to this day, and avoided the speculation.

True it doesn't really matter how the debt originated, whether war reparations or speculation turned sour or out of control spending and bankers only too happy to lend to it. The debt can't be paid back.

Most historians don't want to even think about it, but there was also a great real estate bubble in central Europe during the 20's, that blew up through the 30's. Its why when the Nazis took over places they put in strict anti-speculation laws. Germany actually kept those laws in place to this day, and avoided the speculation.

Err no Germany is just in a different timing cycle, They had a big speculative housing Boom in the first half of the 90s due to the introduction of the Fordergebietsgesetz, basically a tax write off introduced for property developers to help integration, naturally everyone and their aunt joined in to get a piece of the action, at the same time they were booming the rest of the Europe was crashing/correcting, by the time The rest of the West was starting the next stage of its boom, Germany started to crash, loads of amateur property speculators went Bankrupt, the big difference with Germany is its cycle is not fully in sync with the rest yet

Edited by Georgia O'Keeffe

I think women go for a guy who can provide for a family. All else being equal sure a woman would choose the richer guy. But presuming the man she is attracted to has crossed that bar of being able to provide for a family, I think most women would be happy to marry that man.

Problem is they still lust after the shirtless, young, fit but broke gardener....