House Price Crash Forum

Prepare For A New Era Of Oil Shocks.

I think you're allowed 30 words or something.. but as others have pointed out, you can usually find similar stories elsewhere if the content is worth reading :)

[Edit: To be fair to the FT some people were copying and pasting complete articles which was bound to 'P' them off eventually]

OP posted 31.

GAME OVER MAN GAME OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But the only people saying that oil comes from dead animals are the 'abiotic oil' people. As I have said before, this is a particularly stupid strawman argument. Mainstream petroleum systems says that oil comes from source rocks which themselves contain large amounts of organic matter derived from algae - especially, algae which use oil fulled bladders for bouyancy.

Or, for the sake of our American cousins, GOD PUT ALL THE OIL UNDER THE GROUND FOR US TO USE.

Ok. I just skimmed the post. I thought you meant if demand was kerbed some what then new oil being made could meet it. So thought the figure was 27 million per day.

The point is as a response to LGP and his silly abiotic oil posts. Irrespective of whether oil is formed biotically or as he claims abiotically the accumulation is so slow its irrelevant. If oil was formed at a useful level over human lifespans then the world would be about 3 miles deep in crude oil. Unless of course;

The subterranean folk of midgaard adjust their underground Fischer Tropsch factories output to suit human needs

or

The World is only 7000 years old.

;)

What would happen to the oil price if the demand from at least half of the brics went pop I wonder?!

Initially a very big fall in price. Price would then drift upwards as higher cost production dropped out and demand increased elsewhere in response to lower prices.

See oil price from September 2008 to September 2011 for comparable scenario regarding demand and response.

If oil was formed at a useful level over human lifespans then the world would be about 3 miles deep in crude oil.

Damn.

I've been reading this thread thinking - i hope that guy is right, then we'd have an infinite supply of fuel, an energy revolution, and we could keep driving proper cars rather than these horrible eco-box white goods that are taking over.

I so wanted it to be true, but that one line kills it.

Edited by pilchardthecat

Damn.

I've been reading this thread thinking - i hope that guy is right, then we'd have an infinite supply of fuel, an energy revolution, and we could keep driving proper cars rather than these horrible eco-box white goods that are taking over.

I so wanted it to be true, but that one line kills it.

The supply of fissionable material is not infinite, but close enough that it can be regarded as such on any reasonable human timescale.

And given sufficient energy, liquid fuels are basically a matter of chemical engineering.

Shortages of energy in any form are very much an avoidable matter of national choice.. as is global warming on a bigger scale.

I still think LENR may be the answer, but the jury is still out.

Some recent presentations as CERN about it below:

Overview of Theoretical and Experimental Progress in LENR / Srivastava, Yogendra (speaker) (University of Perugia Perugia Italy)

< http://cdsweb.cern.ch/record/1433865>

and

Overview of Theoretical and Experimental Progress in LENR / Celani, Antonio (speaker)

< http://cdsweb.cern.ch/record/1433866>