Registers Of Scotland

catmandu

HOLA441
HOLA442

Scotland :

Annual Change +1.7%

Monthly Change -5.4%

Average Prices: slightly up: 148,764 v 146,260

Rise in volumes compared to same quarter last year (+8%), no doubt driven by stamp duty changes.

Edinburgh:

Annual Change : -0.8%

Monthly Change: -10.3% (!!) Probably affected by higher percentage of FTB sales.

Edited by catmandu

HOLA443
HOLA444

Scotland :

Annual Change +1.7%

Monthly Change -5.4%

Average Prices: slightly up: 148,764 v 146,260

Rise in volumes compared to same quarter last year (+8%), no doubt driven by stamp duty changes.

Edinburgh:

Annual Change : -0.8%

Monthly Change: -10.3% (!!) Probably affected by higher percentage of FTB sales.

That is quite a figure, where are the media?! A 10.3 rise would be frontpage news (no matter how spurious the data).....

HOLA445

That is quite a figure, where are the media?! A 10.3 rise would be frontpage news (no matter how spurious the data).....

Quite. The register for Scotland figures are appallingly unreliable. As far as I can tell they simply add up the total prices of all sales and divide by the number of properties. A few more or less big houses sold in a region in any month and the figure goes wild. In contrast the Land reg. south of the border looks only at houses for which there are pre-existing sales data, and does a regression analysis for these houses to calculate a more realistic figure for overall house price movements.

HOLA446

Quite. The register for Scotland figures are appallingly unreliable.

Indeed. Take Orkney for example. +22% annual increase in house prices. They must be getting some great salary increases there. Or perhaps it's something to do with there only being 66 sales over the quarter.

Want some more random stats from the report?

29.9% drop in volumes (Jan-Mar) compared to the last quarter (Oct-Dec). Anyone want to advise why this is the case despite the supposed FTB rush?

Edited by catmandu

HOLA447
HOLA448

The volume drop is interesting, is it just me or are there more properties available for sale / rent in Edinburgh?

I don't have any hard facts but there does seem to be increasing numbers of flats for sale/rent round my way (Morningside). There are two flats for sale/rent in the block where I live (it is not very large)

I am past the buying a flat level and am looking at semi-detached houses in Midlothian but these seem less numerous and those that do come up for sale either sell quickly or sit on the market for years.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA449