House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
getdoon_weebobby

Bt9

12 hours ago, 2buyornot2buy said:

Well done selling to rent. I've been contemplating the very thing for about a year now. 

I honestly think the prices are about to peak again, Brexit is a nightmare as we all know and is bound to have an affect sometime this year but a lot of houses over here have risen a fair bit this past couple of years, especially traditional semi detached and terraced homes around the 200k mark, I think some of the four bed detached in the suburbs are still good value but last year I noticed anything in good order was selling within a few weeks, people were going a little crazy, just over two years ago my brother was trying to sell a smallish three bed detached in Bangor for 225k it had very little interest and he took it of the market, last August he put the house back on the market and sold within three weeks at 287k , he bought a new house at 335k that two year before was about 250k , its very big increases in a short space of time, wages are not increasing in line with these prices

On 09/02/2019 at 18:47, stingray192 said:

I honestly think the prices are about to peak again, Brexit is a nightmare as we all know and is bound to have an affect sometime this year but a lot of houses over here have risen a fair bit this past couple of years, especially traditional semi detached and terraced homes around the 200k mark, I think some of the four bed detached in the suburbs are still good value but last year I noticed anything in good order was selling within a few weeks, people were going a little crazy, just over two years ago my brother was trying to sell a smallish three bed detached in Bangor for 225k it had very little interest and he took it of the market, last August he put the house back on the market and sold within three weeks at 287k , he bought a new house at 335k that two year before was about 250k , its very big increases in a short space of time, wages are not increasing in line with these prices

Agreed, there is no logic for those increases. I guess it's just sentiment?

My parents sold a house a few years back that got 170K and barely managed to get it sold, only one offer...that same place would be about 220 now I'd guess.

I've seen somewhere I'd live to live but the prices at the moment make me wince. I guess the big question is will there actually be another drop in prices in pounds as such, vs gradual or not so gradual devaluation of the value of the pound. Did you ever re-buy or are you still renting?

On 09/02/2019 at 18:47, stingray192 said:

I agree with what you're saying, but maybe only because it fits in with my earlier predictions. I am planning to sell a 3 bedroom semi in Dunmurry in the next few months and hoping to get a 4 or 5 bedroom detached in the same area. I don't know if I quite have the balls to sell up and wait for the market to drop, so I'd be interested to know where you have seen " four bed detached in the suburbs [that] are still good value".

1 hour ago, jwrag said:

I agree with what you're saying, but maybe only because it fits in with my earlier predictions. I am planning to sell a 3 bedroom semi in Dunmurry in the next few months and hoping to get a 4 or 5 bedroom detached in the same area. I don't know if I quite have the balls to sell up and wait for the market to drop, so I'd be interested to know where you have seen " four bed detached in the suburbs [that] are still good value".

I know it's a ballsy move to make isn't it. Sell up, hope for a drop and then save a fortune on an upgraded house. I've got the fear at the moment that because I haven't bought things are just gonna become less and less affordable every year I wait, but then again I remember people saying that in 2006.

I guess you have to think back to what actually caused the last crash, and will that really happen again. To my memory it was the global financial crisis and then credit dried up...but will that actually see an event of that magnitude. If it doesn't then I think this insanity can continue; since the national psyche is that people are obsessed with housing and all that matters is that the mortgage rates are low enough for them to make the monthly payment.

I also get the impression that when people come into money, say they inheret 50K or something, instead of thinking 'I can use that to retire a couple years early', the default is just to plough that into either doing a house up or buying a bigger house.

2 hours ago, jwrag said:

He's perhaps referring to the gap in prices between 3 bed semi and 4 bed detached in smaller in the burbs. In bt9 it could be 3 times the price. 

On 11/02/2019 at 14:37, 2buyornot2buy said:

He's perhaps referring to the gap in prices between 3 bed semi and 4 bed detached in smaller in the burbs. In bt9 it could be 3 times the price. 

Sorry been away most of this week, just catching up now, when I originally sold in malone meadows it was pretty much at the top of the market, I was one of the original occupants so had bought fairly cheap, it wasn’t any clever predictions it was pure good luck, I was moving to aberdeen, so with the great price I was able to buy a decent house in Aberdeen mortgage free, I stayed for a few years but couldn’t settle, by this time the market here had crashed, the market in Aberdeen due to the oil at that time was still fairly good so I was able to sell in Aberdeen and buy two properties back here, one in portstewart the other in carrick, the house I got built in carrick has a very large side garden so my intention is to build a smaller house for my retirement at sometime and sell the bigger one.

so I guess the boom then crash worked for me, I love property( originally an estate agent for 7 years) and always look through propertypal Etc, so always keep a close eye on the market, I also view virtually every show house going, the comments I made about the suburbs being so much cheaper was based on people moving from say stranmillis , ballyhackamore , finaghy and moving further out to Lisburn , dundonald Etc, now last Sunday I viewed several show houses around dundonald and was totally shocked by how expensive dundonald is a 950sqft house for £199k and a 1420sqft for £295k on tiny sites and really quite a basic specification

so i guess the suburbs aren’t the bargain I thought !

13 hours ago, stingray192 said:

Sorry been away most of this week, just catching up now, when I originally sold in malone meadows it was pretty much at the top of the market, I was one of the original occupants so had bought fairly cheap, it wasn’t any clever predictions it was pure good luck, I was moving to aberdeen, so with the great price I was able to buy a decent house in Aberdeen mortgage free, I stayed for a few years but couldn’t settle, by this time the market here had crashed, the market in Aberdeen due to the oil at that time was still fairly good so I was able to sell in Aberdeen and buy two properties back here, one in portstewart the other in carrick, the house I got built in carrick has a very large side garden so my intention is to build a smaller house for my retirement at sometime and sell the bigger one.

so I guess the boom then crash worked for me, I love property( originally an estate agent for 7 years) and always look through propertypal Etc, so always keep a close eye on the market, I also view virtually every show house going, the comments I made about the suburbs being so much cheaper was based on people moving from say stranmillis , ballyhackamore , finaghy and moving further out to Lisburn , dundonald Etc, now last Sunday I viewed several show houses around dundonald and was totally shocked by how expensive dundonald is a 950sqft house for £199k and a 1420sqft for £295k on tiny sites and really quite a basic specification

so i guess the suburbs aren’t the bargain I thought !

Jesus BT9 to Mordor. 🙂

Yeah Dundonald seems to be really popular now...when I was a kid it had a reputation as a bit of a dump and houses were really cheap there.