House Price Crash Forum
VacantPossession

Vi Spin.....reaching All-time Record

I can't be alone in seething frustration at the ludicrous levels of desperation spin about houseprices, peddled by ALL the media. Even traditionally aware newspapers like the Observer and Guardian are, just like everyone else, trotting out any old VI spin without any attempt to question it.

This is more than a passive response to any old cobblers some EA or other property pressure group hands to a newsdesk. It is a systematic, deliberate, palpable policy in the media to talk prices up, even at the point when the tide of house deflation is engulfing the nation.

Every time Channel Four or the Beeb quotes RIC's latest lies, and they ARE lies, another 10 million gullible, igonorant, unaware people believe it. In normal circumstances this is well containable, because the market is stronger than any spin. But in the current circumstances, so powerful and all-encompassing is the media's hold on Vested Interests, since almost everyone in the media has a PERSONAL vested interest themselves, it is quite possibly distorting the natural outcome, albeit temporarily.

I have lost count of the number of people I know who do actually believe every word uttered by the media about property. It is as though the whole UK has suspended its critical faculties.

Discuss please.

VP

I can't be alone in seething frustration at the ludicrous levels of desperation spin about houseprices, peddled by ALL the media. Even traditionally aware newspapers like the Observer and Guardian are, just like everyone else, trotting out any old VI spin without any attempt to question it.

This is more than a passive response to any old cobblers some EA or other property pressure group hands to a newsdesk. It is a systematic, deliberate, palpable policy in the media to talk prices up, even at the point when the tide of house deflation is engulfing the nation.

Every time Channel Four or the Beeb quotes RIC's latest lies, and they ARE lies, another 10 million gullible, igonorant, unaware people believe it. In normal circumstances this is well containable, because the market is stronger than any spin. But in the current circumstances, so powerful and all-encompassing is the media's hold on Vested Interests, since almost everyone in the media has a PERSONAL vested interest themselves, it is quite possibly distorting the natural outcome, albeit temporarily.

I have lost count of the number of people I know who do actually believe every word uttered by the media about property. It is as though the whole UK has suspended its critical faculties.

Discuss please.

VP

VP

you only have to look back at the media reports leading up to and during the last correction. (there are links somewhere on the home page)

so much is at stake for the VI's, its understandable they're fighting as they go down (Nero, Rome etc..)

you know what happens next....

:)

Discuss please.

The main problem is that the media spin works effectively because it's backed up by actual statistics on property, which only has ever had one period of nominal drops.

People don't understand cycles, don't understand markets, and are financially illiterate - even though all of this information is readily available when you look past the headlines and do your own reading.

VI spin can be defeated through education, but there's billions of pounds behind the mortgage lenders/EAs and no-one who gives a flying f**k about FTBs, and yes that even includes some STRs who sold their houses at the top of the market to some unsuspecting FTB at peak prices.

I've said this before, but you could look at property as being one long bull market, driven by the baby boomers.

Youngsters look at their parents who've done well out of both pensions and property, and think they can do the same.

Except that I don't think it's going to work for this generation like it did the last.

Discuss please.

VP

With respect, don't make the assumption critical faculties were ever much present.

The whole edifice couldn't function if they had been.

Sorry, history teaches us this.

I've said this before, but you could look at property as being one long bull market, driven by the baby boomers.

Youngsters look at their parents who've done well out of both pensions and property, and think they can do the same.

Except that I don't think it's going to work for this generation like it did the last.

The above statement is very true!

The population of most 'Western' nations is falling - and they still talk about a housing shortage?

Who seriously thinks that as the population declines that property will become scare? Immigration won't solve the problem either because these people are only interested in earning a few Quid and then going back 'home' to spend it.

Pensions - now there's yet another 'slight of hand'.

Cheers.

A defence lawyer for one of Saddam Hussein's co-defendants has been executed after being abducted, police have announced.

Mmmmm. Wonder who was behind it? The same boys who were behind those recent bomb attacks in Iran ;)

Wonder if the press will push for the truth or just go along with the US/British spin machine.

The main problem is that the media spin works effectively because it's backed up by actual statistics on property, which only has ever had one period of nominal drops.

People don't understand cycles, don't understand markets, and are financially illiterate - even though all of this information is readily available when you look past the headlines and do your own reading.

VI spin can be defeated through education, but there's billions of pounds behind the mortgage lenders/EAs and no-one who gives a flying f**k about FTBs, and yes that even includes some STRs who sold their houses at the top of the market to some unsuspecting FTB at peak prices.

Hi,

Yep. Have a good long look at the current demographic structure of the nation. 20-30 years from now there will be massive fall in the number of older folk as us baby boomers die off. This is assuming that living beyond 100 does not become common place, that we don't have mass, mass, mass immigration or younger folk now don't start having 6-10 children faimilies. If that doesn't change, where does the demand conditions similar to the last 30 years that drove the big big booms of this century going to come from?

With respect, don't make the assumption critical faculties were ever much present.

The whole edifice couldn't function if they had been.

Sorry, history teaches us this.

Well, I didn't mean to be rude about the entire population but it does seem as though where property is concerned millions HAVE no critical faculties at all. Could be partially related to the amount of loans they have a VESTED INTEREST in, thus wishing the market up, so their "investment" doesn't go down. :D

VP