House Price Crash Forum

Any April Fools Jokes?

pl1

Does anyone fall for it anymore? Was a time when people believed spaghetti grew on trees but in these days of everyone and their dog emailing out a smart-ar*e Snopes link when an "internet story" does the rounds, I wonder if April fools has had it's day?

I fell for the one about the world bassoon shortage! Luckily the local music shop is shut today so I couldn't stock up! :huh:

April Fool's Day is actually only half a day, from midnight until 12 noon. If you stage any pranks after that time then officially you are the fool.

Again this post is probably 20 years too late. I think everyone knows this already nowadays. Thanks to, well, the Internet.

Again this post is probably 20 years too late. I think everyone knows this already nowadays.

I don't think people do understand this, I get the impression that it's been going on all day - it'll stretch to a week if we're not careful..................

April Fool's Day is actually only half a day, from midnight until 12 noon. If you stage any pranks after that time then officially you are the fool.

"He who fools me after twelve

Is the April fool himself"...my Grandma, circa 1956.

I actually managed to perpetrate two in one April 1st, and both were successful! The first was a reply to an email from an ultra feminist colleague, who, when Dominique Strauss-Kahn was originally arrested, ranted and raved at some length about how he should be castrated, given life without parole etc. etc. As a P.S. to the email, I wrote:

"Oh, by the way, I'm sure you'll be delighted (not!) that DSK has been awarded this year's Virago prize for women's advancement in recognition at the miscarriage of justice he suffered when he was arrested last year".

Got a message back about an hour later saying that she'd Googled like mad but couldn't find anything!

The victim of my second April Fool was my future father-in-law, who is an ultra-conservative Seventh-Day Adventist (a Christian denomination, the main distinguishing feature of which is that their church services take place on a Saturday rather than a Sunday). With reference to a church a couple of towns away from him that he loathes, because the pastor there is too liberal for his liking, I asked if he'd heard the story on the local news about how that pastor had agreed to allow the church to be used as a mosque for Friday prayers, because the building wasn't used on Friday anyway and they desparately needed the rental income. The only stumbling block, I added, was that the city council might not grant planning permission for the minaret because some residents had made complaints about the likely noise that would be caused by the call to prayers. Back came a 2,000 word reply, complete with numerous Bible quotations, the gist of which was that this was Satan's way of testing us, etc. etc. etc.

So, I managed to p!ss off both the ultra left and the ultra right with April fools - a nice morning's work!

I can't find any historical precedent that says that April Fools jokes must be played before 12pm?

See my last. My Grandma knew what she was talking about. She goes back to 1893. That's historical precedent for you. So there!

The local news TV stations here in Fairbanks, AK, are full of an April fool yesterday on an Alaska Airlines flight. As people were getting on board, a flight attendant made an announcement asking anyone with children under 10 to take them to the front of the plane to be tagged and checked in as hold luggage, because "this is required under federal regulations". Didn't end well - "distraught" and "traumatised" parent now ranting on the TV, threatening a six-figure lawsuit, with a child psychologist from some pressure group backing her up...

Archived