House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

enworb

At last I signed up with Skype 5 months after getting a handset for my birthday. You get to choose a number , although it would take hours to get a decent number that rolls off teh tongue, but thse days with phonebooks there is no real need.

For 30 Euro's (+4 for using Visa) you register and have the use of a number that can be called from a landline. This is - Skype in - which only allows me to receive calls but I can buy credit to call from this number at a far cheaper rate than YOU KNOW WHO.

The advantages are, I can get rid of my landline since I use an internet provider called Netvigator that doesn't require a phone line. It is connected using a USB or Ethernet cable. I can receive calls anywhere that I can go online and log in, and I also have voivemail activated.I have a 0207 London number

I have family in Canada but at the moment there are no Canadian numbers available. But I can get an American number and then only pay the cost of USA to Canada (maybe less but I haven't read much into international yet).

But it does cost 30 Euro per number.

Anyone else use Skype that can enlighten me and others on International calls?

Looks like the telecomms companies don't like free net based calls.

They're going to start blocking them or de-prioritising them making them useless.

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/info-t...rnet-calls.html

This won't affect me since I don't use a normal telephone company to connect t the internet. I have a Netvigator box which recieves a signal through the airways ( I think ) so I dn't connect a phone line to my laptop at all.

I wonder how a telephone company will know who is using Skype type telephony. All they will know is that a person is connected and sending and receiving data. It should be against the law for them to know what data is being sent or recieved unless there is proof of illegal data of course.

I imagine internet providers pay telephone companies for the use of their line already, so they should not be able to charge further for using the line!

Cheers for the link. Have you looked into using this kind of service yourself?

Guest absolutezero

This won't affect me since I don't use a normal telephone company to connect t the internet. I have a Netvigator box which recieves a signal through the airways ( I think ) so I dn't connect a phone line to my laptop at all.

I wonder how a telephone company will know who is using Skype type telephony. All they will know is that a person is connected and sending and receiving data. It should be against the law for them to know what data is being sent or recieved unless there is proof of illegal data of course.

I imagine internet providers pay telephone companies for the use of their line already, so they should not be able to charge further for using the line!

Cheers for the link. Have you looked into using this kind of service yourself?

According to the New Scientist printed article (the web versions are edited) the packets of data that web based phone calls use are quite distinctive. So this bit of software just looks for them and blocks them or slows them down.

The ISP knows exactly what you're doing on the web all the time. Assume anything on here is about as private as a postcard and you'll be near the mark.

However, I have no interest in telephone calls. I don't make them.

I let people ring me then let the answering machine kick in. If I want to talk then I will!

A neighbour keeps going on about the skype thing and how its going to be the future etc but I was telling him that 'they' will not like losing money and will fight back.

That said, the hackers and people like that are never too far behind trying to find loopholes and ways round what is essentially censorship.

I am reasonably confident that Skype had considered opposition by "them" and further still , e-bay are planning to buy Skype for $2.6bn.

It would be an interesting battle between e-bay and "them", since "they" have been the daddies of telephony for so long :D

Since using skype my company (20 employees) is saving over £2000 per month on mobile phone calls. We have people in the USA and Korea phoning back to the UK office and thier homes for free!

This talk about blocking them is rubbish. Telecomms companies are already under pressure to open up their lines for use by others.

This is the way forward. Its all about bandwidth, you will soon have vvoip on skype (voice and video).

You can pretty much call any landline in the world for 0.012 pence per minute, and of course skype to skpye calls are always free.

Guest Guy_Montag

I imagine that if telcoms companies do try to block or delay the VoIP packets they will find themselves on the end of some very hefty lawsuits, especially now Skype is owned by e-bay & therefore has the muscle to bring them to court.

I imagine that if telcoms companies do try to block or delay the VoIP packets they will find themselves on the end of some very hefty lawsuits, especially now Skype is owned by e-bay & therefore has the muscle to bring them to court.

I wonder if this is the very reason that Skype decided to sell to eBay. Because without their clout, they would possibly have been bullied into paying handsomely for "their" phone line.

I can only see "them" dropping their prices but it's about time they abolished line rental. Or charged somewhere near £25 per year like Skype.

Anyone know the code for New York? 001??? I may try to get hold of a NY number. Already got a London #