House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BillyBodger

Id Cards For The Uk

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+exec+ID+card...ml?tag=nefd.top

I hope the link above works for u guy's on this fourm.

I don't post much, more of a lurcher but should we heed this?

I personally don't want all my personal details in one place (on a ID card) that some savvy hacker to use for his or her use. Identity theft springs to mind as one of the possible downsides.

I know we always hear of new Microsoft security flaw nearly every other week but I really don't like the idea of the state to be able to access my every life detail in one easy step.

They are trying to plug the holes in their latest operating systems all the time, so it could be they have some experience in knowing when something looks a bad non starter.

I think we are being warned.

[ Moderator ]

We have disabled posting ability on your various identities listed below.

kalimojo

privatefraser

sammac1967

Unamerican

unlikelyevents

aristarchus

fraziercrane

If you wish to have a forum for your anti American / anti war agenda, perhaps you would be kind enough to seek it elsewhere.

i dont want ID cards for the simple reason:

no other individual has the right to challenge who i am.

I see where you are comming from but why can't your ID be challanged?

It's challanged everyday over the net making purchases, dealing with the public services or even your friends and collegues in every day converse.

It could even be challanged on open forum such as this.

Our identity is always at challange with ourselves and others. The problem is if on person/computer has what it thinks has your id in on card. Then that's the end, because you then have to prove yourself if the records are wrong or stolen.

We know they are going to be forged. Every kind of document can be forged. Its just a smoke screen for data collection of individuals. And we know that the security can be hacked. Every kind of...

i dont want ID cards for the simple reason:

no other individual has the right to challenge who i am.

you are so right. i am fairly angry most of the time but just the talk of these id cards puts me over the edge, i am white, born here (37 years ago), never worked outside the uk, maybe go abroad once a year and these fools running the country are now going to try and make me have an id card - NO WAY, I WILL LEAVE BEFORE THAT POINT! . Anyone for Iceland?

"Microsoft say the data on cards could be used by hackers"

...unless of course microsoft develop the necessary security systems and data encryption.

could they be any less overt?

Yes microsoft would like to be in on the act, who wouldn't with all the information they would have at their disposal.

With large memory space getting into ever smaller spaces who know's what they could access?

One day in the near future I dare say you could put terabytes of info on something as small as a credit card.

[ Moderator ]

We have disabled posting ability on your various identities listed below.

kalimojo

privatefraser

sammac1967

Unamerican

unlikelyevents

aristarchus

fraziercrane

If you wish to have a forum for your anti American / anti war agenda, perhaps you would be kind enough to seek it elsewhere.

We know they are going to be forged. Every kind of document can be forged. Its just a smoke screen for data collection of individuals. And we know that the security can be hacked. Every kind of...

Elizabeth,

I agree but what I'm trying to say is If a person had info on me in some format, say a drivers license,passport etc, I can see what is there. It's plain to see and read without any machine.

with ID cards it's a different matter. That's why I don't want them.

Elizabeth,

I agree but what I'm trying to say is If a person had info on me in some format, say a drivers license,passport etc, I can see what is there. It's plain to see and read without any machine.

with ID cards it's a different matter. That's why I don't want them.

Billy I'm totally anti-them I totally agree. I don't think that there is any need for holding any further information about people than what is actually needing to be known.

Beyond the principle the pragmatic me that acutally wouldn't care, does care because we have seen enough screw-ups to know security promises almost certainly mean that theiir won't be any. Anytime the government promises security, it is sure fire that what they actually mean is we want to put money for nothing in big corporate pockets and then let them walk away without a penalty. Whoops, you took 22M and didn't deliver. We'll just default the contract and leave it at that shall we? Look at the great NHS debacle.

What I was trying to say, maybe badly is that, not only is it unnessary information/population control, but that its fake control anyway, because it will be just as easy to fake the ID cards as it is to fake any other ID.

To me its throwing round the illusion of power to control those who are already in control of themselves while continuing to ignore the disintegration of self-control amongst a minority. I could go into one about the schooling debate here, or a 24 hours drinking debate or... but it might get confusing!!!

To be resisted.

I've said on another forum.

It used to be that the State existed because we the citizens, ok subjects here, let it.

ID cards would change that to we the citizens exist because the State lets us.

This would fundamentally alter the relationship between citizen and State.

Plus it will, of course, be a total shambles and much money will be wasted but go to the Government's friends.

It stinks.

The control freaks that are NL are salivating at the thought though.

Stalin looks down and thinks, "If only I'd had that technology".

" Id Cards For The Uk, Microsoft say the data on cards could be used by hackers. "

Oh, really? We need Microsoft to tell us do we! :lol:

But seriously, I love the ID card idea. Think about it: what other issue when brought up in conversation so easily distinguishes between people you want to know and people who think what the gov tell them to think, eh?

Bit of a bummer however that the majority of the population seen to be from the latter group: before we know it the bloody things will be thru the stautes and in our pockets.

" Id Cards For The Uk, Microsoft say the data on cards could be used by hackers. "

Oh, really? We need Microsoft to tell us do we! :lol:

But seriously, I love the ID card idea. Think about it: what other issue when brought up in conversation so easily distinguishes between people you want to know and people who think what the gov tell them to think, eh?

Bit of a bummer however that the majority of the population seen to be from the latter group: before we know it the bloody things will be thru the stautes and in our pockets.

"If you've got nothing to hide".

"If you've got nothing to hide".

Why don't you let Tony and Gordon sit in and watch whilst you shag your missus. Hell let them watch whilst you're jacking yourself off if thats what you think, oh and you can pay THEM for the pleasure!

Why don't you let Tony and Gordon sit in and watch whilst you shag your missus. Hell let them watch whilst you're jacking yourself off if thats what you think, oh and you can pay THEM for the pleasure!

Please read the whole thread.

Look at the context of the post of mine you quote.

Irony?

hold on. your presumming the poster is male ?

for a fairer non-sexist balance id like to add:

Why don't you let Tony and Gordon sit in and watch whilst you shag your husband. Hell let them watch whilst you're 'cleaning the holes in doughnuts' if thats what you think, oh and you can pay THEM for the pleasure!

hold on. your presumming the poster is male ?

for a fairer non-sexist balance id like to add:

Why don't you let Tony and Gordon sit in and watch whilst you shag your husband. Hell let them watch whilst you're 'cleaning the holes in doughnuts' if thats what you think, oh and you can pay THEM for the pleasure!

But what if they were hemaphrodite in the first case? :ph34r:

Guest Bart of Darkness
...unless of course microsoft develop the necessary security systems and data encryption.

If they did and they worked, it would be a first for Microsoft!

Do you fill in a tax return, or have a national insurance number, or pay for a TV license, or have a car number plate? These are all invasions of privacy or methods of tagging people. If they were being introduced for the first time today they would all face a similar outcry to ID cards.

There's a lot of tough talking but eventually it will be just like the above. If the government wants us to have ID cards then we shall have ID cards. Don't be under any illusions that the government will obey the will of the people or that we are not just feeble unarmed peasants.

The time to worry is when it becomes compulsory to have a scannable microchip embedded in your body.

If you get a bad credit rating or a criminal record it may become 'difficult' for you in society.

ID cards can be left at home. you can't leave your body behind.

(I'm not saying this embedded mico will happen to everyone, but it may happen to criminals etc)

Edited by Without_a_Paddle

If they did and they worked, it would be a first for Microsoft!

regardless of whoever supplies the tech, as far as a government implemented computer system is concerned would it not be more correct to say...

If they did and they worked, it would be a first for the government!