House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tatty

The Market Is Dead On Its **** - Direct From A Vi

Just instructed a solicitor through one of the umberella groups that farm out conveyancing work throughout the country. I waited until after i'd committed myself before asking how busy the market was. He was quite frank and said that the would normally expect a surge during september and october before it dies off over winter. This autumn has been very, very poor apparently.

I found myself in the ridiculous situation of smiling at that news just as i'm buying a bloody house. Still, give it a few years and that mythical next rung will be that much closer... relatively speaking.

I know, I know...wait 3 years and skip the pain. You ring my other half and tell her that!

Is there a business to be had ringing people#s other halfs and giving them the bad news that they can't buy a house this year?

;-)

£50 a go?

I charge £25.00 + VAT

A question for you experienced people, do I need to organize my own survey? I'm confused because I thought I did but apparently the lender organises the valuation (EA, conveyancer and lender said this). Or do I still do my own in-depth one in addition to the lender doing theirs?

(I sound like one of those 'what colour should I paint my bathroom' chimps on the C4 forum)

Im going to setup a call centre in india with hundreds of operators, charge £20 and pay my staff peanuts...

I be doing it already. Now please get out of my shop and call again soon...

A question for you experienced people, do I need to organize my own survey? I'm confused because I thought I did but apparently the lender organises the valuation (EA, conveyancer and lender said this). Or do I still do my own in-depth one in addition to the lender doing theirs?

(I sound like one of those 'what colour should I paint my bathroom' chimps on the C4 forum)

The building society will do a valuation survey but you can pay extra and they will do a more detailed survey if you want.

The building society will do a valuation survey but you can pay extra and they will do a more detailed survey if you want.

Generally whether you want a more expensive one depends upon the age and condition of the house,

Peter.

Generally whether you want a more expensive one depends upon the age and condition of the house,

Peter.

It's mid-80's 4 bed semi. What would the norm be? To accept the lenders valuation survey or get your own surveyor in?

It's mid-80's 4 bed semi. What would the norm be? To accept the lenders valuation survey or get your own surveyor in?

I'd get the surveyor to do a home buyer survey. The only problem with surveyors in my experience is that they just tick a load of boxes and if they do find something not quite right they have a habit of saying 'you need to get another survey!

My own BS website quite good at explaining what the surveys do.

http://www.yorkshirebuildingsociety.co.uk/...nging/costs.jsp

Do you know a good builder who can go round the house? They might be more objective in finding any potential problems.

Edited by Too expensive to trade up

I found myself in the ridiculous situation of smiling at that news just as i'm buying a bloody house. Still, give it a few years and that mythical next rung will be that much closer... relatively speaking.

Depending upon your part of the county, in reality that next rung is going to be much further away. If the market does go down steeply then it will take many years for recent FTBs etc to pay off the negative equity and build up enough capital to move onto the next step in the ladder.

IMO get at least a 'Homebuyers Report', (preferably a FSS).

The bloke who did the valuation on my house did little more than enter each room...

Might cost you a few quid now, £450+ but its buttons in comparison with being tucked up with a load of grief :o

Depending upon your part of the county, in reality that next rung is going to be much further away. If the market does go down steeply then it will take many years for recent FTBs etc to pay off the negative equity and build up enough capital to move onto the next step in the ladder.

I would agree with that in general terms. My circumstances are such that i've got a reasonable deposit for house prices to fall into plus my pay will increase quickly over the next couple of years. I'm going into it with my eyes open and am pretty certain my deposit will get eaten by the coming fall in prices. It's tough luck on me I suppose.

I'm ... pretty certain my deposit will get eaten by the coming fall in prices. It's tough luck on me I suppose.

WTF?????????? :huh::o

Man, the missus is going to cost you!

Did she wear you down gradually or did you just crack?

I am convinced that this is the hardest part of riding out the turning market.

Why does this thread remind me of a former work colleage who once told me that living by himself and visiting high class hookers as needed would have been a lot cheaper than getting married?

I've done both and the hookers are definitely better and cheaper. You're not paying for sex but for the fact that they f**k off after.

The bloke who did the valuation on my house did little more than enter each room...

Might cost you a few quid now, £450+ but its buttons in comparison with being tucked up with a load of grief :o

Not sure. A Homebuyer's report is pretty comprehensive, and will cost you £500 at least. You and the lender will both get a copy of the report. You could get a full structural survey done, but all it'll do is identify problems that the HBR probably would've turned up anyway, it won't do anything about them, and you'll have spent a packet on it :(

Man if women didn't have pussies I swear down we'd throw rocks at them. But yes you're right you're better off alone and shagging high class hookers as needed e.g. Monday brunette, following week blond etc etc. Hmm its Friday feel like some Chinese ;)

WTF?????????? :huh::o

I know why it looks like craven stupidity but i've thought it through.

I'll lose say 25% (45k ish) of the houses value but i'm in a nice area in a house that will be more than adequate for our needs. Just as importantly, i'm in a very secure job with gauranteed incremental pay scales with very little prospect of a move.

The coming hpc will be virtually transparent to me (directly if not indirectly through recession) and so i'll ride it out. If the house, area and job weren't all spot-on I wouldn't be doing it I can assure you.

Is there a business to be had ringing people#s other halfs and giving them the bad news that they can't buy a house this year?

;-)

£50 a go?

I charge £25.00 + VAT

Im going to setup a call centre in india with hundreds of operators, charge £20 and pay my staff peanuts...

Mine's going to be british lead, but dirt cheap economy geared toward the consumer disposable end of the market. There will be a range of pre-set greetings and message at a scale from 5.99 for a 20 second call to 12.99 for the delux 4 minute call.

Greetings will be designed around three five six themes:

Camomile Calm

Religious overtones

New Age No worries

Sexy Non-buyer

Hostile Relationship

Joke message

Edited by Elizabeth

Good advice to go around with a builder. Go with him if you can and check

1 If any chimney breasts have been taken out is the chimney above held up or suspended on thin air.

2 Look at the proximity of trees to the property (weeping willows should be avoided at all costs!)

3 Find out when any through rooms were knocked through if they have been done over 25 years then they will probably be ok for the next 25 years.

4 Get roof checked out look up in loft space to check no daylight showing through felt. Look to see if chimneys are damp - flashing might need replacing.

5 Condition of gutters.

6 Condition of windows.

7 Look for any cracks, door frames that appear to have dropped or shifted.

8 Establish where any manhole covers are for inspecting drains

9 Look at electricity supply and boiler, to determine age etc

Good Luck :rolleyes:

As you probably know there are 2 types of survey:

Homebuyers Report, where the surveyor arrives, wanders through the house, looks out the windows, and charges you £300 for a copied letter.

Full structural survey, where the surveyor arrives, wanders through the house, looks out the windows, scratches his head, and charges you £600 for a copied letter.

In my experience you will get most value from the report if you can arrange to meet the surveyor on site.

A surveyor will often spend less than 10 minutes on a site, however in the presence of a prospective buyer they will feel inclined to stay a little longer.

Pay for whichever report you feel comfortable, but ask him/her to explain ALL the issues in your presence.

If you have to take a few hours off work it will be well worth the effort.

That way you will really understand if there are serious problems/potential costs etc.

Edited by BandWagon