House Price Crash Forum

Swansea House Of The Day

The Masked Tulip

HOLA441

Three Crosses is quite popular with doctors (consultants) working in Singleton and Morriston. I don't think any consultant, aside from those that bought pre-boom elsewhere, would be able to afford anything like that however.

It used to be but interestingly in recent years quite a few doctors I personally know have taken advantage of selling up and downsizing.

Internet speed/connectivity is still poor there apparently.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

It used to be but interestingly in recent years quite a few doctors I personally know have taken advantage of selling up and downsizing.

Internet speed/connectivity is still poor there apparently.

The other development is the running down of Singleton. All the surgical services are moving or have moved to Morriston. The intensive care unit has shut down. Maternity services will also move. There is talk of moving all medical admissions to Morriston - basically to leave Singleton as a non-acute/rehab hospital.

Less doctors would want to live in Mumbles/Langland etc if the commute is to Morriston every day.

HOLA443

The other development is the running down of Singleton. All the surgical services are moving or have moved to Morriston. The intensive care unit has shut down. Maternity services will also move. There is talk of moving all medical admissions to Morriston - basically to leave Singleton as a non-acute/rehab hospital.

Less doctors would want to live in Mumbles/Langland etc if the commute is to Morriston every day.

They want the land for the uni - but the uni is going elsewhere. I supposed, eventually, it will be expensive houses but probably not for a few decades.

I had no idea about plans to move maternity to Morriston. I had no idea that the ITU had gone - isn't the small unit still there?

I think if you are a doctor you would still want to live on the West of Swansea... but some people think 5 miles to work is like being slave-ridden don't they :)

HOLA444

LOL

Maybe they would move West in their droves to escape the horrors of Morriston?

HOLA445

They want the land for the uni - but the uni is going elsewhere. I supposed, eventually, it will be expensive houses but probably not for a few decades.

I had no idea about plans to move maternity to Morriston. I had no idea that the ITU had gone - isn't the small unit still there?

I think if you are a doctor you would still want to live on the West of Swansea... but some people think 5 miles to work is like being slave-ridden don't they :)

I was actually thinking it would make living in or near Cardiff more attractive. Most hospital doctors follow the jobs rather than choosing the city. If you have to commute from Cardiff then Singleton can be a bit annoying to get to and from at rush hour due to the distance from the motorway. Getting from Mumbles to Morriston can take as long as going there from Cardiff.

HOLA446

I don't seem to be able to edit posts but I'd add - the ITU was downgraded a few years ago. It's still signposted as ITU and used for more unwell patients but the only intensive care facilities are in Morriston. There is also talk of stopping medical admissions altogether at Singleton. This will almost certainly happen at some point as once most of the other services are off-site it makes taking unwell admissions more risky.

HOLA447

Thanks - very interesting.

Btw, I don't think you can edit posts or pm people until you reach a hundred posts. Even then I think you have to stick a post in the upgrade forum and a moderator will upgrade your accounts.

I think a lot of people quickly get to 100 posts by posting "+1" to posts they agree to in the main forum just to bump themselves quickly up to a 100. Or you could just post in the upgrade forum and perhaps a mod will upgrade your account anyhow.

HOLA448

Ultimately the Assembly wishes to build a mega hospital just north of the M4 on the old, what was it, steel works or something.

They've tried for years to attract businesses there but none have come because of our Mickey Mouse ways. So the plan is, apparently, to run down Singleton, Llanelli, Havefordwest and Camrarthen, focus more and more on Morriston and then have an excuse to build their super hospital.

I really would not want to be someone living west of loughor if and when that happens... but with the traffic system in Swansea I would not fancy living in most parts of Swansea south of Morfa.

Don't forget, being able to get quickly to Singleton, as a full emergency hospital, was also one of the reasons why people wanted to live in the west of the city.

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Look at this one - been on the market since 2010. Last reduced asking price, before today, in 2011 and no price reductions in asking last year.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-31867448.html

5 bedroom semi-detached house for sale £349,950 - Rose Cottage Cae Mansel Road, Three Crosses, SA4

30 April 2013 17:50:34

Agents Address found: 45 Gower Road, Sketty, Swansea, SA2 9BX

Detailed Description found: Tenure: Freehold ACCOMMODATION COMPRISES: GROUND FLOOR ENTRANCE Open stone pillared storm canopy to front. Double glazed uPVC front door and side panel, both with leaded glass to hall/study. RECEPTION...

30 April 2013 17:49:45

Price changed: £369,950 £349,950

13 February 2013 22:21:53

Agents Telephone changed: 08431035218 01792939007

13 February 2013 13:23:12

Status changed: Available null

12 April 2012 11:51:27

Agents Location changed: Mumbles Swansea

Agents Telephone changed: 08433148516 08431035218

16 September 2011 20:26:45

Price changed: £399,950 £369,950

10 May 2011 17:22:29

Price changed: £420,000 £399,950

18 February 2011 16:45:04

Brief Description changed: A spacious semi detached five bedroom family home situated in an idyllic rural location, being situated on the Three Crosses to Gowerton Road, affording easy access to the M4 Motorway at Penllergaer, and enjoys lovely open views of the surrounding countryside. NO CHAIN

30 November 2010 23:18:26

Agent found: Simpsons

Agents Location found: Mumbles

Agents Telephone found: 08433148516

30 November 2010 16:23:14

Brief Description found: A spacious semi detached five bedroom family home situated in an idyllic rural location, being situated on the Three Crosses to Gowerton Road, affording easy access to the M4 Motorway at Penllergaer, ...

Price found: £420,000

Status found: Available

Subtitle found: 5 bedroom semi-detached house

Title found: Rose Cottage Cae Mansel Road, Three Crosses, SA4

HOLA4411

I'm pretty sure that doctors need to live within a certain proximity to the hospital that they work and the drive should not be any longer than 15 minutes. This seems to be the benchmark for those clients that we have.

HOLA4412

I'm pretty sure that doctors need to live within a certain proximity to the hospital that they work and the drive should not be any longer than 15 minutes. This seems to be the benchmark for those clients that we have.

Nah, that was doctoring of 30 years ago. I have a consultant living by me who works in Haverfordwest. A friend of mine is a consultant in Cardiff but lives in Swansea.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Maybe it is for surgeons or similar rather than consultants. I don't know, but just go off what is requested.

Many want to be in Penllergaer to be in the middle of both hospitals.

Both these guys are surgeons - and the one near me is often driving off at all hours. When I first heard how far he lived from the hospital my first thought was that I would not wish to be in hospital all that far away waiting for him to arrive.

Three Crosses used to be the main doctor resident but most of the ones I know have moved out of there in the past 5 years. It seems to be becoming much less desirable.

I suspect wanting to be in Penllergaer just makes it easy for Morriston and Llanelli - at the end of the day who wishes to travel long distances to work. When I think of the stress and life wasted when I was travelling to and from London. No way to live.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Its a three bedroom detached in Westcross- the vendor was clearly asking too little initially hence the increase in price by another 10 k since listing. Still, a steal at only 520k

17696_SIM1384_IMG_00_0000_max_620x414.jpg

3 bedroom detached house for sale

£520,000

Cormorant Way, West Cross, SA3

I recall seeing a decent sized 4 bedder on the same street a few years ago- was on for ages at 290k before vanishing, presumably taken off the market due to lack of interest..

HOLA4418

Its a three bedroom detached in Westcross- the vendor was clearly asking too little initially hence the increase in price by another 10 k since listing. Still, a steal at only 520k

17696_SIM1384_IMG_00_0000_max_620x414.jpg

3 bedroom detached house for sale

£520,000

Cormorant Way, West Cross, SA3

I recall seeing a decent sized 4 bedder on the same street a few years ago- was on for ages at 290k before vanishing, presumably taken off the market due to lack of interest..

Yes, I could not believe that when I saw it. 520K asking price - nuts IMPO.

I personally think it is a ludicrous asking price.

4 bedroom detached house for sale, £399,950, Kingston Road, Sketty, Swansea, SA2

79450_SIM2321_IMG_00_0000_max_620x414.jpg

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-39050773.html

Edited by The Masked Tulip

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Big drop in Meridian tower flat - oops, apartment

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-38635601.html?premiumA=true

04 June 2013 04:38:55

Agents Telephone changed: 08451991000 01245249110

04 June 2013 00:31:57

Price changed: Offers in Region of £329,999 £269,999

10 December 2012 13:43:10

Status changed: Premium Listing Listing, null

31 July 2012 21:33:20

Agent found: House Network

Agents Location found: National

Agents Telephone found: 08451991000

13 July 2012 17:59:56

Status changed: Available Premium Listing

12 July 2012 08:49:36

Brief Description found: Housenetwork.co.uk are delighted to offer this beautifully presented 2 double bedroom apartment located on the eighteenth floor of Meridian Tower with stunning sea and marina views. The property benef...

Price found: Offers in Region of £329,999

Status found: Available

Subtitle found: 2 bedroom apartment

Title found: Meridian Tower, Trawler Road, Swansea, Abertawe, SA1 1JW

HOLA4425