House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jayne The Payne

Fake Sold Signs

Now, I thought I'd better check (local library resources, I have chopped bits):

The Independent (London, England), August 5, 2004 p18

Estate agent fined for fake sold signs. (News)

Full Text: COPYRIGHT 2004 Independent Newspapers (UK) Ltd.

AN ESTATE agency has been fined a total of pounds 4,800 by magistrates in Maidenhead, Berkshire, for posting sold signs at the homes of employees to drum up trade. Imperial Estate Agents put the signs at two directors' homes and a third at another employee's property, although none was for sale.

The Evening Standard (London, England), April 15, 2003 p16

Estate agent is fined for placing fake Sold signs; COMPANY AND ITS BOSS MUST PAY £14,000 FOR 'FLYBOARDING' MORE THAN 100 HOMES. Rob Mcneil.

Full Text: COPYRIGHT 2003 Solo Syndication Limited

Byline: ROB MCNEIL

AN estate agency has been ordered to pay more than £14,000 in fines and costs for putting up its Sold and To Let signs outside homes that were not even on the market.

Lynx Estate Agents placed signs all over south London, claiming to have sold properties that the company had no dealings with in the hope that house hunters would consider it the most successful agents in the area.

Trading standards officers estimate that the company "flyboarded" more than 100 homes in the area, putting up the signs in gardens, on fences and on land outside blocks of flats.

The prosecution comes just 12 months after the firm was fined £500 for featuring properties on publicity leaflets that were not for sale and were not on its books.

The case highlights the escalating problem of flyboarding as unscrupulous estate agents increasingly turn to underhand tactics to win new business.

Flyboarding is illegal because it contravenes the Trades Description Act.

(...)

The company came unstuck on that occasion when it sent out a photograph of the home of Janet Grigg - a Lambeth Tory councillor - who had no intention of selling her home at all.

She said at the time: "Many people in this area are my constituents and know this is my house. I would never dream of moving house without letting everybody know about it."

(...)

Methink most people just ring the agents and put the sign in the bin.

They've been doing this for years - depending on the market they vary the sign "For Sale/Sold/To let".

I lived in a small block of flats just off a busy road (very close to a Sainsbury's superstore) for 13 years and there were at least 3 boards up for most of the time I lived there.

I even complained once (via e-mail) to "Your Move" as I searched for the apparently "For Sale/To let" properties but there were none.

As I'm sure you've guessed I never got a response - the boards are probably still there - they were last time I visited 3 months ago.

A few times????? :blink:

Peter.

Yeah twice over the space of about a year.

Like I say, the EA confirmed it was a mistake and nobody thought anymore of it.

I was only a kid at the time, but I don't remember my parents reading too much into it.

They've been doing this for years - depending on the market they vary the sign "For Sale/Sold/To let".

I lived in a small block of flats just off a busy road (very close to a Sainsbury's superstore) for 13 years and there were at least 3 boards up for most of the time I lived there.

I even complained once (via e-mail) to "Your Move" as I searched for the apparently "For Sale/To let" properties but there were none.

As I'm sure you've guessed I never got a response - the boards are probably still there - they were last time I visited 3 months ago.

If they are really taking the mickey you could always take them down.

Some time ago an estate agent attached a sold sign to a lamppost at the end of my street. It was simple to nip along with a pair of pliers and take it down.

If they are really taking the mickey you could always take them down.

Some time ago an estate agent attached a sold sign to a lamppost at the end of my street. It was simple to nip along with a pair of pliers and take it down.

I never liked to in case someone was actually trying to "Let/Sell" their flat (you can call me a wimp)

That's probably what the EA's rely on.

I don't live their anymore, escaped to the country just over a year ago,

but I'll bet the signs are still there.

why didnt you take them down ?

thats the problem with the british,. they are afraid to take any direct action against their govt or corrupt businesses.

I was wondering tonight what the rules are when a house is advertised as 'Reduced' when it is the same price it has been for several months?

That's almost too easy. Can I, canI ?

Because house prices always go up, any house that has been on the market for several months has by definition increased in value.

Therefore by keeping the price the same, it is 'reduced' in comparison with the new, higher, valuation.

:D:D:D

In the Poole and Bourenmouth area I have noticed a lot of 'Sold' signs for flats at busy traffic light junctions. This could mean that there is a higher turnover of these lower priced properties or that the EA's know they will be noticed more while people sit waiting in their cars for the lights to change? Who knows?

Perhaps for us the only way of knowing would be to take pictures of these areas every month and check on houseprices.co.uk to see if they are being actually sold.