House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DonnieDarker

Financial Dilemma...shares

I have some shares in Daejan, a US company who hold a property portfolio over there and in the UK.

I've had the shares for about 4 years and they have grown from costing £1500 to being worth £4000.

My dilemma is whether to sell them or not. I would appreciate any advice from the FTSE-Think-Tank.

Reasons to sell

FTSE taking a hammering

from what I read here property in US and UK is taking a battering

I can realise a 150% profit

Reaons to keep

the financial advisor whom my family has used and I now use thinks they are worth keeping hold of.

the shares have a net asset value of £45...they currently trade for about £34

the last time I thought about selling the advisor said wait and sure enough they grew about 20%. (that was about 3 months ago)

Any new angles from posters would be appreciated as as it stands I cant really decide but I am hedging towards selling up, largely for the sake of taking the profit.

I have read elswehere that it is a good idea to have "rules". I think this is my problem, I don't have any.

What rules do you have about selling up? (I've heard the one about sell 50% quantity when the share is worth 100% more)

PS.

Apologies for putting this on the house-page but not everyone looks at investment.

I have some shares in Daejan, a US company who hold a property portfolio over there and in the UK.

I've had the shares for about 4 years and they have grown from costing £1500 to being worth £4000.

the financial advisor whom my family has used and I now use thinks they are worth keeping hold of.

the last time I thought about selling the advisor said wait and sure enough they grew about 20%. (that was about 3 months ago)

Don't be greedy or pathetic

Sell

Holding and they go to £5500 will not change your life

You've made 160% ffs

Your adviser is not you - anyway if he's a fnancial adviser he'll be an idiot - we/they mostly are

My dilemma is whether to sell them or not. I would appreciate any advice from the FTSE-Think-Tank.

Reasons to sell

FTSE taking a hammering

from what I read here property in US and UK is taking a battering

I can realise a 150% profit

Reaons to keep

Any new angles from posters would be appreciated as as it stands I cant really decide but I am hedging towards selling up, largely for the sake of taking the profit.

I have read elswehere that it is a good idea to have "rules". I think this is my problem, I don't have any.

What rules do you have about selling up? (I've heard the one about sell 50% quantity when the share is worth 100% more)

PS.

Apologies for putting this on the house-page but not everyone looks at investment.

Sell and lock in profits before it all goes t**s up!

The price of shares and the income derived from them can go down as well as up and investors may not get back the amount originally invested. Investors should be aware that past performance is not necessarily a reference to future performance. You should take independent financial advice before making any investment decision.

Firstly DD no one ever got poor by taking a profit.

Personally i would set a stop loss and _risk_ a little bit, depends how much you want to milk them - keep in mind theres nothing like greed to wipe out all your profits

Fundamentals

Year Ending Sales (£m) Pre-tax (£m) EPS P/E PEG EPS Grth. Div Yield

31-Mar-03 84.13 30.69 126.30p 9.4 n/a n/a 55.00p 4.6%

31-Mar-04 90.01 30.44 140.60p 16.4 1.4 +11% 58.00p 2.5%

31-Mar-05 88.85 31.27 133.80p 21.8 n/a -5% 61.00p 2.1%

Forecasts

Year Ending Sales (£m) Pre-tax (£m) EPS P/E PEG EPS Grth. Div Yield

31-Mar-06 n/a n/a 116.84p 28.7 n/a -13% 61.00p 1.8%

31-Mar-07 n/a n/a 121.14p 27.7 7.5 +4% 64.00p 1.9%

If you trust some candlestick analysis...

http://www.britishbulls.com/StockPage.asp?...INANCIALS&Typ=S

This is the past 6 months (no reflection of the future blah blah) they rose 5p today

chart_11559_6month_194x140.png

post-1435-1129828184_thumb.jpg

I think it's a mainly British company with some property in the USA - EPIC is DJAN - seems very well run with some quality properties.

I wouldn't pretend to know whether you should hold or stick.

90% sure I will sell the lot. Definitely if my profit drops to near 140%.

I am going to reinvest the profits anyway - probably in companies I think could do well out of the Olympics.

Edited by DonnieDarker

If it was me, I would sell. Why don't you take out your initial investment, plus a bit of profit and leave a small portion of profit in there? See how it fairs, and if it starts moving down pull it out??

General advice. (For when the whole market direction seems OK)

Consider the rate of change in the price of your stock recently.

You might be emotionally attached to it because it has done you well from the buy-point, but it its recent relative performance mediocre compared to other possibilities?

I'll consider this.

I need to find out what the fees are for selling/buying to be honest and work out if it is worth it.

Waht %age of your total portfolio is in this stock? If >5%, sell at least half and take the profit. If >10%, sell the lot. you've made a profit and you're too exposed.

Waht %age of your total portfolio is in this stock? If >5%, sell at least half and take the profit. If >10%, sell the lot. you've made a profit and you're too exposed.

I'd sold them all before I read this but thanks anyway. I may employ this rule as it sounds fairly conservative which suits me.

In answser to your question the stock was about 40% of my total portfolio. I wouldnt call it a portfolio though. I only have 3 stocks and some cash in there now. I effectively swapped the profit on this deal for investing in a company I hope will get work out of the Olympics next year.

Thanks. (I sincerely mean that). (reply to Financial Planner).

What in your opinion is being greedy when it comes to shares?

When a person has made so much profit and they wonder if they can eke a bit more, then its being greedy. Sorry if I sounded aggressive but it never ceases to amaze me how people will not lock in huge unexpected profits. Not you. They thinking they know what they're doing. Its like HPs - oh yes we've made gazillions 'cost we're brilliant property investors.

No, you got lucky!

cheers :D

When a person has made so much profit and they wonder if they can eke a bit more, then its being greedy. Sorry if I sounded aggressive but it never ceases to amaze me how people will not lock in huge unexpected profits. Not you. They thinking they know what they're doing. Its like HPs - oh yes we've made gazillions 'cost we're brilliant property investors.

No, you got lucky!

cheers :D

You're right. I'm just getting my toes wet with the dealing aspect now. As others have suggested I am going to set myself some 'commandments' and one of these will be deciding at what %profit I will call it a day and sell-up.

In future anything approaching 150% I will just sell up without a thought.

You're right. I'm just getting my toes wet with the dealing aspect now. As others have suggested I am going to set myself some 'commandments' and one of these will be deciding at what %profit I will call it a day and sell-up.

In future anything approaching 150% I will just sell up without a thought.

Another view is to sell what it cost and the rest you will know is pure profit.