House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Losing Faith

Idle Threat From Service Vendor

here is the letter i was sent (names edited out) this morning. it was not addressed personally but just to the current occupier (i rent of course). It is the first and only correspondance from this company that i have received so no ongoing issue as far as i know.

"Dear Sir or Madam,

We have been employed by X to carry out the ANNUAL servicing of your heating appliances.

This ANNUAL service will be carried out on the afternoon of 28/10/2005.

Having your appliances serviced helps to ENSURE YOUR SAFETY. New regulations state that this must be carried out ONCE A YEAR, so it is essential that you make every effort to keep this appointment. Should you fail to keep this appointment it will be referred back to your Landlord.

If this day or time is not convenient please contact us on Y between the hours of 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday, giving an alternative date at your earliest convenience.

Yours Sincerely"

Now, unless I am mistaken

is for me to decide not them.

and, what's more:

Should you fail to keep this appointment it will be referred back to your Landlord.

sounds very much like a threat to me!

So what gives? Who do these w@nkers think they are?

More to the point how could I obtain money out of them through their carelessness?

So you have a decent landord that looks after the equipment properly, and the engineers offer you their earliest possible appointment.

Yes you are mistaken, its for both parties to come to an agreement.

Well you could ring up the engineers and tell them what time and date they must be at your flat (let us know their answer)

What do you expect them to do? of course they would let the landlord know.

These ******* are a diligent landlord and an engineer trying to keep you warm and safe.

More to the point how could I obtain money out of them through their carelessness?

Dont be so bloody ridiculous, what carelessness? you dont get compensation for being stupid.

So you have a decent landord that looks after the equipment properly, and the engineers offer you their earliest possible appointment.

Yes you are mistaken, its for both parties to come to an agreement.

Well you could ring up the engineers and tell them what time and date they must be at your flat (let us know their answer)

What do you expect them to do? of course they would let the landlord know.

These ******* are a diligent landlord and an engineer trying to keep you warm and safe.

Dont be so bloody ridiculous, what carelessness? you dont get compensation for being stupid.

read it again fistfcuk, look at the bold type, the capitalisation and the overall blunt forceful manner.

the letter is obtuse, threatening and pretends to have some kind of authority when in fact they have no right whatsoever to demand anything of me.

by the way, you are very wrong. any time scheduled is subject to MY consent PERIOD.

the carelessness i refer too is their assumption that we will just accept their disgraceful behaviour and pander to their demand without question.

...had they

a) bothered to find out my name, and

B) written a polite letter (as do BT, BG, Manpower etc.)

then there would have been no issue.

what are YOU anyway, some kind of peasant?

and that's why they say

If this day or time is not convenient please contact us on Y between the hours of 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday, giving an alternative date at your earliest convenience.

Why not just phone them?

and, what's more:

Should you fail to keep this appointment it will be referred back to your Landlord.

No, it's informing you that this is important and possibly life threatening. The landlord has duties (to ensure that gas installations and appliances supplied are safe) but you as the tenant also have duties to (to provide reasonable access).

If it isn't done the landlord could end up with a fine or 6 months in prison... meanwhile you could be dead.

Carelessness.. :lol::lol: .. try carbon monoxide poisoning, death and then suing them for not doing a gas safety check ;)