House Price Crash Forum

Reasonable Houses In The South West

alexays

If you had 600K or so to spend on a property and you had 2 school age kids what would you buy? Ideally within commuting distance of Bristol or somewhere with IT jobs. Would like a couple of acres or so to go with it

Depends what you class as a Commute.

For that cash, you could look in the box defined by the M4 from junctions 18 to 19, the A46, A432, A4174 - Basically between Bath, Bristol and the M4.

If you stay north of the River Avon then your commuting range is greater; if you go out south of them then you have a bigger commute, but you might get a much bigger house. Or be able to spend £400k on a very nice house and £200k on private schooling..

If you had 600K or so to spend on a property and you had 2 school age kids what would you buy? Ideally within commuting distance of Bristol or somewhere with IT jobs. Would like a couple of acres or so to go with it

Show off! :)

If I had that money to play with:

£400k on a place near Bristol

http://www.bristolairport.co.uk/flights-from-bristol.aspx

and

£200k on a place near La Rochelle. You'd probably get equivalent houses.

Depends what you class as a Commute.

For that cash, you could look in the box defined by the M4 from junctions 18 to 19, the A46, A432, A4174 - Basically between Bath, Bristol and the M4.

If you stay north of the River Avon then your commuting range is greater; if you go out south of them then you have a bigger commute, but you might get a much bigger house. Or be able to spend £400k on a very nice house and £200k on private schooling..

Aren't Brisl's best IT jobs out north of the city anyway? HP Labs, for instance?

Friend of mine had an IT job in Taunton, didn't like the place, so lived in Brisl instead and commuted on the train. If house-with-land is your objective you could do the same in reverse. Not that I'd choose to ...

Edited by porca misèria

Aren't Brisl's best IT jobs out north of the city anyway? HP Labs, for instance?

Friend of mine had an IT job in Taunton, didn't like the place, so lived in Brisl instead and commuted on the train. If house-with-land is your objective you could do the same in reverse. Not that I'd choose to ...

I have some relatives who live in Frome so that is part of the reason for wanting to move down. Quite like this - Stoke St Mary with Ducks in a pond!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-30112798.html?premiumA=true

Or this (bit a drive into Bristol though)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-31316794.html?premiumA=true

Still not sure whether want to move down. Wife wants to spend £620K to buy a wreck with a nice garden near Guildford to do up. I am not sure I want to do that.

It depends on how much time you're prepared to spend commuting each day.

There is a cluster of IT jobs in North Bristol, around the M4/M5 interchange and Bristol Parkway station, which has fast-ish trains. Commuting from as far as Swindon, Tiverton and Gloucester is possible, if time-consuming. 600K should buy quite a bit of land if you don't mind a longish commute. The M5 tends to be less stress-inducing than the M4.

There's another cluster around the city centre, within walking distance of Bristol Templemeads station. Commuting by car into the city centre would not be much fun.

If you are allowed to work from home a few days each week, then North Devon might even be an option. Your budget would certainly buy a house with a couple of acres there.