House Price Crash Forum

Tumbleweed

The Masked Tulip

HOLA441
HOLA442

Hi I'm here if it's any help. There is no-one on the NI forum either so I'm lonely too :)

Hugs!

I know they all haven't bought. I know 3 who have and 2 others who were thinking about it... but I am beginning to feel like that guy at the end of 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' who suddenly realises he is the last Human in the town.

HOLA443
HOLA444

How nice to hear from you. Welcome to the forum.

I'm still waiting too even though we've got a 50% crash over in NI. I'll wait till I see value.

Sat in v expensive Balham but beginning to think about returning to the land of my fathers (well grandfather from Lleyn and grandmother from Swansea).

Not sure who the Londoners are who are selling high & buying low (well, pretty high) in Wales. Not much selling round our neck of the woods, but anecdotally most people are (still) moving to Surrey to commute in.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I'm still here .Think the forum reflects what's happening in the Swansea market. Sellers can't/won't sell at more realistic valuations whilst potential buyers are being being deterred by delusional asking prices and difficulties in raising finance. I don't expect the state of affairs to change unless the gubbermint stops rigging the market (highly unlikely)

HOLA448

Still here and waiting for the HB cut`s to filter through ,the 1 bed flat market started to capitulate just before Xmas it`s just a matter of time before we start to see how many of the leveraged BTL brigade are naked in the water ,a few more interest rate hikes and it will all be going to plan

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Why buy now when after the Olympics London is going to crash taking out the rest of the UK with it. The government are going to be powerless to stop it this time since they used up all of the amo.

I hope your right!! I need an injection of enthusiasm!! B)

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

long time lurking, lots of cheap 1 bedders comming on o the market here in Dover:

Flats on rightmove from £30k

I must say tho that £30k for a 1 bed flat around here seems a lot (although I would never buy a flat)

What area are you looking in?

South East wales the vale of glamorgan (not the posh part ) but Cardiff is inundated with one beder`s and looking at the area`s that are traditionally student let`s there seems to be a vast number up for sale, terrace`s split in two and new build which were unlet for a long time (September last year) before they were put on the market

The middle to top end are still in cloud cuckoo land and have been for a long time ,its mainly the the bottom end that`s dropping and the number of repossessions are on the up to intresting times ahead I think

HB will just about pay a IO mortgage if the place was bought @ anywhere near peak with a high LTV and that was before the cut`s which are not that big but with no hpi in sight and IR`s on the up with remortgaging difficult I think capitulation is now coming to town ,It`s happened with the 1 bed side already

Edited by long time lurking

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Yep. Doing my bit by making insultingly low offers in Swansea West. Pretty sure we've been robbed of the jackpot though, and am just trying to minimise my exposure to future risk.

Keep up the good work. It is good to know I am not alone.

Maybe we should co-ordinate and go in and offer lower and lower offers on certain houses - bid each other down!? :blink:

HOLA4415

Keep up the good work. It is good to know I am not alone.

Maybe we should co-ordinate and go in and offer lower and lower offers on certain houses - bid each other down!? :blink:

Tempting though it sounds, the law of unintended consequences tells us that sellers would probably focus on the numbers of bidders doubling and end up hardening their position.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Tempting though it sounds, the law of unintended consequences tells us that sellers would probably focus on the numbers of bidders doubling and end up hardening their position.

Surely you and TMT could run a double act?

Say there was a house on for £300k that you would buy for £250k. You ask TMT to ring the agent and say "That house is way overvalued at £300k, if the vendor is interested in £210k I'd view it". When the agent tells TMT no, at least the seeds of doubt have been sown. Then you follow up with £240k but do it all pre-viewing.

What's the worst that can happen.....?

OK it's TMT getting the house for £210k but at least you would have made a fellow HPCer happy!

HOLA4422

Surely you and TMT could run a double act?

Say there was a house on for £300k that you would buy for £250k. You ask TMT to ring the agent and say "That house is way overvalued at £300k, if the vendor is interested in £210k I'd view it". When the agent tells TMT no, at least the seeds of doubt have been sown. Then you follow up with £240k but do it all pre-viewing.

What's the worst that can happen.....?

OK it's TMT getting the house for £210k but at least you would have made a fellow HPCer happy!

That would work for me... but, alas, the denial is still here big time with EAs refusing to pass on low offers now. Well, they seem to alternate between refusing to pass on low offers one day and, the next, wanting low offers to be put forward so that it gives a dose of realisation to the seller.

Truth is, with obvious exceptions, many in the local EA game appear to have got into to it during the boom and now seem to think that having to work to flog a house is somehow beneath them.

A case in point - a house came on in Mumbles last May or June. I saw the day it turned up on their website and up on RM. I went down that day to ask to view the house but the EA gave me some nonsense about it not being on the market yet.

For the rest of the year, right up until January 2012, I would regularly asked to view the house but I would get a different story each time from the EA. In the end I lost interest but I kept asking to view wanting to know what was going on.

Anyhow, last week that house turned up for sale with a different EA. I suspect they got little or no viewings last year.

I have half a mind to go knock on their door and ask the seller if they ever did have a viewing.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

dont these guts know you by sight by now as a serial viewer....and just know they are not going to get a sale ?

No, not at all. Actually, I don't view that many houses. I don't think I physically viewed even 5 houses last year and no more than 15 in 5 years.

I make good use of the internet. I know what I am looking for in a house so I can tell by location, style of house, etc, whether I wish to view or not. You can see it all up on the photos online. The 'good' EAs know this and when I find the house I like at the price I like I will buy.

I do often go into an EA's office and view their photos of the houses - quite often they will have taken more photos than which appear on RM or on their own websites. In once case, a house I was half and half about viewing actually turned out to have the best photos on their officev PCs and not up on-line. Bizarre.

There ARE good EAs in Swansea and they often tell me of people who view endlessly with them. People who have no idea of what type of house they want or what location. For example, I have often been in two EA offices - those that I use frequently - listening to people who have come in to register to view properties. When asked where they wish to buy such people then literally list EVERY single suburb in Swansea - as West as the Gower and as East as up the top of Swansea Valley. That is a good 15 to 20 mile difference. Those people are the timewasters as they clearly have not thought about where they intend to live and are just viewing endlessly.

A good case in point is a house that was on for just under 400K last year in Swansea West area of Swansea. The sellers had an offer of almost full asking price on the first day, then proceeded to wait several months for the sale to complete. When it eventually fell through the sellers discovered that the couple who had made the offer were notorious in Swansea EA circles for putting in bids on all sorts of expensive houses, but never completing.

However, even though the EA firm allegedly knew this, they not only allowed that couple to view but they also accepted the offer. You would have thought that, at the very least, they could have told the seller not to expect a completion. The house is now on sale for 75Kish or so less now. Apparently that couple is still viewing houses in Swansea West and putting in offers.

I know what I want, where I want it location-wise and I will buy when I find it. The EAs I use know this also. I came close about 6 weeks ago to actually buying.

Yes, perhaps there are some EAs who think that I am a timewaster - I can't help that. What I can tell you is that in the same EA office that I could not view that house with made it nigh on impossible for a friend of mine to buy a house in Mumbles. They stopped her from viewing a house for about 6 months. In the end she knocked on the seller's door to get a viewing.

I also know of a lady from England who walked into that same office wearing a pair of scruffy looking but actually very expensive designer jeans (relevant - who knows?). She tried to arrange viewings on several properties but was allegedly given all sorts of **** and bull stories why she oculdn't look at certain houses. That lady is a millionaire who had moved to Swansea and who was looking to buy 4 or 5 investment properties. She could not believe the attitude.

I feel for the hard-working, good EAs in Swansea. Like all sales people, you have to take everything they say with a pinch of salt, but there are some lovely people out there. Unfortunately, they get tainted in the same way that most in any sales profession get tainted - by the worst.

Go figure.