House Price Crash Forum

I opened a student account with Barclays in 1998 and have been with them ever since. I currently have an additions plus account which, for a monthly fee, has benifits.

When I opened the account, I remember being very impressed with Barclays. Everyone in the branch knew my name and if I had a problem the branch manager would either call me or meet with me. Wow! haven't times changed!

I have a First Direct account for my mortgage - they are slightly better than Barclays. I also have a savings account with Santander who are dreadful. My wife has an account with national wide and they are even worse.

Can anyone recommend a good bank for current accounts?

Handelsbanken trupet themselves for customer service.

Appreciate your comments.

Have been with smile for a few years. I find the website straightforward & their service efficient, friendly & helpful. All round a good current a/c with no hassles or problems.

No complaints - but then, anything's brilliant after CrapWest....

• 3 weeks later...

I'm considering the Santander 123 account as it pays 3% (I think) on current account balance and has a good cashback scheme on bills paid by DD.

Yes, I know, service, but I've been with Barclays for over forty years and their service is steadily deteriorating.

I've just had a look at that. It has a nasty monthly fee, and I am firmly against fee-paying bank accounts IN PRINCIPLE.

Doing the sums, even with the cashback paying every bill by DD, I'd only be pennies better off each month. And the interest is Zero unless you have a balance of £1000 or more, then it's only a paltry 1% unless you have a balance of £2000 or more, and then it's only 2%. It only gets to 3% if you keep a high balance of £3000 or more in your current account - who does that? Faster payments in and out of higher interest instant access savings account yield more.

So no, the price for abandoning my principles is a lot higher than the pennies STD are offering me!

I've just had a look at that. It has a nasty monthly fee, and I am firmly against fee-paying bank accounts IN PRINCIPLE.

Doing the sums, even with the cashback paying every bill by DD, I'd only be pennies better off each month. And the interest is Zero unless you have a balance of £1000 or more, then it's only a paltry 1% unless you have a balance of £2000 or more, and then it's only 2%. It only gets to 3% if you keep a high balance of £3000 or more in your current account - who does that? Faster payments in and out of higher interest instant access savings account yield more.

So no, the price for abandoning my principles is a lot higher than the pennies STD are offering me!

At 3% I'd keep the maximum of £20K in there, it's not a bad rate for instant access and saves all the messing about.

At 3% I'd keep the maximum of £20K in there, it's not a bad rate for instant access and saves all the messing about.

I'm planning on doing that when my Santander 5% current account runs out in Aug if not before, the 3% is much what savings accounts are earning and the £2 monthly fee is more than offset by the 3% interest and cashback.

Edited by zebbedee